Killer of Chains
    Feb 2004

Garmin GPSMap 62

I was following this like mad last year but went broke when they came out.

Now that I'm nearing possible full time employment as a trail builder this may be necessary.

The gig still the same? Get the cheapest model and download maps?

Thinking about using this with ArcMap via MNDNR Garmin.

mtbr member
    Do you honestly believe that you'll need the Custom Map feature of the 62s? That would be the only advantage over the previous generation. If not, the 60CSx is still a reference and is cheaper than ever. I still use a 60CSx but would consider a 62s if I had to replace mine only because you can use aerial pictures as map background, which would sometimes be very handy.

ArcMAP is nice but expensive. Personnally, I use Touratech QV4 Pro which offer virtually all the same features for 1/10 of the price.

For maps, I use Trak Maps @ 1:20K. About 200$/province and based on official data from NRM.
    A trailbuilder from the north

Killer of Chains
    Feb 2004
    Yes, the organization that I work with already has an Arc license and would like to have custom maps to provide to its customers, so having a testbed would be nice.

Masher
    Aug 2007
    Delorme has a pro bundle of their PN-60 with Esri extension, you can cut raster maps from ArcGIS direct to the '60, and upload tracks/waypoints as shapefiles or gpx.

Killer of Chains
    Feb 2004
    The only thing I'm finding is the ESRI Extension at $249.95...that's alot of money for an extension.

It's my understanding that you can do the same thing for free using GPSBabel or some other options through the Garmin. G-Raster?

Masher
    Aug 2007
    I think you will need to call them to get pricing on this, but the PN-60 plus ESRI extension bundle is about $499... they always discount the GPS when bundled with software.

What sorts of custom maps are you talking about? All you need to do for Garmin custom maps is to make a tiled .kmz with the proper dimensions. I'm not sure ArcGIS even will export in that correct format. 9.3.1 won't...not sure about 10.0.

If you're talking about something a bit more complicated than that, the Garmins really aren't built for it. You can collect line and point data, but that's about it. Having sat imagery available is nice on the Garmins, but getting vector overlays isn't pretty even on the newer ones. I haven't seen a Delorme used with the ESRI extension, but it'd probably be a good bridge bewteen a consumer GPS and a basic PDA running ArcPad (like a Trimble Juno). IME, the Juno is no better than most consumer GPS receivers in reception. In fact, it can be worse, and I've found that to be the case for line data (tracks) at times. The Juno excels, however, in the department of data management, especially when used with ArcPad, where you can "check out" copies of files that are managed server-side, and then "check in" your updates to those files. Geodatabases, when set up correctly beforehand, make the data collection process much faster. You can set attribute options well beforehand, then select them in the field from a simple dropdown menu instead of typing that same information on a touch screen with a stylus. Using that method, you can select different symbology for each attribute when you set up your geodatabase, and that symbology will automatically display in the field when you create the new data.

It sounds to me like something like this is probably what you should go for...but the Delorme + extension is still going to be cheaper than the Juno + ArcPad. Depending on the capabilities of the Delorme, it would probably be by far your most cost effective option relative to performance.

Killer of Chains
    Feb 2004
    I don't need field data gathering to be Trimble levels. I use DNR Garmin with a 60 series right now and get all the information I need. A bunch of waypoints with some notes on a piece of paper works for the small-scale trail builder. I'm not doing natural resource inventories with lots of data and attributes...yet.

What I'd like is to be able to export maps from ArcMap to a Garmin unit so that the users can see where my organization's (a land trust) property and trails are. We're talking at the very least polygons, waypoints, and lines over their basemaps. Rasters would be reserved for trail planning and forestry. It'll also help when laying out new trails to be able to have the "Design Map" on a GPS to see if its corresponds with whats on the ground. These custom maps would also help our planners and foresters by displaying raster maps with extra information on them.

I tried doing this with the 60 series and just kept hitting a wall. The projections or something kept holding me down. I'm sure with more work I could have figured it out, but with all the conversions necessary I wanted either a one or two click option to easily send a map from ArcMap to GPS. My organization prints new maps every week of the summer to keep with the changing trails, maintenance, forestry, and property data. It'd be nice on every Monday just to hit "export" from my updated GIS maps to several GPS units and everyone is on the same page.

With the Trimbles its easy, but they are too expensive. We're a non-profit. I'm worried that the Delorme option will work for me (or a single user), but not for my agency or for the public. The key to this is to be able to make these maps public. We want to allow for downloading of "XXXXX Land Trust GPS Maps" from our website showing Geocaches, Property, Parking, POI and trails.

The Delorme ESRI Extension would be the ticket so long as it "Exported" in a format that a Garmin could read. I have my doubts.
    Last edited by PaintPeelinPbody; 03-16-2011 at 04:15 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I'll be honest, I am not sure exactly what you are looking for, and I am only somewhat versed in GIS. I have used this program http://www.expertgps.com/ to export shape files from gps data. I am pretty sure it will do it in reverse but I don't know what data can be uploaded back to your gps or the actual data you want uploaded. They have a trial version so maybe it will work for you. No idea if that helps but keep the good work up with the non-profit, good luck.

Masher
    Aug 2007
    The Delorme ESRI extension only lets you go back and forth between the PN-60 GPS and ArcGIS. You'll need to look into how ArcGIS exports data to see if it's useable on a Garmin.

You could also use Delorme's XMap and import shapefiles and put the symbolized shapefile layers onto the PN-60. From XMap you can export as gpx format. You would need XMap Editor to directly export shapefiles, which cost more than Pro.

When you say 'make the maps public', if you mean as a pdf you can do that. If you mean available in a map format you can import to Garmins, Delorme, or other GPS units I'm not sure how that can be done as the formats are all quite different. gpx format would let the users overlay standard format data onto their basemaps, regardless of the map format.