Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Custom Trail Building Tools

I am a welder and metal fabricator and I have a some customized tools that i have made for digging trails, building jumps and moving dirt. They work great for the trails I have built. I am just wondering what everyone thinks about me trying to sell custom trail building tool? is that something you would buy, if it was reasonably priced?
    I am just trying to get a feel for it, input would be appreciated.
    thanks

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Let's see what you're up to! Always looking for the right tool for the right job.

Builder of Trails
    Feb 2004
    Post some pictures and specs for your tools.

D

featherweight clydesdale
    Quote Originally Posted by cannonballcrew1
    I am a welder and metal fabricator and I have a some customized tools that i have made for digging trails, building jumps and moving dirt. They work great for the trails I have built. I am just wondering what everyone thinks about me trying to sell custom trail building tool? is that something you would buy, if it was reasonably priced?
    I am just trying to get a feel for it, input would be appreciated.
    thanks
    If it resembles a Pulaski with a wider grub, 40"+ handle, ....wait, just post some pics!

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I have 1 at my house, the rest are on the trail. i will try to get some pics soon.

~Disc~Golf~
    make a McCloud w/ carbon fiber handle

or any tool handle for that matter!
    (yes...i know that's not practical)
    But, I do think McClouds are one of the easiest to make and hardest to find
    Honestly... ahh I give up

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I would love to have something with the broad head of a mattox and the handle of an italian grubbing hoe, but handles don't match up. Or maybe a modified bark spud with a spot to use my foot to apply force to break through tough bark.

Anti-Outsourcer
    Jan 2007
    How about a pulaski with a reasonably sized grub hoe instead of those jokes they come with... Oh, and under $100.

Why in the world do they go from $35 for a Mexican made poorly engineered model straight up to $200 for an over-engineered "professional" model?!?

I'd be willing to lay down $50-60 for one that just freakin' worked, you know? I don't need a composite handle, titanium hardware, feng shui graphics, etc... An ash handle on a well-tempered head that does what it is supposed to would make my freaking day

Single Speed Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by highdelll
    make a McCloud w/ carbon fiber handle

or any tool handle for that matter!
    (yes...i know that's not practical)
    But, I do think McClouds are one of the easiest to make and hardest to find
    The dreaded yellow handle. I have had more broken yellow handles than anything else. I wish I could just get a solid hickory handle on my tools and be done with it.

Actually come to think of it there is a carbon sheet available that is about half the thickness of a kleenex and about as transparent as one as well. One cured ply is fairly neat to look at but you can poke you finger thru it with relative ease. by the time you have two ply then it is significantly more difficult. Take a hickory handled tool wrap and cure 2-5 plys of the carbon tissue under vacuum about 1/2 - 3/4 of the way down the handle and you would have one seriously tough trail tool without adding much weight.

featherweight clydesdale
    Quote Originally Posted by crux
    The dreaded yellow handle. I have had more broken yellow handles than anything else. I wish I could just get a solid hickory handle on my tools and be done with it.
    Which yellow handled Mcleods are you killing? We have 11 Nupla's, some as old as 3 years, and none have broken. We've had worse luck with the Lamberton's.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    This is my favorite customized tool, i use this one every day i dig. let me know how you like this one.

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by cannonballcrew1
    This is my favorite customized tool, i use this one every day i dig. let me know how you like this one.
    that's pretty bad-a$$
    does it feel awkward when using the pick side? I mean does it want to roll/twist over while swinging?
    Honestly... ahh I give up

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Thanks.
    No it swings pretty well, i think it works better on the pick side because it has a little more weight behind it.

I build my own.
    Cannonball, now you're getting there. I'd need the axe/mattock version of that. What do you figure it would cost?

Builder of Trails
    Feb 2004
    Yeah, I haven't had any problems with the breakage of the yellow fiberglass handles of the Zac McLeods and have had problems with Lamberton rakes.

D

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail Ninja
    Cannonball, now you're getting there. I'd need the axe/mattock version of that. What do you figure it would cost?
    Im not sure, let me look into in and i will get back to you.

18 years old
    Feb 2005
    post this in dh/fr and you'll geet some buyers i imagine.

edit: geet haha : D
    Quote Originally Posted by irieness
    ...it's just that when I'm wondering what things are like head tube, seat post, cranks, flux capacitor, SS, FS, hardtail...

Who turned out the lights

featherweight clydesdale
    Quote Originally Posted by Francis Buxton
    It's missing an ax. I have a 5.5 Rogue w/ pick. I wish it was a 5.5 w/ ax

I build my own.
    I have 2 of the Rogue with the 2" pick. It does a great light duty job. Good for fine sculpting. You could spend a long time if you had to dig deep or move a lot of material for a bench. It doesn't hold an edge well in rocky soil. That being said, I wouldn't give it away. I don't think there is a "one tool".

I know I could get a lot of use out of Cannonball's triple wide mattock if it had an axe back instead of the pick.

mtbr member
    May 2006

Custom Tools

I had real trouble finding good tools at a fair price too. I live in New Zealand a shipping would cost to much to get tools from the USA. So I started making them and now I spend one night a week making them for other trail builders. All word of mouth. Some pics below.
    My take on a rouge hoe:
    A pulaski with a wider blade:
    Short Handled Mcload:
    And a custom hammerhoe that can pull nails too:
    Attached Images Attached Images

saddlemeat
    Nice work ezybike, what grade & thickness of steel stock do you use for your tool heads? which mig wire?

cannonballcrew1, same same the extensions your widened mattock/pick?
    A Useful Bear is a handy thing.

mtbr member
    May 2006

Trail tools

Quote Originally Posted by bsieb
    Nice work ezybike, what grade & thickness of steel stock do you use for your tool heads? which mig wire?

cannonballcrew1, same same the extensions your widened mattock/pick?
    The hoe blades are recycled plow discs and very strong but I don't know what steel they are.
    I get the McLoad heads lazer cut out of 3mm medium tensile plate, which works but the rake prongs do bend from time to time so I mite try the reinforcing shown in the above pics.
    Sorry don't know the welding wire type I will have to check, the mild steel stuff works OK though.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Great looking tools, That hammer hoe is awesome, i made one just like it and it works great, i like your idea of the nail puller on it.keep up the good work.

banned
    You can't really use any tool with a Pulaski style handle for very long without breaking the handle. Only the pick mattock has a strong enough hickory handle to allow you to pry rocks out of the ground.

Has anyone seen the latest improvement in the pick mattocks available at Lowes? The widened the mattock and shaped it like a spoon, to pull more material.
    It only cost a few dollars more ($26.95). It's made in India but so far, I have only seen it with a fiberglass handle that will surely break if used to pry rocks. I call it the "super pick mattock"
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast