banned

Does the Decommisioning Your Favorite Trail You Are Passionate About Really Work?

Sorry to have to post this kind of a thread in this passionate forum, but since I have been banned from the AZ Forum it is the best spot for asking this important question.

We have all seen the trails in the North Shore that have been cut down and obliterated forever. Those trails are never coming back that is for sure.

In Sedona we just had a bunch of our favorite trails decommissioned and I really wonder if their decommissioning will be forever like those trails in the North Shore that have gone to trail heaven. Let's face it the unique line of all those recently decommissioned trails is still there. The trails were built on the ground not in the air like many of those North Shore trails.

My hope in Sedona is the the FS will go out and do their important AZ Cypress study and upon completion of the study all the people who thought the study was important will have died and gone to wherever they think they are going, but maybe by then the sport will have progressed to the point of a Whistler like mentality, and those great lines will once again return. It certainly happened in Moab, so why not Sedona or anywhere else a great line was previously created?

Over 70% of the Tomahawk, Damifino and Damifidotrails was on slickrock, so it could be all be resurrected in about two days at the most. I can't imagine the dead manzanita that they stuck in the trail tread is going to grow much in thirty years, but what do I know. What I am almost certain about is that if mountain biking is still as popular thirty years from now as it is now in Sedona those trails will once again find a new life.

Of course people may be lazy then and just sit in their houses and watch videos of those great trails and they won't even consider riding a bike to have fun.

AZ
    banned
    Illegal trails live a tenuous existence, crying about the demise is a colossal waste.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS View Post
    Illegal trails live a tenuous existence, crying about the demise is a colossal waste.
    I think celebrating what once was allows other riders the opportunity to dream about what can be in the future. Its just a different opinion and hopefully you will be able to accept that at some point in your MTBR viewing experience.

(Mtbr Site Manager) Administrator
    Tread lightly doc, or your limitations on posting will be more severe.
    Like us on Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/Mtbrcom

Follow us on Twitter - twitter.com/Mtbr

Mtbr YouTube Channel

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS View Post
    This. If you like your trails and want them to be around for a while, wait and go through the proper approval process. If you cant wait or dont want to go through the due process to getting legal trails established, dont cry when they're taken away.

We've had some rad renegade trails around Atlanta be shut down and monitored heavily by police for trespassing in the past. I'm sure the trails are still there but nobody rides them since the cops make in on their rotation. So you start the conversation about getting trails back in those woods legitimately in a few years when the land is developed into a multi use park.

I build my own.
    I have to agree with AZ & GTscoob. I've been at this for almost 50 years and I have WAY more renegade trails under my belt than legal. When they were found and destroyed, I considered it to be part of the process. Ask the DJ builders. It's not a case of if they will be knocked down, just when.

In the last 15 years since legal trails can be built in my area (not too far from the North Shore), I haven't touched spade to earth without getting landmanager approval and submitting a plan. There's just no need for bootleg trails anymore and they definitely hurt the cause of getting legit trails built. Go through the hoops/red tape once and the next times are a breeze.
    I have a device that can access the total knowledge of man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and argue with strangers.

I build my own.
    Oh, here's a picture of some of the legal trails I built with the landmanager's approval. We were sad (the middle school kids I built this system for) but we didn't whine. This is what happened to 12 years of my work.

Does the Decommisioning Your Favorite Trail You Are Passionate About Really Work?-2013-01-20-10.11.45.jpg
    I have a device that can access the total knowledge of man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and argue with strangers.

Delirious Tuck
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail Ninja View Post
    I have to agree with AZ & GTscoob. I've been at this for almost 50 years and I have WAY more renegade trails under my belt than legal. When they were found and destroyed, I considered it to be part of the process. Ask the DJ builders. It's not a case of if they will be knocked down, just when.

In the last 15 years since legal trails can be built in my area (not too far from the North Shore), I haven't touched spade to earth without getting landmanager approval and submitting a plan. There's just no need for bootleg trails anymore and they definitely hurt the cause of getting legit trails built. Go through the hoops/red tape once and the next times are a breeze.
    So true! When you have approval in my neck of the woods, even the loggers have to give you a 50-100 yd corridor or repair your trail. Otherwise, fah-geh-d-abadit.