mtbr member

DAKINE Trail Builders Pack?

Has anybody used one of these packs? If so do you have any feedback you can give? Im thinking of getting one myself. Thanks in advance.

http://www.dakine.com/bike/bike-packs/builders-pack/
    The way we ride today shapes mountain bike trail access tomorrow. -IMBA

beer thief
    Discussed on this forum earlier this year, here's the link.

Another thread here with info.

Just roll it......
    I think the important difference between using a bob trailer vs. a pack of sorts is:

A. The distance you need to carry tools, saw, etc..
    B. The the terrain in which you'll be carrying it
    C. whether you're maintaining existing trail or building new trail.

Typically, when we're building new trail, the deadfall is cut pretty early in the process and using a bob trailer wouldn't do us any good because the trail likely hasn't even been roughed in. Also, the terrain is usually pretty steep and descending with a bob trail with a full load would be sketchy at best.

I've got a big old REI backpack I use for hauling a saw and tools, but I'm definitely in the market for one of these. FYI, I've hit a 10 foot gap with a saw on my backin the REI pack (once), but I can't recommend doing that!

Cheers,
    EB

P.S. The dakine guys designing this pack also build trails in the Mt. Hood/Gorge area.....so it's pretty well thought out.

beer thief
    Quote Originally Posted by ebxtreme
    ... FYI, I've hit a 10 foot gap with a saw on my backin the REI pack (once), but I can't recommend doing that! ...
    Hehehe, pretty crazy, eb!

I've ridden a few skinnies with a Bob trailer; it's amazing how well they track and will follow you anywhere. I've also had the Bob pull me off a narrow bog bridge when the bike made the turn onto the bridge but the Bob did not, 'grinding' down the side of the plank until we both ended up in the mud. Yeehaa.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Great pack

I really like the pack for those days when you are cutting out a new trail and the bob trailer just won't work. Dakine really thought out the details on this pack. The top compartment is great for keeping your lunch separate from from all the stuff that will smash your sammy. I really like the fact they include a small roll up pouch to keep your files, chain tools and that little carb screw driver that always gets lost. The side pockets work great for fuel and oil.

The Chainsaw pouch works really well with small and medium sized saws. I like carrying the 45 cc saws with the blade down so they don't get caught in the brush over head. This didn't work so will with the 70 cc saws with 28" bar. The first log I step over the blade hung up and I ate dirt. At least everyone else had a good laugh. If you stick the bar up like it was intended it works just fine. Haven't tried the pack with anything bigger than a 70cc saw or a full wrap handle.

It does have a tendency to pull you over backwards with a big saw but that is to be expected since the saw pouch is on the very back. The good news is the shoulder straps hip belt and frame make carrying the pack comfortable and control the load well. But best of all, no more getting stabbed in the back with the saw dogs or handle.

This is a pack I will own and use for a long time!