MTBR member
    Jan 2007

Facebook Pages and Devlopement for Your Group, Club, Etc.

Do you run a FB page for your organization? I've been running one for about 6 months. I'm the developement chair for a city-based committee. I do fundraising, FB, and am currently organizing a fundraising event. It's challenging and rewarding, as well as one giant headache (some do nothing, while others do everything). Share your similar experiences. Here's my page: https://www.facebook.com/OgdenTrailsNetwork

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    We do have a group on FB but shifted over to a free site called BigTent. Lot better functionality for scheduling events and creating discussion forums. I think it is pretty slick.

trail rat
    We have used a mailing list for years, since our group has existed for over 25 years. Added a website for calendars, info, information. Started a Facebook page over a year ago, and we use all methods for communication with volunteers. Links to all in my sig.
    CCCMB web - Facebook
    SLO trail maps - conditions

"The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

Rider, Builder, Dreamer
    There are two separate groups in my town:

1. The community members
    2. The college Students

Between the two groups there are probably about 60 people who ride consistently (say, at least once weekly) and at least that many again who are more casual.

We have a ListServ email for all the community people; 130 addresses are on that list. Every week (usually thursday or Friday) someone will send out an email to the listserv stating times and places for rides the upcoming weekend.

For the college club, we have an email list of anyone who has expressed interest in our club. This includes current students, prospective students, alumni, and some other folks who just want to keep in touch. This probably has 200 people on it so far. Every now and then we'll get an email from someone asking to be removed, but not often. Many of our club's alumni have specifically asked to stay ON the list, since it's cool to see how the club has progressed over the past few years.

Last year we I put together an open Facebook group called "Oneonta Mountain Biking." I wanted to exclude anything that said college (no SUNY, no Oneonta State) to kind of diminish the border between the college students and the full-time community members. It has worked a little bit; we have several high school kids, alumni, local professionals, and students all posting on the page. Feel free to join

facebook.com/groups/oneontabikes

Off the back...
    We have a website, Facebook page and a Twitter account. Our email list is ~350, FB and Twitter are ~225 each. Plenty of overlap there. Events are scheduled via the website and pushed through FB and Twitter. We are realizing that our message is vague, and we are doing a poor job of reaching local riders. Coordinating our various communication streams is challenging. I think we'll have to make a serious investment in our marketing if we want to stay relevant, much less grow.