mtbr member

Carlsbad, Oceanside, California : Jan 10 at 8 a.m.

North County Mountain Bikers:
    Here's what's happening around North County

CARLSBAD:
    Trail work at La Costa on Jan 10 at 8 a.m.

URGENT: The City of Carlsbad is embarking on a multi-year project called "Envision Carlsbad." The City is reaching out to the community to learn what is most important to its citizens. Carlsbad mountain bikers need to be involved in this process. First meeting is Wednesday, January 14 at 6pm, room 173, City of Carlsbad Faraday Center. Please contact me and recruit fellow Carlsbad mountain bikers to pitch in. This could be a pivotal opportunity to maintain trail access.

There will be an SDMBA sponsored trail day at Calavera on March 8. More details to follow.

If you know who is building illegal trails in Calavera (or anywhere else for that matter), tell them to knock it off! It's going to erode our credibility and cost us trails in the long run if they keep it up.

OCEANSIDE

The City of Oceanside's Bicycle Committee has embraced the "Bicycle Skills Park" concept and has identified a 4 acre parcel near I-5 that could accommodate a pump track, jump park, progressive skills area, BMX track, and even some XC trails. Please contact me if you are interested in working on this project.

Erik Trogden
    North County Coastal Liaison
    SDMBA
    www.sdmba.com

etrogden@hotmail.com

Pin it
    If I come down to San Diego for the summer I would be more than willing to help out. North county really needs this stuff

mtbr member

Carlsbad, Calavera

URGENT: The City of Carlsbad is embarking on a multi-year project called "Envision Carlsbad." The City is reaching out to the community to learn what is most important to its citizens. Carlsbad mountain bikers need to be involved in this process. First meeting is Wednesday, January 14 at 6pm, room 173, City of Carlsbad Faraday Center. Please contact me and recruit fellow Carlsbad mountain bikers to pitch in. This could be a pivotal opportunity to maintain trail access

mtbr member

Thanks

Thanks to the riders who showed up at the "Envision Carlsbad" meeting. They had a list of about 60 "stakeholder groups" who should be consulted: Sierra Club, conservation groups, but no mention of SDMBA, IMBA, or mountain bikers. No conspiracy here, we're just not on anyone's radar. We're on the agenda now, but we need the collective voice of ALL Carlsbad mountain bikers if we are going to have any influence. How? All Carlsbad residents will be receive survey in the mail. Mountain bikers need to respond and voice their interest in access to trails. Stay tuned for future meeting dates.

mtbr member

Get involved

North County MTB:

Carlsbad Mountain Bikers listen up. We need YOU to get involved. I have offers pouring in from surrounding cities, but barely a whimper form Carlsbad mountain bikers stepping up to get involved. About ten riders showed up at the Envision Carlsbad meeting last week: (4 from Vista, 3 from Oceanside, one from Encinitas, and one from Carlsbad, thanks Derek!).

Basically, the City of Carlsbad is engaging residents in the process of identifying a collective vision for Carlsbad's future. This will be done through community meetings, focus group interviews, and a survey sent to every home.

What can you do?

1) Forward this message to your acquaintences in Carlsbad as only Carlsbad residents will be surveyed

2) if you are a Carlsbad resident, plan to attend the community meeting in your quadrant:
    NE - March 23
    SE - Mar 25
    SW - April 15
    NW - April 16

3) Respond to opportunities in the survey to advance the cause of trail access in Carlsbad. There are 8-10 opportunities in the survey to share your thoughts about open space, recreation, and trails.

4) if you want to get connected, join us on our Tuesday night ride at Calavera. We leave the New Venture Church on Cannon at about 6:15p.m. every Tuesday

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&um...&cd=1&resnum=1

Regards,

Erik Trogden
    San Diego Mountain Biking Association
    www.sdmba.com

mtbr member

Calavera Trail Day

February 28th at Calavera! This is an important opportunity for mountain bikers, hikers, and others to come together for the common cause of taking care of our precious open spaces. Let's demonstrate that we are responsible stewards of Calavera by pitching in to make it a better place for everyone who enjoys it.

SDMBA is collaborating with the CA Dept. of Fish and Game to do habitat restoration and erosion control on a heavily used trail falling southwest away from the quarry; sometimes referred to as The Spine or Mordor. The 200 yard long stretch of trail has widened significantly over time and needs some work to repair damage from rain and overuse.

9:00 to Noon. Staging area TBD. Same format as La Costa with food, schwag and lot' s of education about how YOU can make a difference.

Erik Trogden
    SDMBA

Skeej

SAVE THE DATE - Calavera Nature Preserve trail work with SDMBA for DFG

Great work Eric and Rich.

I know that you and your SDMBA experienced trail builders will "wow" the land manager, and local bikers don't forget this is a great way for anyone new to trail work to learn from the masters.

Its also going to be a really good informal sweat-equity and learning experience, which according to IMBAs Trail Crew, is the best way to create multi-user, multi-stakeholder relationships based on shared love of the land, and shared understanding of the other persons point of view.

So, if you want to meet some of the finest folks you will ever meet, learn more about the complicated habitat preservation process from Warren Wong, the DFG land manager who was instrumental in the original NCCP process, and prove how responsible use can help land managers deter and drive out irresponsible abuse, this is THE way to get in on the ground floor and make a difference where you love to ride, where you can show your grand-kids someday how you helped.

Erik, I'll be there with pick in hand, and when you have confirmed details, I'd be glad to post flyers around the area, including the homes on the west side.

Skeej

PS: remember - this is NOT City land - opportunities to work there, with CNLM will come later when the big master trail plan is finally approved. This is State land, under DFG control, where success here may have regional and statewide beneficial impact, if we can build this into a trusted relationship bit-by-bit.