mtnjam

deadfall after burn...

Does anyone else run into issues with ATV'ers only sawing out the large deadfall and going around, creating a wider trail for all trail users? Ran into this many times this past weekend on an ATV trail we like to ride. Granted it would have only taken the ATVers a little more effort (like picking up a PBR) to push some of the brush out of the way so I did it for them. My frustration is that they clearly were carrying a chainsaw so why didn't they saw more out of the way....sheer laziness?
    I gotta find a way to carry a chainsaw other than dragging a BOB, I've seen the Dakine Builder packs and another bike rack chainsaw mount....any other suggestions?

jalepenio jimenez
    How 'bouts a bow-saw? Easily cuts up to six inches

Or move it with a come-along..
    I dig, chop, strangle, yank, stomp, annihilate, mutilate, eradicate, and FU goatheads

mtnjam
    got a bow-saw...

the come-along is a good idea

Just venting in that last post

26er
    Quote Originally Posted by ryman
    Does anyone else run into issues with ATV'ers only sawing out the large deadfall and going around, creating a wider trail for all trail users? Ran into this many times this past weekend on an ATV trail we like to ride. Granted it would have only taken the ATVers a little more effort (like picking up a PBR) to push some of the brush out of the way so I did it for them. My frustration is that they clearly were carrying a chainsaw so why didn't they saw more out of the way....sheer laziness?
    I gotta find a way to carry a chainsaw other than dragging a BOB, I've seen the Dakine Builder packs and another bike rack chainsaw mount....any other suggestions?
    My guess it the route around the tree was created before the people with the chainsaws came through. This is all too common on many trails among all users who will just go around a tree instead of stepping or lifting a bike over. There is a portable saw in a can which can handle small stuff.

My take is that if the reroute around the downed tree is not too bad then dump some debris to block the old trail and call it good or just let it grow back naturally.

Bob trailers are the way to go unless you have a tiny saw. I don't want a 20" saw on my back.

Chris
    Live to ride!

Cannondale Jekyll Carbon 1
    Cannondale Trigger Carbon 2
    Transition Bottle Rocket
    Niner MCR 29er Hardtail

oh Lucky me
    ryman, i dont want to hijack your thread, but i have a question here.

what would you do in this instance.

1. you are cruisin down a trail and all of a sudden you come across INTENTIONALLY put deadfall scattered across the trail. I mean, rocks put down in such a way that it is not an obstacle, its a nuisance, intentionally cut trees just to block the trail. lots of other debri scattered throughout. and this goes on ever 50 feet or so?

do i take action into my own hands and clear the trail, or do i say fcuk it and ride the 'gravel' path that runs somewhat parallel to the trail in question (i mean, somewhat parallel)
    ...Dying is the easy part, its living that's the challenge...

Ace Tour de Kids:
    Click Here To Help A Kid...

mtnjam
    is the trail multi use, on public or private land and is it a sanctioned/legal trail?

If the reroute of the trail is cut better to prevent erosion i'd say stick with the newer trail and don't clear it. If it looks like the trailwork was done maliciously in attempts to block mountain bikers from using the trail then I'd say go ahead and clear it out, but check with your local trail organization and make sure they haven't done this.

oh Lucky me
    its on public land, and it was absolutely done maliciously to (i believe) keep the dirtbikers off. The trail itself is in an urban enviroment down in a wash so i know none of the local clubs did it, probably some pissed off hiker...i guess i know what ill be doing tomorrow night
    ...Dying is the easy part, its living that's the challenge...

Ace Tour de Kids:
    Click Here To Help A Kid...

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

ATVs chainsaw only as last option

My experience here in Arizona is that ATVs will use a chainsaw only if there is absolutely no other option. If there is any way to ride around deadfall, no matter how much damage is done, ATVs will use that option. I am guessing it has to do with seeing the deadfall as a challenge to their riding skills. Only if there is no other option will they use a chainsaw to clear the trail. I have also noticed they will leave really dangerous cut off sharp branches just off the trail at head height.