Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Trail Tire TV on blogger

Cordless chain saw....?

Here is that review I wrote later so you don't have to go fishing through the whole thread to find it

Trail Tire TV: Battery Powered Chainsaws for trail work,...?

Anyone played with these yet? What's your thoughts?

I just got one (well back a few months ago but never got out to play) And I got to say I'm pretty impressed. Now I'm no chainsaw expert (far from it) which is why I decided on this instead of another gas powered one that I keep having to rebuild all the time do to lack of use.. not only annoying but time consuming and sorta costly and it never seems to work when you need it most. anyway, I'll do a full write up once I get some more time with it.
    But I got to say for a simple "round the yard and occasional trail cleaning" this is about perfect! Lasts WAY longer than I expected. Ran pretty much consent for an hour and it's still got 1/2 a charge and had no noticeable down grade in power.

there are a few draw backs but rather minor and not worth dishing it over... (I'll get into them in the review later..)

I'm pretty impressed!!

Cordless chain saw....?-greenworks.jpg
    Last edited by thomllama; 01-16-2014 at 06:58 PM.
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    I think Makita and Stihl both have battery operated saws too. I'm interested but until I find someone that actually owns one and can say something good about it I'm holding off for the 2nd or 3rd generation.
    He/she who works the trails does so in their own image.

Speed just slows me down...

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    haven't used a cordless chainsaw, but I love my dewalt sawzall with a 12" blade. I can't get the fun cuts you can get with a chainsaw, but if you just want to remove smaller trees, works great. Can also remove the blade while traveling and everything fits in a backpack.

mtbr member

Cordless chain saw....?

Will be interested to read your full review. Am considering one but am not sure on battery life, power, or longevity.

Which model did you get?

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by watts888 View Post
    haven't used a cordless chainsaw, but I love my dewalt sawzall with a 12" blade. I can't get the fun cuts you can get with a chainsaw, but if you just want to remove smaller trees, works great. Can also remove the blade while traveling and everything fits in a backpack.
    been doing that for YEARS with my massive 28 Volt Millwakee .. but the battery's have kinda died on it, and to be honest, the chainsaw is a good bit lighter (no gearing and mechanical head needed to go from rotation to reciprocating movement) and WAY more usable.. Plus like 1/2 the price .. don't get me wrong.. the sawzall works great thou for anything smaller than like 4-5 inches.. perfect pruner unit!!

Quote Originally Posted by plantdude View Post
    Will be interested to read your full review. Am considering one but am not sure on battery life, power, or longevity.

Which model did you get?
    Greenworks 12" with 40 volt (4 ah) "G-Max" battery, they have a 2 ah G-max battery one that is exactly the same saw just the smaller battery. But after even just the one use today I don't think I would bother with the little battery. Just don't think it would last,.. though if you only need it to do 1 or 2 cuts.. well it will without issue and it's like 60 bucks less.

They have smaller 18- and 20 volt units..(also like the Mikita and Stilhl mentioned above) but those aren't really big enough blade or powerful enough to "really" cut a tree.. most anything those can comfortably cut I can do just as good with a handsaw. And the exercise is good for ya
    They just came out with a 16" I don't think it's gunna be a big hit as mine definitely had some struggling issues just cutting the 9" tree I cut,.. had to keep rolling it around so the cutting face was smaller.. just think it'll bog too much. But supposedly they improved the motor a bit in that one sooooo...?

One of the biggest complaints with it when reading reviews is the oil storage cap for the chain oiler leaks,.. I fixed that in like 30 seconds by slapping an 12 cent O-ring on it, honestly it's something that should come with it LOLOL

The tree in the picture is probably the limit of it's cutting I'd say.. about 9" or so. again, not a major lot clearing tool but it's much lighter and easier to carry than I was originally thinking and would make a perfect "trail day" saw
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by 2bfluid View Post
    I think Makita and Stihl both have battery operated saws too. I'm interested but until I find someone that actually owns one and can say something good about it I'm holding off for the 2nd or 3rd generation.
    I'm like you... this unit is 3rd generation. both updates in motor and style as well as some major improvements in battery. I read a LOT of reviews before even considering one, and I happened to be lucky enough to have a guy come to a trail clearing day with one. Watched him cut down multiple small/mid sized trees with out a hiccup. and the battery lasted him the full 3 hours we were there, not running constant but still pretty impressive enough for me to start looking into them.

