mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Cargo Containers as a shed/rideable feature

Hi everyone, I'm a member of CAMBr West(Chicago Area Mountain Bikers) www.cambr.org and we are building a dirt jump park in Plainfield IL.

We are looking into using a 20'x8'x8' cargo container as our shed and also as a ridable feature(wall ride on the long side and a jump/tranny on each end to get up on top).

I was wondering if anyone has used a cargo container in a manner like this and knows if the roof can hold up to the weight of 2-3 people with bikes without being reinforced. I've seen pictures of containers being used but have not been able to track down where they are being used. If you know of a location that uses containers like this let me know so I can try to locate the trail builders

~~~~~~~~
    Quote Originally Posted by Seanbike
    If you know of a location that uses containers like this let me know so I can try to locate the trail builders
    whistler.
    containers are typically stacked on top of each other so I would assume they can handle quite a bit of weight. I don't recall if whistler has wood on top of them, maybe just some plywood?
    Last edited by airwreck; 12-11-2007 at 10:55 AM.

FM
    luxatio erecta

yeah, as Airwreck mentioned, there is the ultimate step-up to container move on "freight train" at whistler.

We are/were hoping to build something similar at Colonade in Seattle, but we hit some snags- I don't recall if they were with the city, access, or the price of getting a freight container in there was too high? You might contact mwestra2 for details. Anyways we are building a 6x8x8' "shed" out of layered plywood and steel mesh, (pretty burly to prevent theft) and there will be an elevated line that goes up & over it. I can keep you posted if you like- there's more info here.

~~~~~~~~
    I forgot the direction they had them oriented. with one container used the long way there probably is the likelyhood of beating the top. Add some joists and decking. Great idea to combine the storage shed as a feature!