30 Czech

Building with gabions

Lately I've been thinking that gabion would be ideal tool for building retaining walls or similar features on a trail that is (for one reason or another) unreachable to heavy machinery.
    Does anybody have any experience with them?
    What forms are best, what sort of wire to use, ...
    If life gives you lemons, cry like a little girl

mtbr member
    For those unfamiliar with this structure:

Gabion - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I have no experience with them. Could be a tough sell with the property manager?

Walt

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Most of the Colonnade is built this way.

mtbr member
    I used to fabricate a lot of Gabions with my landscape business. Everything from the ultra-cheap to semi-expensive.
    Ultra Cheap is using re-bar as the frame material. Cut and or bend the rebar to the shape you need. Use #4 for stout framing stuff that usually the ends of the gabion frame. Use #3 for the stringers and pieces to tie the whole thing together. Basic shapes are boxes, and the largest single box using #3 rebar is about 20"x20" without the steel bending too far. #4 rebar can make up to a 24"x24" box without excessive warping. Frame wire can be the 2"x4" fencing material that you can buy at any home center. It is galvanized so be careful when welding the wire onto the frame. Thicker gauge is better.
    For a better longer lasting welded wire material, I bought 4'x10' sheets of 2"x2" plain steel welded wire from the McNicols company. Sheet or coil products constructed by welding or weaving wire into a specified grid or pattern. The wire thickness was around a 14 gauge. It seems like they have a number of distribution sites across the country.
    For an upgrade of frame material, I used plain steel tubing usually a 1-1/2" square in a 16 guage thickness. BUT this can get expensive. Number 4 rebar worked the best.
    In many places I welded the frame material at home and transported it to the work site. Hopefully you will have rocks on site. Importing rocks is no fun and its expensive. To give an idea of how much I charged for a complete gabion, filled with rock, the pricing was about $35 a linear foot. This was for a 24" tall, 16" wide gabion.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Building with gabions-img_0200.jpg  

There is a big difference between ripping and skidding.