mtbr member
    Jan 2009

Examples of progressive trail standards/guidelines needed

Can anyone point me to good trail standards or guidelines used by state, provincial or municipal governments?

Background: Our province has a set of published standards for recreational trails which are, from the point of view of mountain biking, very backward. For example, in the current standards, any trail for cycling needs to be nearly a railtrail, with a >1m wide tread etc. Real singletrack with rocks, roots, drops etc isn't really an option in the standards. As you can imagine, this is a serious obstacle to developing formal singletrack open to MTBs on any government land (which is _most_ land here).

The standards are undergoing revision. This is an opportunity. I'm meeting with the folks responsible for the current standards soon, and need good examples and amunition for progressive change.

I'm familiar with the Whistler guidelines, Alberta's Recreational Corridors guidelines, and IMBA of course. I need other examples, particularly those employed or developed by goverments, even if it is pretty much an adoption of IMBA or Whistler. Stuff from the U.S. is fine too.

Thanks for any help. Messaging me is OK if you prefer.

mtbr member
    I build with a club in north B.C., and we use the Whistler guidelines.

A lot of the building is done on a provincial rec. site created in 2010, incorporating existing trails. I believe that part of the deal for its creation was that trails should conform to said guidelines, but I wasn't living here at the time. Several new trails have recently been built with funds from a variety of sources, and the fact that they follow the Whistler guidelines was a big deal both in the proposal and in local media reporting.

There is also Ride the Cariboo, but I'm not sure what guidelines they follow. Probably Whistler, but you would have to ask.

I can put you in touch with someone at the club if you want more information.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Breckenridge Colorado open space & trails has a pretty outstanding trail program. I guess some people would call it "progressive" (although I've never been quite sure what that means). Things like recreation and trails are the main economic driver here though so there's a lot of incentive to have a top line trail system.

Town of Breckenridge : Open Space & Trails

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    NY State Parks use these guidelines for trails. The mountain bike sections were developed with help from mountain bikers.
    http://nysparks.com/recreation/trail...Guidelines.pdf

Many more guidance documents can be found here:
    Trails Technical Assistance - NYS Parks, Recreation & Historic Preservation

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I want to thank everyone! These are great resources.

Besides the details of the different guidelines, the fact that the guidelines exist at all is helpful, allowing us to illustrate that MTB trails in public parks is not a crazy idea -- its being done elsewhere.

I could use more examples, so please keep them coming.