Thread: Cold Temps

mtbr member
    Oct 2007

Cold Temps

I'm curious to know how many of you build and work on trails in cold weather? How cold is too cold and what can be done during the cold temps? I'm in Western Maryland and this week the temps have ranged from 15 degrees at night to 30 degrees during the day.

Human Power LLC
    Mar 2007
    If the ground is frozen, don't bother digging it.

But you still can cut vegetation.

The Voice of Reason
    i would rather be out in the cold than in the heat. i don't have to deal with permafrost though.
    I'm never gonna be a Rock Star

Builder of Trails
    Feb 2004
    Down here in Austin, Texas, we're just starting to get some really cold weather. It's gotten down around the freezing mark over night a couple of times, and today it hasn't risen above 40.

I HATE working in the cold. Cold hurts. I'd much, much, much rather work in triple digits, which is highly likely three weeks out of the year here, than anything under 50 degrees, say. That being stated, I was doing some trail work this morning, properly layered and restricting, when it started misting/pissing rain. Cold and wet combined I do NOT do unless I'm getting paid well. This job is paying well, but I still didn't want to be cold and wet. I left after three hours and am now home, warm and toasty, with my computer on my lap.

D

featherweight clydesdale
    Quote Originally Posted by Giant24Yukon
    I'm curious to know how many of you build and work on trails in cold weather? How cold is too cold and what can be done during the cold temps? I'm in Western Maryland and this week the temps have ranged from 15 degrees at night to 30 degrees during the day.
    I do work in cold, but you need to do different things when the ground is frozen. Rule out a bunch of digging if you have thick permafrost. I have two inches of frozen ground right now. Today I collected and moved rocks and cut logs for berm turn construction. Getting the dirt will have to wait, but you can make forward progress doing odds and ends when the ground is frozen.

Frozen work list (feel free to add):

Clean grade dips
    Cut blow downs
    Trim trail corridor
    Flag new trail and clear corridor
    Signs and trail markers
    Move rock/logs for turn construction

HIKE!
    We managed to do some work in truly frozen ground (15 degree overnight temps and daytime highs only at 35 for a few weeks) with both hand crews and a Ditch Witch SK500. But after a bit of snow fell and melted into the ground, the subsequent freeze has us shut out. Especially on the north facing slopes, or sections that are real clay type soil that has set up like concrete.

I like Willy's list. Add to his:

Plan work days, make flyers/release forms, etc
    Talk to land managers, get new work/projects lined out.
    Show a movie, get your workers/volunteers stoked for summer.

mtbr member
    We have a big work day scheduled for tommorrow and a front marched through this morning and we will work no matter what. Temps this evening and early morning are expected to get down to 58 or so. We prepare for the conditions at hand.
    IF YOU CAN READ THIS, YOU'RE NOT RIDING (or building)!

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    58??? I dream of a day when the temp reaches 58 again. I'm considering going out today and the high is expected to be 33 with chances of light snow. I guess I won't be digging. I'll be moving.

SamIAm
    yeah, its goign to be a while before it gets that warm around here for more than a day or 2.

i cant wait to start building, finally have a city approved trail that was marked out last fall
    <(*-*<) Go Ride (>*-*)>

05 SxT: totemcoil, dhxair, juicycarbons, LXcranks, X9kit, halo freedomdisc, deity compound pedals

mtbr member

Trail Layout

I've been walking a piece of land to plan for a new trail. It's snow covered this year, we're on the cusp of breaking the all-time snowfall record here. 78 inches so far, but due to several thaws it's really not much over a foot in most places.

When the temperature drops under 15 F or is too windy I can't get much done because my hands are too cold to tie flags. I can still take GPS readings though.

I'm looking forward to another thaw so I can verify that water is moving through the land the way I think it will.

Walt