Rider, Builder, Dreamer

First "big" trail work day

I put on our town's first big (ish) trail building day this Saturday and am having a hard time thinking of how it could have gone better. I got up there with a couple other people at 8:30 to get tools out and organized and everyone else got there at 9. I had the entire trail laid out ahead of time, and got out Friday afternoon to hit the first half mile with a leaf blower.

Total we had 26 people out in the woods that day. Got a lot of work done on what is going to be the most technically challenging trail in town. Some people continued raking and clearing the corridor while most started right in with digging. Ages of volunteers ranged from 11 to 68, and demographics are as follows:

6 middle-and high-school mountain bikers
    8 members of the Oneonta State Mountain Biking Club,
    1 Hartwick College student who rides with the Oneonta State crew
    2 twenty-somethings from Binghamton (an hour away) who can shred their bikes
    4 SUNY Oneonta faculty (2 Outdoor Programming, 1 each Philosophy and Economics)
    4 other permanent Oneonta Residents

Officially we were going to pack up at noon (when pizzas came) but about a dozen people wanted to keep digging after lunch, so we stayed out for a couple more hours. Everyone involved seemed genuinely interested and excited to see how the trail was going to turn out, and glad that they got to take part in the design. Several asked when another big trail work day will be held, since they would love to do one again. That's a good sign and I am super stoked to get that feedback. WAHOO!

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Glad to hear everything went well! Gotta get back up there sometime soon to check out all the hard work being put in!
    www.JORBA.org
    You Dig?
    "The rides to short to not kick against the pricks" M.F.

Rider, Builder, Dreamer
    Indeed you do! We're getting to the point where a 5-6" bike is hella fun. Lots of jumps, drops, etc being put in these days.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Awesome, awesome trails. I am a little ashamed I didn't have time to help out but after running and riding the trails a few times during my visit I was extremely impressed at how well the trails were made. It was great to come back after a year hiatus and see miles of new flowy trail added.
    Firm believer in Karma

Unpredictable
    Well done. 26 is a great turnout. If you can, email them all tomorrow to say thanks and make sure the pain they didn't think was coming doesn't put them off. They gotta love the pain.

Rider, Builder, Dreamer
    Emailed everyone the day after thanking them. As for pain, I don't think anyone really experienced any. I was very pleased with 26 people; and I think the good turnout made it more fun for the first-timers because it made it feel like a bigger effort.

And Dave, thanks for the kind words. Come back and ride soon.

mtbr member
    My $0.02:

26 people is a great turnout, sounds like you were prepared. Brush clearing is an excellent way to use a crowd. It's difficult for me to get people to cut a good bench, I really have to work with a smaller crew.

Walt