Zach Attack

Character Driven Trails

While this is an extreme example, the type of trail I love to explore is homemade creative stuff. Even miles of sweet flowy trail may not fully engage people without interruption or distinctions to experience. I try to incorporate natural found oddities and features. Lets face it, this is the big difference normally between a contracted trail and one developed by locals.

I would love to see other examples of character driven design.

We have been building a new trail to connect to a planned suspension bridge. The terrain was intense with 30ft cliffs and massive moss covered bedrock. Although way different that our normal natural surface trail work, the community has been alive with buzz and excitement.

This segment is 600ft long, 8% grade, four feet+ wide. To mitigate the radical terrain, elevated trail had to be built in sections. This took 37 days of work with around four volunteers per day average to do. Cost of materials was around $8500. More photos and videos can be found on our FB site https://www.facebook.com/pages/Fores...e/259879963132

Character Driven Trails-copy-2-dscf4905.jpg

Character Driven Trails-img_0211.jpg

Character Driven Trails-copy-wall-moss-boulder.jpg
    Learn to love it[SIZE="4"][/SIZE]
    www.foresttrailsalliance.org

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Zacki,

Agree points of "distinction" are part of what separates the good from the great.

Always love seeing your trail rock work. Was the arch simply to minimize the length of the wall work or does it have another function? I know the arch is shotcrete. How much of the wall rock work is actually mortarless dry stack?

How far was the crush and run imported in from and how?

Thanks!

Zach Attack
    You can see more detail photos on our FB site which has a daily log, and videos and photos.
    Not seen above is a huge culvert that dumps water right above the trail. There will be a hardened basin right above to receive and allow the water to pass under the trail. This 10ft hanging 18"dia pipe will be detailed as a cedar log using ferrocement and Faux Bois techniques.
    Character Driven Trails-dscf4729.jpg

The arch is not shotcrete (air driven concrete) but drystacked stone on a falseworks arch, bedded with sand to eliminate bleed through of the mortar that captures the back two thirds of each stone. Mortar is wet bonded to hand placed concrete 3" thick, then wet placed rebar with another wet placed 3" of concrete.
    Character Driven Trails-copy-dscf4805.jpg

There are three forty foot + walls that are quarried basalt stone with a color band of burgundy. These are engineered structural walls, we also built 400ft of moss covered drystack granite, some of which were 16,000lbs each.
    Character Driven Trails-copy-wall-moss-boulder.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Thanks for the answers. Assume shotcrete from you last bridge posting on this forum, my bad. Like this technique better, more flexible for remote trail builds.

Scrolled down further on FB to see more of the postings. In one shot could see where you appear headed for suspension bridge. Looks like that will be a interesting project also.

Zach Attack
    I have renamed this project..."Suspense-ion Bridge Project"

Forgot to respond to how we got stone to site. We constructed wood chutes to slide 5 gallon buckets down with. Also have larger basket for boulders. Intense way to do it for sure.

Here is a video of how we got some of the boulders up onto the trail...

DSCF4580 - YouTube

Our non profit trail group, FTA, is building the trail and my contracting company will be pouring the foundations for the bridge company.

mtbr member
    Zachi what you guys are doing is an inspiration. I am going to send our crew leaders to all check out your facebook posts from the last month.

Drew

mtbr member
    You're lucky to have access to funding to create such masterpieces. 37 days of work + 8500$ of material is about 36days/7500$ than I'm usually allowed to build a bridge over the same span. I'd like to have the resources to create that kind of work!

Keep posting these. They truly are a great source of inspiration.
    A trailbuilder from the north

I need skills
    Jul 2004
    Wow. Just wow!

mtbr member
    Bravo!