mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Change.org petition directed at the USFS

Just thought I would pass this along to you advocates on this forum.

I was sent a link to the petition "U.S. Forest Service: Stop Discriminating Against Mountain Bikers" on Change.org.

Here's the link:

http://www.change.org/petitions/u-s-...ntain-bikers-2
    Grammar and spelling errors are complementary.

mtbr member
    I got it two days ago and signed it. I also got over thirty of my friends from all around North America to sign it as well...
    If more people rode more bikes, more places, more often, the world would be a more better place!

I signed it, but I wonder if it might be more effective if posted on the White House petition website.

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Is there more information on both sides of the issue available that is non biased?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I believe a number of updates have been added to the text some days ago, indicating more detail about the gravity of it. The closure is being considered by the RRRD, who is the local FS entity. Thus specific closure information is not available, as the FS has not publicized it. From attendance at meetings between various cycling advocacy organizations and the FS, the local ranger and recreation manager within the RRRD have stated their intent to implement said closure which will affect anywhere from 25 to 50% of the known trails, and is specific to MTB only. It has been recommended at the local level to a higher level. Pending approval, it would go to FS legal for screening prior to implementation. This petition may help to shape the gravity and/or scope due to the timing, but only time and level of participation will tell. Even if you take the lowest estimated level of closure, 25%, this is significant, and only directed at one user group. Thus the base argument of discrimination is valid.
    Grammar and spelling errors are complementary.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    So, looking for some more info. There are lots of unofficial or unrecognized trails ?

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by zrm View Post
    Is there more information on both sides of the issue available that is non biased?
    Check out here for some more info: IMPORTANT- Petition seeking equal trail access for Mountain Bikes

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by jmitchell13 View Post

Is the point of the petition to speak out in support of off trail cross country travel by MTB? Or is the point to say that off trail XC travel by footor equestrian use should also be illegal.

Personally, I don't support illegal trail building by any user group or off trail travel by MTBs or any wheeled vehicle.

Tre1nt
    Feb 2006
    I want to make it clear that this petition is not supported by IMBA. Our name is invoked in the petition copy which is leading to some confusion. There are some worthy concerns voiced in the petition but this is not the best route, we believe, for changing Forest Service policy. We're not telling anyone that they shouldn't voice their opinions through whatever mechanism they choose, but IMBA will not support this petition effort.

-- Mark Eller, IMBA communications director
    mark DOT eller AT imba DOT com
    Last edited by Mark E; 03-15-2013 at 10:14 AM.

IMBA south west
    Please feel free to contact me for a full and accurate picture of this situation. A couple of points:

1. A closure has not been decided upon by the USFS
    2. I have stated that we are against the idea of a closure, and against any discrimination against mountain bikers. We wish to see a trail-by-trail review and decisions made using that data. I have let local advocates know this position many times.
    3. The petition does not reference the great work completed by the USFS recently, including approving many non-system trails and approving new trail construction.

The folks behind this petition have presented an inaccurate picture of the situation.

YRG
    mtbr member
    Feb 2012

Imba?

I worry about IMBA's credibility after naming Park City the first gold standard whatever for mountain biking. Makes me think you guys are more about real estate development and generating dollars. Perhaps you guys just don't know how to ride bikes other than pedal them. As one of the many people who have been working hard to help bring mountain biking into the present in Park City(PC is about 15-20 years behind the times), I have to say you guys are a major setback for our work. So either please learn to ride or quit selling out. Because we don't need any other voices singing praises for thoughtless, straightest line possible, cookie cutter trails that lack any creativity or passion.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Had to search around for the specifics since it wasn't posted in this thread... Just like any type of voting, it is good to be informed.

Though I have only ridden in your beautiful area a few time, I am a professional trail contractor with many years of riding and building experience.

I have seen many rider built areas turn from fun narrow singletrack to played out highways. Some "core" locals may feel that following IMBA standards leads to gentrification and homogenizing of trails. This may be so to some extent.... But what some folks really miss in this equation is the RISING AMOUNT OF USERS as well as LOWERING SKILL LEVEL.

If you and your bros who are all good riders built a trail 10 years ago that you could all ride and was fun, narrow and smooth that is cool. The reality is you live in serious tourist mecca and that trail has been found... 50 people a day ride it and many of them are intermediate riders, over their head, skidding, blowing out turns and widening the trail when they pull over for high fives or to puke.