middle ring single track
    My $.02:

I've had several "cordless" saws over the years; my most recent was a Greenworks 20 volt pole-saw which was really cheap from Woot. I was pleasantly surprised with it's capability; while not much faster than an "armstrong" pole-saw it was much less tiring. (although the reach was limited)

I have a little 12 volt (NiMH) Makita chainsaw that won't set any records but it's been super-reliable and is good for some types of pruning (like cutting fronds out of palm trees)

More recent than that is an 18 volt (Li) Ryobi unit that is also only a little faster than a good hand saw but again less effort.

Hard to beat the power to weight ratio of "regular" gas engine chainsaw though; electric motors may have 8x the efficiency as a gas engine but gas has 50x the energy per weight. If you're cutting all day long gas is the hands-down winner. (When we finally run out of petroleum it'll be a different story!)

A couple of caveats; battery-powered saws are stealthy (a possible advantage) and also in some local (to me) parks volunteers are forbidden to use gas-driven equipment but are allowed to use battery powered.
    The views and opinions expressed here are those of the author and do not represent any policy of the CA Dept. of Parks & Rec.

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Yay. This is the 40 volt 4ah, looked at the 20 volt stuff but like you I've had lots of cordless stuff over the yrs and know that larger is better by a lot. The newer li_on batteries are a big plus. The 20 volt stuff just doesn't have the nut this has... not that a gas wouldn't beat it.

Again... not an all day unit like you said, but the little I use a chain saw this far exceeds the gas. Gas saws need regular use and service. I've had 6 chainsaws and all have scraped out when in needed them the most, costed bucks to fix, cost bucks to store... Bla bla bla. When you only use it once or twice a yr, gas sucks as it almost always needs something to get it running, even after draining gas or using gas saver crap.

Gas May have more power, but only when it actually runs.

mtbr member
    Does anyone have the Stihl?
    He/she who works the trails does so in their own image.

Speed just slows me down...

saddlemeat
    I have been thinking of the Oregon 14" saw, would value the feedback of some actual users. I have used the Stihl AC electric saw a fair amount for carving joints in logs and timbers and the convenience of electric is no small thing. I would keep my Stihl 250, which is what I use currently, along with a 30" bull saw w/ bike scabbard, and a 48" Tuatahi racing crosscut for the big ponderosas.
    A Useful Bear is a handy thing.

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Yay, looked at the Oregon, but at 2x the price with lower voltage and only a 2ah battery...? Well for that I can get extra batteries for this, as well as chains, oil bla, bla, bla

Delirious Tuck
    We have a Stihl MS192t Arborists climbing saw, about 9lbs with gas. Easy as heck to take anywhere, bit pricey, but it does the trick for most clearing. Bigger (1'+ diameter) we have a bigger farm boss and a dakine pack and rigging set up (if necessary).

saddlemeat
    Quote Originally Posted by thomllama View Post
    Yay, looked at the Oregon, but at 2x the price with lower voltage and only a 2ah battery...? Well for that I can get extra batteries for this, as well as chains, oil bla, bla, bla
    The Oregon has a longer bar and a built in sharpener. That could be good or bad, I wonder which? Not so concerned about the price but you have make a point.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I guess the operative questions are- will it do anything a hand saw won't? I s it a substitute for a handsaw or a gas chain saw?
    I am not repeating myself I am not repeating myself!

