jake the snake
    Feb 2008

New question here. building a trail at NO COST

Well I have decied to make a trail to ride on in my back yard,barn lot, and feild, I am trying to get ideas on what to do i have moed out a path on where I would like it to be. The reason I say no cost is I am 13 and I just spent all my money on my ex 7. I thought about tilling it up but thought it would make the ground to loose I am going to weed eat it to the dirt to make it easyer to ride. But i like to jump my bike and around where I am build ing the trail there is no natural formations any hints an bilding this would be very helpful thanks Jacob

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Assuming you have access to tools, use whats there to build jumps. Downed trees, or cut one down and use that to build a ramp. Tree truck for stringer and small branches or split logs for the riding surface.

Or get a shovel and build up dirt to make a jump.

Save a few dollars and buy rough cut lumber to build with, it's dirt cheap. We use rough cut hemlock on our trails because of it's rot resistance.

mtbr member
    Tilling works great. On flat sections set your tiller shallow to take off the soil down to the roots of the grass/ weeds. Then go back with a shovel or rake and remove that top 2-3 inches of soil. Be sure that you do this with drainage in mind. Digging a trench to ride in would suck.

On inclines use the tiller for bench cutting. With a shovel and a wheelbarrow you can cart dirt that you got from off your trailbed to places you want to build jumps.

jake the snake
    Feb 2008
    about how much is rough cut lumber after today I might have 20-30 dollers left of my one hundred. To help yall out I will take some pitchers tody of what I have to work with.

Sheepherder/Cat Herder Moderator
    sounds like a damn fine place to build a pump track!!!
    ...building wherever they'll let me...

mtbr member
    Why bother tilling? If you have a weed eater, just weedeat down to dirt and you have an instant trail. Seems to me that tilling just encourages erosion till the bed gets packed down again. (Tilling a bench cut DOES make sense though).

If you have access to a motorcycle, ride your new trail with that several times - the power and agressive tires will cut a trail pretty quickly.

When I was a kid (i.e., no money), we dug holes and piled up the dirt to form jumps and woop-de-do's. As stated above, you can do alot with downed trees. Raid the trash heaps at construction sites for lumber. Grab old cross ties when the local railroad replaces them. Use shipping pallets for temporary features (cause they'll rot in about a year). Ask local building supply stores if you can have any sacks of Quickrete that have solidified - they're heavy but make great feature foundations. Watch for demolition sites where sidewalks, driveways, or concrete slabs are being busted up - can also be used for foundations and armoring. Just be creative and keep your eyes open all the time.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jacob381
    about how much is rough cut lumber after today I might have 20-30 dollers left of my one hundred. To help yall out I will take some pitchers tody of what I have to work with.

Save your 20 bucks kid...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Take your 20 bucks and buy a spade shovel and wheelbarrow and get to it. Pump track and dirt jumps. Don't bother with wood and especially not cutting down trees (unless one is absolutely in the way and you can't find a good flowy way around it). Unless you are very dedicated--it's going to be a lot of work by yourself. Get some friends to help. I've been watching some kids your age work for 4 days on a line at our spot and they've managed to dig maybe 4 wheelbarrows full. Now they realize how much of a pain it is to make good jumps. You're on your way to learning that lesson as well.

Ride Responsibly
    go to IMBA.com for info on how to build a good trail, maybe jumps, check the LBS to find locals willing to help.

I need skills
    Jul 2004

I second the weed whacker idea

instant trail using a line trimmer weed whacker. With no hill nor terrain pump track features would be great fun. www.leelikesbikes.com for info.

get a plan, get some friends over and have fun.

mowing first may make the line trimmer work better. good luck and post photos of the end result.

jake the snake
    Feb 2008
    ok well M path is mostly flat and some small hilly parts but to do all this work I will need some help but I cant get it it will be a lop around track but it cant have any thing so big it will hurt people when thjey come through so I should just weed wack it and build my own jumps ok and I you have any more tips on what to do plese!!!! drop a post thanks jacob.