The best thing locals can do is work with the USFS, IMBA and other advocacy groups to find what is best. Yeah, you are going to lose some trails but this is not about you, this is about finding a balance between what ALL user groups need, and what is sustainable and manageable as the user numbers increase.

Educate your users... Both local and visitors...

I see on the Sedona Mountain Bike Club website that they are stoked that they now have 50 members, pretty poor showing for town that size. It would be a shame if more people blindly signed a petition than joined the local mountain bike trail advocacy group. Get organized!

In case any one wants to look at some of the info, cut and paste these two links:

http://sedonamtbclub.com/wp-content/...ar-20-2013.pdf

http://sedonamtbclub.com/wp-content/...March-2013.pdf

IMBA south west
    Good words H-Ball, I appreciate it.

YRG
    mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by h-ball View Post
    Had to search around for the specifics since it wasn't posted in this thread... Just like any type of voting, it is good to be informed.

Though I have only ridden in your beautiful area a few time, I am a professional trail contractor with many years of riding and building experience.

I have seen many rider built areas turn from fun narrow singletrack to played out highways. Some "core" locals may feel that following IMBA standards leads to gentrification and homogenizing of trails. This may be so to some extent.... But what some folks really miss in this equation is the RISING AMOUNT OF USERS as well as LOWERING SKILL LEVEL.

If you and your bros who are all good riders built a trail 10 years ago that you could all ride and was fun, narrow and smooth that is cool. The reality is you live in serious tourist mecca and that trail has been found... 50 people a day ride it and many of them are intermediate riders, over their head, skidding, blowing out turns and widening the trail when they pull over for high fives or to puke.

The best thing locals can do is work with the USFS, IMBA and other advocacy groups to find what is best. Yeah, you are going to lose some trails but this is not about you, this is about finding a balance between what ALL user groups need, and what is sustainable and manageable as the user numbers increase.

Educate your users... Both local and visitors...

I see on the Sedona Mountain Bike Club website that they are stoked that they now have 50 members, pretty poor showing for town that size. It would be a shame if more people blindly signed a petition than joined the local mountain bike trail advocacy group. Get organized!

In case any one wants to look at some of the info, cut and paste these two links:

http://sedonamtbclub.com/wp-content/...ar-20-2013.pdf

http://sedonamtbclub.com/wp-content/...March-2013.pdf
    Our "Bros" are professional trail builders, Trail managers, and so on. You assume much when I say that IMBA has done us a great diservice concerning who we are and what we want. All my bros are either working professionally to make our trails better or volunteer hundreds of hours working with our land managers. What IMBA did with it's "gold star" bs that Park City does not deserve is legitimize a style of trail building that lacks any skill, creativity, and flow (not meaning slopestyle). Take a look at Boulder and Moose Bones trails at Deer Valley and the many new bulldozed cuts that are showing up deserving nothing but a two thumbs down for any kind style or thought to creativity. What is prevalent here is a dollar mentality. Meaning trail builders get the most money for the straightest line between two points. We also have some shinning examples of folks trying to truly make our trails better.

I am not complaining about the gentrification standards (One bro says we are making trails wheel chair accessible and we should just go ahead and pave them). That would be a different debate. British Columbia has the best argument why that is a bad idea and they have the clout to win that without debate.

I am not talking difficulty either. We do have a couple trails that are beginner friendly with flow and creativity and fun. Just because someone is an intermediate rider does not mean they only deserve blank cookie cutter thoughtless trails. We want better trails not exclusive trails as you seem to imply.
    No one who knows mountain biking (not just xc) can look at Park City and think it sits on top of anything. We are working hard to catch up. A lot of good things are happening this season. All I am saying is IMBA is selling out. Park City is full of cash. What a great idea for them to buddy up (suck up?) to them to help them get some much needed money. IMBA doesn't completely suck, they just royally screwed this one up.

I also think that you (h-ball) made some errors in thinking you know who and what we are about and thinking you know what we need here better than we do after riding over here "a few times". It is somewhat ironic that you are suggesting from a ignorant perspective that we educate ourselves. But you do get the benefit of the doubt with your motives (trying to help).

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    YRG

Certainly only trying to help. You guys live in a pretty special spot. Good luck, ride on!