I build my own.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Sugar View Post
    I guess the operative questions are- will it do anything a hand saw won't? I s it a substitute for a handsaw or a gas chain saw?
    I've used electric chainsaws extensively but I haven't used one for trail work. I believe I can answer your questions:

- will it do anything a hand saw won't? - Cut more faster and save wear and tear on the user. The only thing I can think of that you couldn't actually do with a handsaw would be a plunge cut (I've used them in trail building)
    - Is it a substitute for a handsaw or a gas chain saw? - Can be used where gas saws aren't allowed and is lighter than a gas saw. If I knew the saw would get all the cutting done that I wanted to do that day without running out of power, I'd leave my hand saw home.
    I have a device that can access the total knowledge of man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and argue with strangers.

saddlemeat
    This model looks interesting too... says it can cut a cord of wood on one charge.

Greenworks 20312 40V G-MAX Cordless Lithium-Ion DigiPro Brushless 16 in. Chain Saw Kit

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I have always used a cordless saw, they run on gas.

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona View Post
    I have always used a cordless saw, they run on gas.
    Still has a cord,.... think about it....... think about it........

Lol

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bsieb View Post
    I have been thinking of the Oregon 14" saw, would value the feedback of some actual users. I have used the Stihl AC electric saw a fair amount for carving joints in logs and timbers and the convenience of electric is no small thing. I would keep my Stihl 250, which is what I use currently, along with a 30" bull saw w/ bike scabbard, and a 48" Tuatahi racing crosscut for the big ponderosas.
    I took a chance on the Oregon Power a couple of years ago. Love it!! Still not as powerful and capable as the gas but I carry my Oregon on my back with spare batteries and ride the trails to get to the downed trees and work sites. Excellent!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bsieb View Post
    The Oregon has a longer bar and a built in sharpener. That could be good or bad, I wonder which? Not so concerned about the price but you have make a point.
    I think that sharpener is one of its big advantages. The price was a bit steep (compared to gas) but still cheaper than the SthiL battery.

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by gmats View Post
    I think that sharpener is one of its big advantages. The price was a bit steep (compared to gas) but still cheaper than the SthiL battery.
    ya, looked at that, but was more than 2x the Greenworks.. can get the newer 16" green works for a hundred less and get an extra battery ..

Would love to compare the 2 side by side.. I'd guess the Oregon is better, just 2x better?? Hey are you inCT or New England area?

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    OK, here's my 1st impressions write up.. also edited and added into the first post so it's not lost to a new comer to the thread...

Trail Tire TV: Battery Powered Chainsaws for trail work,...?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by thomllama View Post
    ya, looked at that, but was more than 2x the Greenworks.. can get the newer 16" green works for a hundred less and get an extra battery ..

Would love to compare the 2 side by side.. I'd guess the Oregon is better, just 2x better?? Hey are you inCT or New England area?
    No, unfortunately I'm in Hawaii. I bought mine from Amazon, free shipping here to Hawaii which was a big deal. Also, over the last two years or so, I did manage to get the chain stuck and broke the chain tensioner twice. In both cases, Oregon shipped to me replacement parts no charge to me, not even shipping. Talk about supporting their product. I strap the saw to my pack and carry three batteries in the pack. Ride the trails and clear the trails of the trees that fall across. Oh, and the prices have dropped since I bought it two years ago AND they have an even more powerful battery that wasn't available when I purchased two years ago.

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by gmats View Post
    No, unfortunately I'm in Hawaii......
    errr I think I hate you just a little now.. LOLOLOLOL Hey, What does that saw weigh in at?

mtbr member
    I'm using the Ryobi 18v lithium ion and have been happy so far. I wanted to get the higher volt(store guy told me this was almost as powerful as a gas model) but Home Depot was out of stock. Cutting pepper trees and palmetto roots, blazing trail and maintaining existing trail over the past 6 months with great success. I have some other Ryobi tools so always have extra batteries and chargers. Got this version on sale for less than $100. Think the Lithium batteries are way better than the NiCad of the older tools.

Pros - light weight, instant start, no pull, quiet.

Cons - not as powerful as gaspowered, battery life is good but gives no indication of getting low, the saw just suddenly stops. Not too bad but can get caught if not paying attention.

Bottom line is a great quiet light weight tool for the trail. Does not do the big stuff as good as a gas saw but carrying extra batteries is easier than carrying fuel and the instant on vs the pull cord is well worth it for me.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast