Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    i don't think that railroad trestles are built quite so sturdily. amazing work.

mtbr member
    Never built bridges for mtb before, but after spending most of my life around horses I would say the best way to keep horses off the bridge is to space the slats far enough apart that you can see through them. Horses are not very likely to cross something they can see through w/o a significant amount of training.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Dang! Why dont u just pave those damned "trails"! What are you using a mtn bike for? Get my road bike out for those.....

I build my own.
    Quote Originally Posted by forrestvt View Post
    Dang! Why dont u just pave those damned "trails"! What are you using a mtn bike for? Get my road bike out for those.....
    Can we see pictures of the ones you built? Just so we know how to do it right?
    I have a device that can access the total knowledge of man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and argue with strangers.

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by woodway View Post
    Just finished a bridge here in the PNW and we reclaimed downed cedar and axe split the decking boards. Traction is great dry or wet and cedar lasts a long time. I've used the rough sawn cedar as well, and will sometimes score it a bit more with a chainsaw for extra traction.

Why is that there? The trail doesn't look like it's particularly prone to poor drainage.

mtbr member
    That trail is a low flat swampy area 9 months out of the year. The spot the bridge is on is usually really thick mud at best and deep standing water at its worst. It is a poor draining area with no real slope to divert the water away.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Lynch View Post
    That trail is a low flat swampy area 9 months out of the year. The spot the bridge is on is usually really thick mud at best and deep standing water at its worst. It is a poor draining area with no real slope to divert the water away.
    Looks great.
    Misfit diSSent 1x10
    Jet 9

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by zrm View Post
    Why is that there? The trail doesn't look like it's particularly prone to poor drainage.
    What Mr. Lynch said. Notice the same curved tree on the right side in both photos.

Last edited by woodway; 09-15-2012 at 04:48 PM.

mtbr member
    What Mr. Lynch said. Notice the same curved tree on the right side in both photos.

The before shot makes the after shot even better. Great work.
    Misfit diSSent 1x10
    Jet 9

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I would enjoy riding the after shot in the before setting!

mtbr member
    In a few weeks it will be possible! It doesnt take much to flood out that spot.

beer thief
    We've built a fair number, from bog bridges (puncheons) up to 50' span steel stringers.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Building bridges-19builder-reflection.jpg  

Building bridges-pp-bog-bridges.jpg  

Building bridges-completed-bridge.jpg  

Building bridges-steel-w-posts2.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Does that Harpoon IPA help with the build?

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by robbiexor View Post
    I would enjoy riding the after shot in the before setting!
    You can do it right now! (thanks jalm111 for the photo)

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    You can do it right now! (thanks jalm111 for the photo)

Very, very cool!
    Lynn Woods
    JRA cycles
    YETI cycles.com

mtbr member
    I am going to turn my back yard into a short trail system this year. I have about 6 acres available. Mostly hard woods but there is a beaver dam a quarter mile from me that has backed up a low section of my land. There is a 150' section of water and marsh I have to cross. I t may be a couple feet deep in places. My plan is to set log pylons every 20 ' and cut trees for the stringers and deck. Does this make sense? I want to do this as inexpensively as possible. It will only be used for mnt. biking and dog walking.
    thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Building bridges-trail-map.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Anyone have any resources that give a sense of how long different types of woods (harvested from the surrounding dead trees) used as stringers will last without protection (rocks underneath etc.)? Have used oak stringers and am loathe to go back and get rock under them as there is little good rock available and no good trail access for carting it in.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Amazing bridge. Crazy really. Do you have resources you can share about how one is made? Do you create a template to lay it out on? Seems like it would be simple but a lot of hard work for that price.

Zach Attack
    Awesome bridges!

Just a shout out... PT and Plastic are crap. PT is really toxic to use for trail user exposure. In Calif, new PT is called ACQ, lots of PT still used has arsenic in it and one sliver can result in amputation of a finger in a couple days. Took 11 years of thousands of amputations prior to doing something about it. Even though illegal to have exposed PT for building homes, it was commonly used for bridges etc... crazy.

Plastic, or Trex stuff is horrible. Grows mold like crazy, degrades with sunlight and is toxic if it burns.

We use local cedar due to its resistance to rot. Like redwood, it is brittle so you must utilize different span calcs. We also use lots of rock like photos I have provided.

There is a killer time lapse of a stone faced culvert bridge we built last week at our FB site Forest Trails Alliance | Facebook

Here are a couple concrete bridges we are working on

Building bridges-p7291732.jpgBuilding bridges-dscf0340.jpg
    Learn to love it[SIZE="4"][/SIZE]
    www.foresttrailsalliance.org

humber river advocate
    very cool, like those concrete bridges... gives me a few ideas...

Quote Originally Posted by zachi View Post
    Awesome bridges!

Just a shout out... PT and Plastic are crap. PT is really toxic to use for trail user exposure. In Calif, new PT is called ACQ, lots of PT still used has arsenic in it and one sliver can result in amputation of a finger in a couple days. Took 11 years of thousands of amputations prior to doing something about it. Even though illegal to have exposed PT for building homes, it was commonly used for bridges etc... crazy.

Plastic, or Trex stuff is horrible. Grows mold like crazy, degrades with sunlight and is toxic if it burns.

We use local cedar due to its resistance to rot. Like redwood, it is brittle so you must utilize different span calcs. We also use lots of rock like photos I have provided.

There is a killer time lapse of a stone faced culvert bridge we built last week at our FB site Forest Trails Alliance | Facebook

Here are a couple concrete bridges we are working on

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P7291732.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	191.6 KB 
ID:	769411Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0340.JPG 
Views:	121 
Size:	246.8 KB 
ID:	769412
    Support TORBA
    Sunnyside Bike Park Working Group
    Albion Hills Conservation Area Master Plan Public Advisory Committee

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3