mtbr member
    May 2006

cordless chainsaw

Anyone tried one?? Do they work???

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by dmgrapid
    Anyone tried one?? Do they work???
    Sure, they are gas powered. Work VERY well.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Takw/agranofsalt
    Jan 2005
    Yes, I have a Ryobi 18v. It works pretty well for soft woods up to about 10" in diameter. Harder woods like oak and madrone will drain the battery pretty quickly. On the plus side, it is quiet, light weight and worth the price IMO.
    Last edited by NorKal; 04-13-2008 at 09:42 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Thanks for the info., suppose I could have worded it battery powered. Glad somebody knew what I was talking about!!!

Takw/agranofsalt
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by dmgrapid
    Thanks for the info., suppose I could have worded it battery powered. Glad somebody knew what I was talking about!!!
    no worries, just make sure whatever model you buy to get at least two batteries. Last I checked the Ryobi is not made anymore(?) but check Amazon.com. There are some others like the Black and Decker.

discombobulated SuperModerator
    Jun 2005
    What about the cordless recip's? Like a sawzall...Man Have I wanted to have one of those more than a few times...
    CDT

Takw/agranofsalt
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by CdaleTony
    What about the cordless recip's? Like a sawzall...Man Have I wanted to have one of those more than a few times...
    CDT
    A recip can only cut through max 4-5" diameter. A 10" chain saw can cut through much wider stock.

edit: Not to mention the narrow blade of a recip will bind long before the wide cut of a chainsaw.

wot no bike?
    Quote Originally Posted by Khemical
    A recip can only cut through max 4-5" diameter. A 10" chain saw can cut through much wider stock.
    Case in point, I used to use my Milwalkee 18v Sawzall to prune the stump on our Christmas trees and it was a pain in the ass compared to the gas chainsaw.
    pete

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I use an 18v DeWalt recip on the trail, and it works well for the smaller stuff with those heavy pruning blades. The challenge with these saws is that they have a stroke of only an inch or so. That's not enough to clear the sawdust in a log of any real size and so you end up cutting sawdust instead of wood. What does work is to keep the saw in motion around the log so that the sawdust can clear and the blade can make contact with fresh wood.

I only use it because a chainsaw is not an option on some of our trails. It's not a substitute.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I never understood electric chainsaws...

I haven't cleared any trees on trails, but I run an 18" Husqvarna

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by black hills tj
    I never understood electric chainsaws...

I haven't cleared any trees on trails, but I run an 18" Husqvarna
    ...some of us need to work under stealth conditions, so the luxury of gas powered saws does not exist. I feel even the electric is too loud for my purposes, which leaves just hand saws for me.
    Hydrate or Die Trying