Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    I build my own.
    Quote Originally Posted by jmitchell13 View Post
    How about this? Two teeter totters connected at the end with a pin/slot mechanism. As one goes down, it pulls the other with it.
    They would need to lock together when full down. I'll try to sketch that up when I get a chance later.
    I like it too. I'm going to build one. A pillar in the middle will eliminate the need for a lock in the down position, but a plate or bar on the bottom between the two right side stringers that the left stringers could land on might work. If it's only for bikes or foot traffic it won't matter if it's a little flexy.

Edit: Duh! the stopper goes on the back to keep it from lifting too high.
    Last edited by Trail Ninja; 10-21-2012 at 08:49 AM.
    I have a device that can access the total knowledge of man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and argue with strangers.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail Ninja View Post
    I like it too. I'm going to build one. A pillar in the middle will eliminate the need for a lock in the down position, but a plate or bar on the bottom between the two right side stringers that the left stringers could land on might work. If it's only for bikes or foot traffic it won't matter if it's a little flexy.

Edit: Duh! the stopper goes on the back to keep it from lifting too high.
    Post pics if you ever build one, I'd love to see it!
    My thoughts on the stop would be to extend the right hand stringers a bit longer, and mount a stop on the underside of the left hand stringers that extend out beyond them.

I like bikes
    You could build criss-crossing teeters that span the entire distance each direction.
    Visually they would have a cool scissor-effect to them.

mtbr member

I love this!

Quote Originally Posted by Moustache rider View Post
    Here is another one. Attach chainrings to both bridge pivot points. Connect enough chain together to reach around both chainrings and cross them in the middle.
    So this got me thinking.... Using the Chaining and chain idea I set off making some sketches and came up with one common issue - How to have the rider weight rotate a chainring and chain and in turn reverse the motion on the other drawbridge arm... Well after a little thought I realized that you would need an exchange gear to reverse the rotation for the other side... Then what popped into my head was a cars rear axle / rear end... In order for the single drive shaft to turn the wheel in the same direction the it must exchange that common of the driveshaft in opposite directions on each wheel.. So if you remove the driveshaft from the equation and just figure that turning the one wheel one way it in turn spins the other wheel the other way... So the drawing below is what I came up with.

There would be several variables to work out: Gearing, keeping everything lubed, weight needed to turn gears (weight minimum/maximum)?.. and several others... This was just a quick sketch,,,

I would love to get to build a small prototype if I had any extra time... But I barely have time to get rides in these days...

Disclosure: I am not an engineer or car mechanic so this is all based on a little theory and a lot of tinkering when I was younger... That being said any Engineers or Auto Mechanics out there please feel free to chime in... I would love to know if this would work..

humber river advocate
    one way drawbridge...

bolton trail info
    bmbc1st @ yahoo.com
    support TORBA
    Albion Hills Conservation Area Master Plan Public Advisory Committee

I build my own.
    Quote Originally Posted by singlesprocket View Post
    one way drawbridge...

Have you ever ridden the Canal Days MBR in Port Colborne? I bet I could find all the parts for one of those in "The Hood"
    I have a device that can access the total knowledge of man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and argue with strangers.

Team Livemedium
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesel8810 View Post
    He needs canoes to be able to go under.
    Keep trying to do the awesomest thing you've ever done.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bamwa1 View Post
    He needs canoes to be able to go under.
    I believe he was just kidding (at the bottom of his post about kayaks and canoes).. Also I am local and ride the area he's referring to weekly so if I am not mistaken there isn't much kayaking or canoeing done where he is referring to.. That being said you got me thinking and I went back and reconfigured it (albeit more materials, more building and a bit more complex) so that the car rear axle is simply above leaving the water way / ravine below unaffected...

Toro

... and if we just ...

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel8810 View Post
    I believe he was just kidding (at the bottom of his post about kayaks and canoes).. Also I am local and ride the area he's referring to weekly so if I am not mistaken there isn't much kayaking or canoeing done where he is referring to.. That being said you got me thinking and I went back and reconfigured it (albeit more materials, more building and a bit more complex) so that the car rear axle is simply above leaving the water way / ravine below unaffected...

I was kidding about the kayaks and canoes. But I don't want anyone to be discouraged from exercising their imagination. So far, the designs have been amazing. Keep in mind that it is likely I will not get permission to build this. Also, keep in mind that it would be cool if we could build it. And if we did build it, it would be even cooler if we built it so that one could ride under it. My new idea is to have the bridge spiral unto itself and under the drawbridge section. So you can ride up the spiral and over the bridge or over the bridge, around the spiral, and under. Thank you all.

I'm sorry that I have not contributed much. If you look at the regional posts, you'll see I am busy repairing trails due to Sandy's temper tantrum. Tonight I am driving to NY to deliver relief goods to FEMA/Red Cross. Tomorrow morning I'm working on local trails again. The rest of the time I have to work. Any spare time after that is spent riding. Yes, I ride sometimes.

Thank you for your contributions and your patience.
    Ricardo aka "El Toro"
    Team Raging Toro
    Toro Page on G+

Team Livemedium
    ^ Nice that's funny as ****!
    Keep trying to do the awesomest thing you've ever done.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2