Thread: compaction

mtbr member

compaction

Unfortunately due to a slow and politically contentious approval process and some biological restrictions we have been machine cutting a new trail the last couple of weeks with less than idea soil moisture conditions. There was a tiny bit of moisture when the trail was cut (enough to keep the dust down) but now the top couple of inches are powder and I don't expect things to improve as it gets traffic from trailworkers and people "checking out" the new trail. This is a highly anticipated 3-4' wide multi-use trail trail that will see heavy use all year. It is also in California and won't see rain for another four months, and then it will get 40" in the four months after that. It will be hard to keep this trail closed to let it "season" and I was hoping to try and speed up the compaction process with some mechanical help once we get some rain. I am thinking with some good compaction early in the fall the whole trail won't be a mudpit with deep ruts and hoof holes all winter and it can be officially opened with temporary closures during rainy periods...

I was perusing the options at our local rental yard and saw a picture of this and was intrigued. Anyone have any experience with using something like this? Will it just dig itself a hole and get stuck? Will it jump off the trail if it hits a root or rock? Anyone have other advice or experience for this situation?

Last edited by drew p; 07-08-2012 at 11:35 PM.

Unpredictable
    I have no idea what other techniques or devices will be suggested, but I want one of these! Sounds like the ultimate trailmaking video game - live. An added bonus is parking it against the all new massage bed. What a little ripper. Lube-free mechanics and articulated. It looks pretty capable.

Water would still help.

mtbr member
    No water, no compaction. As simple as that.

We use a compactor plate on all our trails. Either a Dynapac LF60 or something similar. Light enough to carry on variable terrain, compact enough to create a good base thread. When working on wide, multi-use trails, we've tried with a small talk-behind roller but it had a bad tendency to aim for the ditch :/
    A trailbuilder from the north

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Ditch Witch makes a plate compactor attachment for their walk behind skid steers that might work well here.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Like someone else said you need moisture for compaction. Water in the trail and run a walk behind plate tamper.

We have a trench roller and they are easily rolled over. Plus they are expensive to rent.

mtbr member
    The Ditch Witch compactor plate attachment is 44" wide and does an okay job. Most singletrack are much narrower than that.
    A trailbuilder from the north

mtbr member
    A backpack sprayer can do miracles for compacting small sections or larger ones if there is a water source near by.

Flow - Easier to achieve than define.
    He/she who works the trails does so in their own image.

Speed just slows me down...