Probably drunk right now

Colonnade Park Question

I know you've answered this before but I can't find the information. What was the length of time between presenting the concept to the city and actually gaining approval. I know Colonnade was identified as a green space in a 1989 MP but when did you approach the city and then ultimately gain approval for the trails?

Thanks,

Ken

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    http://www.bbtc.org/wiki/index.php?t...:I-5_Colonnade

i don't know the specific dates, or detailed info.

Are you actively participating in your own park? If so i could probably connect you to the people who have the answers.
    .~...|\
    ...~.|.\
    ..~..|..\
    .~...|...\
    ~....|....\
    ...~.|.....\
    ....~|____\
    _____||_________
    .\....FAILBOAT..../

Probably drunk right now
    Quote Originally Posted by Skookum
    http://www.bbtc.org/wiki/index.php?t...:I-5_Colonnade

i don't know the specific dates, or detailed info.

Are you actively participating in your own park? If so i could probably connect you to the people who have the answers.
    I'm neck deep in advacocy already. I'm trying to use Colonnade as a benchmark to demonstrate that stunt parks on public lands isn't as simple as walking in to a LM, saying that adding stunts to their land would be cool and expect to build trail the following week.

Colonnade is a very public advocacy success story that was the result of years of behind the scene work. I'm just trying to educate myself on the timelines.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken in KC
    I'm neck deep in advacocy already. I'm trying to use Colonnade as a benchmark to demonstrate that stunt parks on public lands isn't as simple as walking in to a LM, saying that adding stunts to their land would be cool and expect to build trail the following week.

Colonnade is a very public advocacy success story that was the result of years of behind the scene work. I'm just trying to educate myself on the timelines.

Gotcha.

Firstly it's not a stunt park. It's a mountain bike skills park with technical trail features. Our club has just received 150 grand grant for Duthie Hill which is going to be our second mountain bike skill park working with King County now. While there are going to be "stunts" as you would call it, the language we're using is more appropriate for land managers to better understand. Most all of these people are outsiders and don't understand mountain biking, so proper terminology is important.
    It's important to note that Colonnade is many things and will have many trails. The first phase was a cross country loop with natural features, and a gathering area. Now moving forward is a Rock Downhill Trail, a Trials area, a pumptrack, 3 advanced Trails with various spurs emulating North Shore/Whistler (1 natural line, 1 tabletop jump line, 1 elevated structure line), A steep insloped switchback line, and advanced practice area, and the trail i'm working on a beginning level skills building trail.
    The next parks primary focus will be a XC race track, a bmx jump area, mountain bike jump trails, and XC trails with features emulating "A river runs through it". We're early in the process here however. You get alot of people saying they'll support a trail if you get it cleared, of course everybody wants to go the party, but very little want to prepare and clean up. You can't make everyone happy, but you can gain momentum by being multi-faceted in this respect.

As far as timelines, the one thing i do know is it takes forever. i'll ask your question to our former EC and hopefully he'll answer on here. It's a good question that can be better answered by him, i'm more of a soldier on the field, while he's been the general in the war room, so to speak.

i can say that even after the project get's cleared and money is appropriated, there are ALOT more hurdles to jump. The whole process needs dedicated people to make it happen, but i can say that if you pull it off, the rewards you receive are much more than that actual park itself in many respects.
    .~...|\
    ...~.|.\
    ..~..|..\
    .~...|...\
    ~....|....\
    ...~.|.....\
    ....~|____\
    _____||_________
    .\....FAILBOAT..../

Probably drunk right now

Thanks....

Check your pm....

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Skookum: what $150,000 grant did your club receive?

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by kevin marley
    Skookum: what $150,000 grant did your club receive?
    http://www.bbtc.org/wiki/index.php?t...il:Duthie_Hill

King County has provided $100k from their Community Partnership Grand, and $50k from their Youth Sports Facilities Grant.

This project again was years and years in the making. While i don't know the particulars there was extensive behind the scenes negotiating going on. But i will say that with each park our club is successful in creating, the more credibility we gain. The more opportunities.
    .~...|\
    ...~.|.\
    ..~..|..\
    .~...|...\
    ~....|....\
    ...~.|.....\
    ....~|____\
    _____||_________
    .\....FAILBOAT..../