Good For You

Do I need permission to repair a trail?

There is a section of trail that runs through a ditch that carries water occasionally. It erodes more and more as people ride through it. It is in a state park next to a residential area. Do I need permission to add a short bridge (4' span)?

Masher
    Aug 2007
    Yes, It's state land. But I'll bet if you talked to the ranger and showed him your plan he would be all for your volunteer effort!

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by The_Boy
    There is a section of trail that runs through a ditch that carries water occasionally. It erodes more and more as people ride through it. It is in a state park next to a residential area. Do I need permission to add a short bridge (4' span)?
    Unless you personally own it or have permission "YOU NEED TO GET PERMISSION" Best to offer to the park manager your help before doing anything. Email or call the park ask who the PM is and if you could set up a meeting with him or speak to him. Get a few friends to go with you! Show him your interest. If mt biking is allowed all ready show him your concerned with the wear on the trails, and you wish to give back by doing trail work.

You might go as far as forming a group to support the park. Most PMs are happy to have volunteers on the roster. You might have to sign a park or state volunteer form. This way you are covered and protected to what you do. Respect the PM's authorty and work with him. Take a course on trailbuilding or read the many books about this subject.

You have already taken the first step "YOU CARE"

Thanks from me for that and good luck.
    Go from there!

mtbr member
    you could also think of rock armoring the crossing too as that will be a permanent fix to the problem....after approval, of course!
    IF YOU CAN READ THIS, YOU'RE NOT RIDING (or building)!

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mtb777
    you could also think of rock armoring the crossing too as that will be a permanent fix to the problem....after approval, of course!
    thats a good idea, but a bridge would most likely allow for a better flow of water

mtbr member

Not really

Quote Originally Posted by scorpionsf
    thats a good idea, but a bridge would most likely allow for a better flow of water
    A well constructed armored crossing causes very little restriction to water flow, plus it can look very natural. Ephemeral (occasional flow) streams sometimes are treated differently than more permanent bodies of water with regards to stirring up sediment, and digging in the stream bed.

More relevant is whether the park in question allows bridge construction. Here in Wisconsin, the Department of Natural Resources (DNR) won't allow any type of wood construction by non-DNR personnel. Period. Their own work has to be designed by a qualified engineer, and include hand rails among other things. Rock construction on the other hand is not covered under DNR regulations.

We were lucky when Dane County decided that they would put a bridge in to cross the Rock River as part of an expansion at Cam-Rock Area 3 in Rockdale Wisconsin. The estimate I heard at the land use planning meeting was $50-100K. EDIT We needed the bridge to connect the different loops in our trail system, but a bridge was way out our ability to pay.

Probably a bigger bridge than you were planning, but the cost and regulations might be factors in the park management's decision.

Walt

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mtb777
    Agreed! As long as it is a small creek that doesn't have a large volume of water flowing through it.

We built a rock bridge last year on our trail network. I went out during the spring snowmelt to see how it is holding up to the large volume of water, and the water was flowing through it just fine.

The key is to add gaps between the stones to allow leaves to pass through with the water. It can be intimidating to approach a rock bridge with gaps at first, but you roll right over a 4-6 inch gap very easily.

-edit- Opps I forgot, YES you need permission, unless you own the property...
    Last edited by jmitchell13; 04-16-2008 at 09:05 PM.

shred
    Feb 2008
    if one day i decided to fix up these really crappy trails near by, like make berms, jumps etc. i would get in trouble for that?

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by MTN MAN
    if one day i decided to fix up these really crappy trails near by, like make berms, jumps etc. i would get in trouble for that?
    Would and could are two different things... The responsible thing to do is to get the land owner/manager's approval first.

shred
    Feb 2008
    its military airforce land stuff.

Don't worry, be happy!
    Military? I wouldn't mess with it.

Masher
    Aug 2007
    Ditto - especially if you wear that helmet of yours that has a towel wrapped around it.

shred
    Feb 2008

No good

damn those people are so strict. i was searching for trails of some sort on some crappy road and this guy like pulls me over and starts interrogating me. damn is it worth is to drive 5 hours for freeride?

mtbr member
    i ride along a marine base fenceline....heck i could hop the fence and go get me some MRE's from a barrack if i wanted

But then again they are cool with it and have even posted up lamented trail maps...except for they are missing a "You are here" marker

/end OT
    Lean back, Hit both brakes, And ask yourself, Do you feel lucky today?

mtbr member
    For wood bridges....try this from IMBA..

http://www.imba.com/resources/trail_...dgedetails.pdf
    IF YOU CAN READ THIS, YOU'RE NOT RIDING (or building)!