Thread: Gehl 223 mini

mtbr member
    Jun 2012

Gehl 223 mini

any one ever use the Gehl 223 mini for build trail in the forest?

Gehl Company - Compact Equipment for Construction and Agriculture

trying to figure out one to get for work.
    Epic trails get built in the Northwest by epic people!

Sustainable quality trails please.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Looks great, hope we can get one....
    There's a big difference between ripping and skidding. Those who skid don't know how to ride.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004
    Now, if that house leveling feature went up to, say, 35 degrees, we would have something....

mtbr member
    Considering the trail thread is supposed to be 5% outsloped, you should not need to have a leveling table on a mini-X. I'd rather get a twist bucket than something like that.

Wacker Neuson also offer leveling table on some models.

If you have the proper benchcut technique, you can cut pretty intense slopes and keep the machine insloped at all time, for safety, then finish the thread behind you with a slight outlsope.
    A trailbuilder from the north

beer thief
    Seems like zero tail swing would be more important than the leveling feature.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004
    I guess I am thinking of it differently, using it 'backwards' on up to 35 degree slopes, while only using the bucket to dig 18-24" wide tread. Narro-wass singletrack sculpture tool....

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    24HP
    18 GPM pump
    tracks go from 39" to 51"
    4200lbs bucket force

This is why I think this mini looks the best for trail building.

The tilt cab is a plus but not the main reason why i like it.
    The tilt would be a good thing to have in the Northwest. Lot's of big roots, tight trees and other things that would make the tilt useful.

Moving the boom side to side can combat not having a zero tail swing. So i don't get hung up not having it. I just like the power to how narrow the thing is. There is no way to get around having to rip out big stumps in the NW. Plus we also have to bushwhack in the minis a lot too, so the tilt will help keep me safe with out having the disturb as much land.

SO have any of you ever actually used this? I just wanted to know if the spec's are as powerful for real trail building as they looks. I need something for huge stumps, thick rooty duff and steep terrain 50%+ cuz the Northwest is like no wear else for building. I've built all over the western US. My easiest day in the NW is easier then my hardest day anywhere else. Also the 5% out slope Guideline doesn't really work to well in the NW, it turns flat hear fast. We have to get more creative then that.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...UX8RuM1IjbRc5A
    Epic trails get built in the Northwest by epic people!

Sustainable quality trails please.