newble
    Jul 2009

Foldable shovel?

So I'm looking for a decent shovel I would be able to fold up and put in my bag so as I'm riding I can build with out having to prepare to actually go and build.

Impromptu build if you will...

I have seen a bunch, but I just wonder if anyone has any experience with any that worked well.

Thanks

-joe

Hermit
    I've used the good ol' army folding shovel a bunch. Not exactly high tech, but tough.

http://www.armynavyshop.com/prods/rc51.html

Steve Z
    Pedaling when it's dry
    And paddling when it's wet

My insignificant blog:
    http://swampboy62.blogspot.com/

newble
    Jul 2009
    HI - tech is not needed :-) quality is a winner in my book haha

Thanks Steve!

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

Glock Entrenching Tool

IMO The best folding saw for on the fly trail work is the Glock entrenching tool. Very lite, super strong, has a small saw in the handle. They are more expensive, as are most high quality tools. Cabelas has them for $55.
    www.cabelas.com/p-0049072512357a.shtml

mtbr member
    I have some buddys who use metal detectors and they break all those other ones. These guys use the German Army shovel. The square peg deal doesn't loosen, either.

http://www.galaxyarmynavy.com/item-58.asp

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I second the recommendation for the army surplus German entrenching tool. They are bombproof but heavy and a bit bulky for the average Camelback. I have a couple of them I added longer handles to and I use when I am carrying a backpack where I can strap them onto the outside.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I also use the German Army entrenching tool. It is a very solid tool that will last my lifetime.

I have a camelbak with the exterior flap made to carry a full face helmet and it works very well carrying the tool. I cut part of a leg off of an old pair of levi's, sewed one end closed and use it as a bag to protect the pack from the tool. I found this to be more convenient than taking the leather sheath on and off when moving frequently for drainage work.

newble
    Jul 2009
    As an interim fix I bought the Gerber Gorge. It was 20 bucks... I figure if it breaks whatever.

I know there are surplus stores around here maybe I can pick up something nifty haha

Thanks guys!

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I went to an army surplus store and got a Vietnam era entrenching tool it has a shovel on on side and a pick on the other came with a pouch that I am able to hook to my camel back, "Works great" cost $ 45 bucks but worth every penny, weight is 3lbs.

user-created
    How is the German entrenching tool different than the ones at our local surplus store? I assumed it was US army surplus..... or maybe the guy at the store is really a Kraut !

Anyway, they've got them for $24, comes with a sheath and a fresh coat of green paint. They work good but the handles break frequently.

Stiff yet compliant
    This is my solution.
    I got a small shovel from a hardware store and drilled out the rivet that holds on the handle. Replaced it with a bolt and wingnut.
    $12
    1.7 lbs
    27in long assembled.
    short enough to fit in most backpacks.

I Ride Alone
    Cool!

I have a Glock folding shovel I take sometimes to clear slides.
    Its way cool but kinda small.
    Has a place in the handle for your stash too. And and entrenching tool in case you need to build a latrine or ..entrench.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b2...lockshovel.jpg
    Yours is way better for trail building.
    The Lone Rider.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by singletrack
    How is the German entrenching tool different than the ones at our local surplus store? I assumed it was US army surplus..... or maybe the guy at the store is really a Kraut !

Anyway, they've got them for $24, comes with a sheath and a fresh coat of green paint. They work good but the handles break frequently.
    Obviously I don't know what your local army surplus is stocking, but the other tools I have seen are fairly light duty.

The German entrenching tool (linked above) is a very heavy duty tool. You are not going to break the handle or bend the spike. It won't get sloppy loose with use.

It also has enough heft to do some serious digging.

These tools are great for small amounts of trail work. However, I learned not to use one for 4 hours bent over nicking puddles for drainage. Sore back city.

user-created
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr
    The German entrenching tool (linked above) is a very heavy duty tool. You are not going to break the handle or bend the spike. It won't get sloppy loose with use.
    The tool in the link is the same we use. They work great and and are easy to pack, but we've had a few broken handles nontheless.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Army foldable for sure

I use an Army surplus foldable. It fits right in the mesh of my Camelbak and you can lock it in two positions.... shovel and ax. It's amazing what you can get done with one of these things. You stop to fix a little rain damaged trail and the next thing you know you are improving yards and yards of off-cambers and such.

Birdman aka JMJ

Great Idea

Quote Originally Posted by Moustache rider
    This is my solution.
    I got a small shovel from a hardware store and drilled out the rivet that holds on the handle. Replaced it with a bolt and wingnut.
    $12
    1.7 lbs
    27in long assembled.
    short enough to fit in most backpacks.

That's pretty cool. If you could do the same for the "D" handle (secure with a bolt and wing-nut) you could go to a slightly longer handle as well.

I've used a folding army shovel (Canadian Forces version) that has a folding "D" handle and shovel blade. Worked okay, but we had a MAX AX for doing TM that was an awesome multi-use tool (when towed in the BOB trailer).

JMJ

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    +1 for the Glock...

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    My father use http://www.uxsight.com/product/51487...rden-tool.html this Folding Trowel in his garden. But my mother often use this http://www.amazon.com/Gerber-22-4157...ef=pd_sbs_sg_4 bigger Folding Shovel.

ECV 7-11
    Feb 2010
    black diamond modded for dirt.

saddlemeat
    Not cheap, but looks interesting.

http://www.protrailtools.com/profess...er-shovel-p-20
    A Useful Bear is a handy thing.