mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Building a Trail Above a Road

We have the opportunity to re-route a steep section of trail above a state highway. We are very excited to begin, but are very concerned that rocks moved during construction could tumble down the steep hillside and harm or kill motorists.

Is there an effective means to mitigate this danger? Fencing at the work site? Closing down the highway is not feasible.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Hire a professional builder, with insurance, for that king of job. I guess you have strict regulation in the States in regard of work near public infrastructures.

Check out the PTBA for a list of potential contractor (trailbuilders.org)
    A trailbuilder from the north

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    We have several professional builders on the project, one of them with 30 years experience. All of us are trying come up with a creative, effective way of mitigating this danger.

I build my own.
    Your best bet is to close the highway.

Your second best bet is a solid wall below you. Maybe something moveable like a trench box.
    Trench Safety Solutions | United Rentals

Your third best bet is this stuff but the risks are still really high.
    Wire Rope Cargo Net

Even a tiny rock hitting a car driving by is potentially fatal.

As Hypnotic has said. There are going to be regulations in place that will dictate what you must do. My ideas are just ideas.
    I have a device that can access the total knowledge of man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and argue with strangers.