mtbr member

Critique my backyard pump track

Which one do you think would work better? Let me know if you see any problems or anything you think I should add/change. Thanks for the feedback!

Idea #1
    Critique my backyard pump track-image.jpg
    Idea #2
    Critique my backyard pump track-image.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Critique my backyard pump track-backyard.jpg  

Last edited by guaps; 04-07-2013 at 10:43 PM.

mtbr member
    I noticed this post was from a while back, did you get it built yet, post up some pics if you did.

mtbr member
    I haven't done it yet, but it is going to happen. I had to re-route some sprinklers and build a back patio before I could get sign-off from my wife. I'm done with those things now, so I'm back on it. I'm hoping to get digging this month.

I'm still a little nervous about the r6' 180 degree turn at the skinny end of my yard. Not sure if it's going to be too tight but I don't see another option right now...

mtbr member
    I am working on one right now myself. I started on the corners first and it helped me figure things I needed to change from my original plans.
    I'm glad your getting closer to starting it, looks like a fun track.

Happy, in the woods.
    Nov 2008
    What sort of rider are you and who are the folks that are going to be using this track the most? If you're a hardcore bmx guy your perfect track will be different from one you build and enjoy as a more average mtb rider with random friends and family stopping by for a session.

A couple things come to mind after a quick look at your plans:
    1. Start with the outside three-cornered track and ignore the cross overs and doubles for now. Start with evenly spaced rollers between simple well built berms. The experience you gain from building and riding the first phase-and just seeing it built on the ground- will make your plans for the interior and doubles different/better than what they are now.
    2. That 6' radius is going to feel too tight. You would be better off pulling it in and having one less roller on each leg. Make the remaining rollers closer to the 10-12' length. The 12" height is ok, 18" might treat you better.
    3. How about a feature involving the trampoline? Now that would be cool!

Good luck with the build out and please keep us updated!
    Abba Zaba, you my only friend....

mtbr member
    Thanks for the great input! This helps a ton. This is definitely a "friends and family" track. I'm definitely not a bmxer, but I'd consider myself an above average mtn biker. I'm building this for me, my kids (6 and 10 yrs old), and any neighborhood kids that want to ride.

I'll try to shorten the track a bit to get a slightly wider U turn, and I like the 18" roller idea. Thanks for the advice.

I love the trampoline idea. I've been thinking about a tree house between the three large palm trees in the upper right of the map. I thought I could build a small platform there with a ramp that would allow you to roll into the track. Could be fun. I want to build a little balcony on the tree house too where the kids can jump off onto the trampoline.

Thanks again for your input!
    Quote Originally Posted by thumpduster View Post
    What sort of rider are you and who are the folks that are going to be using this track the most? If you're a hardcore bmx guy your perfect track will be different from one you build and enjoy as a more average mtb rider with random friends and family stopping by for a session.

A couple things come to mind after a quick look at your plans:
    1. Start with the outside three-cornered track and ignore the cross overs and doubles for now. Start with evenly spaced rollers between simple well built berms. The experience you gain from building and riding the first phase-and just seeing it built on the ground- will make your plans for the interior and doubles different/better than what they are now.
    2. That 6' radius is going to feel too tight. You would be better off pulling it in and having one less roller on each leg. Make the remaining rollers closer to the 10-12' length. The 12" height is ok, 18" might treat you better.
    3. How about a feature involving the trampoline? Now that would be cool!

Good luck with the build out and please keep us updated!

mtbr member
    Also, remember unless you build retaining walls you will need an extra 2-3' minimum of space for the dirt on the back of the berm. 6' is super tight for a 180. You will probably like it more if you make the track a little smaller (not go all the way into that corner) with bigger radius turns so you can build up some speed.