Thread: Getting credit

Rider, Builder, Dreamer

Getting credit

So it's my last semester of classes here at SUNY Oneonta in central NY. Only taking two classes (one of which is Fluvial Geomorphology). I also have the following:

-paid internship writing a master plan for a 270 acre semi-wilderness property the College has adjacent to campus

-an unpaid, credited internship with the City of Oneonta and Otsego County Tourism mapping and assessing all existing trails (about 30 miles) in Oneonta, then surveying a couple areas and compiling an assessment of where additional infrastructure can be developed. 4 credits.

-an independent study in Advanced Trail Design & Construction (we have a Trail Design & Construction course here). I'll be responsible for what I have been doing for the past 4 years: laying out trail, organizing trail efforts, designing both the entire trail and each individual section. 3 credits.

Pretty stoked to get credit for the stuff I do just for the heck of it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Sounds like your college experience was pretty sick, I decided to start off at community because I didn't want to waste a bunch of money going to university if it wasn't going to be amazing... yours sounds pretty amazing.

Rider, Builder, Dreamer
    yessir, it's been a fun ride (geddit?). Probably going to stay here for a while after graduation and keep with the movement. We've got permission to keep developing several key areas and I've got my eyes on a couple other spots that would be great to use if we could line everything up with the land managers. Then there's potential for this place to be a destination.

Not many college students get to be a part of something like this; I've been absurdly lucky.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by sambs827 View Post
    yessir, it's been a fun ride (geddit?). Probably going to stay here for a while after graduation and keep with the movement. We've got permission to keep developing several key areas and I've got my eyes on a couple other spots that would be great to use if we could line everything up with the land managers. Then there's potential for this place to be a destination.

Not many college students get to be a part of something like this; I've been absurdly lucky.
    I'm sure luck has played some part of it, but it's more likly that YOU have made these opportunities available by taking the bull by the horns. Don't sell yourself short!

Unpredictable
    I'd agree with JM13 on that. Not many people put in effort beyond the minimum required. Good work