mtbr member
    Oct 2012

Building a pole bridge

Found myself hijacking a different thread, so moved to my own.

Slid these into place Saturday. Removed that leaner and cleaned up the area yesterday. Need to set the abutments at each end this week.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Building a pole bridge-bridge-poles1.jpg  

Building a pole bridge-bridge-poles2.jpg  

I build my own.
    Are they treated? And do you know what with? What are you using for abuttments?
    I have a device that can access the total knowledge of man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and argue with strangers.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Set the upright posts today. Plan to place another tie under each end and secure it to the posts with bolts.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Building a pole bridge-img_0388.jpg  

Building a pole bridge-east-end1.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail Ninja View Post
    Are they treated? And do you know what with? What are you using for abuttments?
    Treated. Creosote. Will place a horizontal RR tie at each end. These will only be used by friends and family, walking and biking and only when there is water in the creek, which is fairly rare.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Completed the setting abutment/support. Still need to cut the relief in the cross tie to level poles and then bolt everything together and drive the re-bar to anchor everything.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Building a pole bridge-support.jpg  

Building a pole bridge-10-foot-drop.jpg  

I build my own.
    You doing this all on your own?
    I have a device that can access the total knowledge of man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and argue with strangers.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Yep, well, my skid steer and me.

I build my own.

featherweight clydesdale
    Looks great, keep the picks coming.
    Charlottesville Area Mountain Bike Club
    www.cambc.org

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Finished. The one photo looks odd, because the treads are cut to fit around the posts. Those are straight. I did make a mistake when placing the poles and the tapers are at alternate ends. That caused an angle in the middle. There is a correction by using some tapered wedges. Again, the photo from the end makes it look much more dramatic. In the long run, I know that will bug me, so I will end up cutting some different wedges to fix it, but I was racing the weather.The photo looking up is more realistic.

I will do the next one with the large ends of both poles at the same end. This was a learning bridge for me and I'm overall happy. It is solid. I wouldn't go any longer though with poles. I have a shorter one to build with poles and I will use steel box joists for the longer span.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Building a pole bridge-finished1.jpg  

Building a pole bridge-finished2.jpg  

Building a pole bridge-finished3.jpg  

Building a pole bridge-finished4.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2004
    FS specs say you'll need hand rail.
    There's a big difference between ripping and skidding. Those who skid don't know how to ride.

I build my own.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave_schuldt View Post
    I'm pretty sure this is on private property. He should be OK.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave_schuldt View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail Ninja View Post
    I'm pretty sure this is on private property. He should be OK.
    Private, but I do intend to add rails or rope. My wife is slightly timid when it comes to something like this.

I build my own.
    Quote Originally Posted by RidingMyTrail View Post
    Private, but I do intend to add rails or rope. My wife is slightly timid when it comes to something like this.
    Consider toe rails if hand rails aren't a requirement (children or elderly users). They're out of the way of your bars, they will keep you from riding off unless you hit them hard and they give you the visual confidence some folks need on a higher bridge.

They're also a lot easier to install than hand rails.

Building a pole bridge-cox-bridge-2-07.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Great idea. Thanks