mtbr member

Carrying full planks?

What's the best way to carry 8-10 footers of rough cut deep into the woods?
    Bridges need to be built, and there is no downed trees in the area(s).
    Trails range from open to twisty tight singletrack.
    Please don't say, carrying is the only option!

www.Saratogamtb.org
    I'd hit it, but I bruise like a peach.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

tom
    Dec 2007
    you cold clear a path nd put it on something like trailer on a quadbike or somthing

Single Speed Junkie
    Build a log carrier.

Take two old wheels and fix them together, here is where creativity come into play. If you have some 20mm axle hubs it is a fairly simple process. If you have some old QR wheels find some old forks and weld them together with a piece of steel inbetween as the carrier. Make sure you have some method of strapping the logs to the carrier.

Next get a few people with strong backs and weak minds for some heavy lifting to balance the log about 60/40 weight distribution over the main axle. You really don't want to be lifting alot of weight when moving this thing around, but you need enough so when you stop it will be controllable.

Of course if you have access to a heli like that by all means take full advantage.

mtbr member
    I was looking into running a couple B.O.B.s in tandem. I'd just have to modify the rear hub spacing. And shorten up the turns......
    I'd hit it, but I bruise like a peach.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004
    Seriously!

Contact your local equestrian group, they will (maybe) be flattered!

"We LOVE cows! They make trails for us.....

And then we eat them."

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Heavy duty bike cargo trailers:

http://www.bikesatwork.com/
    Michael Vitti
    CLIMB President
    www.CLIMBonline.org
    www.IMBA.com
    NY State Trails Council Member

i also unicycle
    Jan 2007
    i can vouch for the bikes at work trailers. i used to work for them using their trailers to haul several hundred pounds of recycling. single track would (obviously) be a no go, but if you've got something a bit wider and/or smoother you should be golden.
    mtbr says you should know: i work in a bike shop.
    bikes & beers (on my blog) http://idontrideenough.blogspot.com/

I've done things two ways in the past.

1. Pre-build bridges in segments. Float them across a lake by towing them with a jon boat or a canoe. Carry them a relatively short distance uphill to put in place.

2. Pre-build bridges in segments. Bolt riding lawnmower wheels (rougher trails need larger diameter wheels) onto the bridge. Wheel bridge into place, remove wheels, install.

beer thief
    The wheel is your friend. The trailers and axle ideas above can work very well. We've balanced pretty heavy planks on handlebars/seat and wheeled them in on bike (while walking), but it is tedious on tight, twisty singletrack.

If those doesn't work for the terrain you're in, how about winter transport? We moved a huge plank by putting one guy in front pulling & steering a sled and two guys in back with slings over our shoulders. It was a grunt, but half the weight was on the sled.

mtbr member
    Try .. http://www.forestry-suppliers.com ...they have log haulers that could be used to run planks too! They have lots of stuff!!
    IF YOU CAN READ THIS, YOU'RE NOT RIDING (or building)!

mtbr member
    Here are a couple of links to photos of a "log arch". These are expensive, but you should be able to get the basic idea and possibly replicate it with a homemade version.

http://www.futureforestry.com/forest...ng/images.html
    http://www.futureforestry.com/forest...jr/images.html

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I havent' seen one up close, but you could also try a canoe portage "trailer". They are usually two wheeled jobs that help act as a second set of "hands" during portages or moving your boat to the waterline so you don't have to carry all the weight. Strap the planks to the trailer, and you're good to go.

I like the idea of carrying teh stuff on your bike tho, perhaps by mounting an old handlebar in the stem (so you don't ruin your current/good bar) and then you don't have to worry about carrying out some form of wood-hauling device.

Tim