Building bridges

Printable View

  • 09-03-2012
    Bill in Houston
    i don't think that railroad trestles are built quite so sturdily. amazing work.
  • 09-03-2012
    hey_poolboy
    Never built bridges for mtb before, but after spending most of my life around horses I would say the best way to keep horses off the bridge is to space the slats far enough apart that you can see through them. Horses are not very likely to cross something they can see through w/o a significant amount of training.

    Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
  • 09-14-2012
    forrestvt
    Dang! Why dont u just pave those damned "trails"! What are you using a mtn bike for? Get my road bike out for those.....
  • 09-15-2012
    Trail Ninja
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by forrestvt View Post
    Dang! Why dont u just pave those damned "trails"! What are you using a mtn bike for? Get my road bike out for those.....

    Can we see pictures of the ones you built? Just so we know how to do it right?:D
  • 09-15-2012
    zrm
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by woodway View Post
    Just finished a bridge here in the PNW and we reclaimed downed cedar and axe split the decking boards. Traction is great dry or wet and cedar lasts a long time. I've used the rough sawn cedar as well, and will sometimes score it a bit more with a chainsaw for extra traction.

    https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-M.../WP_000084.jpg

    Why is that there? The trail doesn't look like it's particularly prone to poor drainage.
  • 09-15-2012
    Mr. Lynch
    That trail is a low flat swampy area 9 months out of the year. The spot the bridge is on is usually really thick mud at best and deep standing water at its worst. It is a poor draining area with no real slope to divert the water away.
  • 09-15-2012
    pascale27
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Mr. Lynch View Post
    That trail is a low flat swampy area 9 months out of the year. The spot the bridge is on is usually really thick mud at best and deep standing water at its worst. It is a poor draining area with no real slope to divert the water away.

    Looks great.
  • 09-15-2012
    woodway
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by zrm View Post
    Why is that there? The trail doesn't look like it's particularly prone to poor drainage.

    What Mr. Lynch said. Notice the same curved tree on the right side in both photos.

    https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-J.../WP_000153.jpg
  • 09-15-2012
    pascale27
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by woodway View Post
    What Mr. Lynch said. Notice the same curved tree on the right side in both photos.

    https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-J.../WP_000153.jpg

    The before shot makes the after shot even better. Great work.
  • 09-17-2012
    robbiexor
    I would enjoy riding the after shot in the before setting!
  • 09-17-2012
    Mr. Lynch
    In a few weeks it will be possible! It doesnt take much to flood out that spot.
  • 09-19-2012
    radair
    5 Attachment(s)
    We've built a fair number, from bog bridges (puncheons) up to 50' span steel stringers.
  • 09-20-2012
    leeboh
    Does that Harpoon IPA help with the build?
  • 01-15-2013
    woodway
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by robbiexor View Post
    I would enjoy riding the after shot in the before setting!

    You can do it right now! (thanks jalm111 for the photo)

    https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-w...130113_004.jpg
  • 01-15-2013
    Scarsandtears
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by woodway View Post
    You can do it right now! (thanks jalm111 for the photo)

    https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-w...130113_004.jpg


    Very, very cool!
  • 01-24-2013
    gcappy
    1 Attachment(s)
    I am going to turn my back yard into a short trail system this year. I have about 6 acres available. Mostly hard woods but there is a beaver dam a quarter mile from me that has backed up a low section of my land. There is a 150' section of water and marsh I have to cross. I t may be a couple feet deep in places. My plan is to set log pylons every 20 ' and cut trees for the stringers and deck. Does this make sense? I want to do this as inexpensively as possible. It will only be used for mnt. biking and dog walking.
    thanks
  • 01-27-2013
    danielcoyle
    Anyone have any resources that give a sense of how long different types of woods (harvested from the surrounding dead trees) used as stringers will last without protection (rocks underneath etc.)? Have used oak stringers and am loathe to go back and get rock under them as there is little good rock available and no good trail access for carting it in.
  • 01-27-2013
    danielcoyle
    Amazing bridge. Crazy really. Do you have resources you can share about how one is made? Do you create a template to lay it out on? Seems like it would be simple but a lot of hard work for that price.
  • 02-07-2013
    zachi
    2 Attachment(s)
    Awesome bridges!

    Just a shout out... PT and Plastic are crap. PT is really toxic to use for trail user exposure. In Calif, new PT is called ACQ, lots of PT still used has arsenic in it and one sliver can result in amputation of a finger in a couple days. Took 11 years of thousands of amputations prior to doing something about it. Even though illegal to have exposed PT for building homes, it was commonly used for bridges etc... crazy.

    Plastic, or Trex stuff is horrible. Grows mold like crazy, degrades with sunlight and is toxic if it burns.

    We use local cedar due to its resistance to rot. Like redwood, it is brittle so you must utilize different span calcs. We also use lots of rock like photos I have provided.

    There is a killer time lapse of a stone faced culvert bridge we built last week at our FB site Forest Trails Alliance | Facebook

    Here are a couple concrete bridges we are working on

    Attachment 769411Attachment 769412
  • 02-07-2013
    singlesprocket
    very cool, like those concrete bridges... gives me a few ideas...


    Quote:

    Originally Posted by zachi View Post
    Awesome bridges!

    Just a shout out... PT and Plastic are crap. PT is really toxic to use for trail user exposure. In Calif, new PT is called ACQ, lots of PT still used has arsenic in it and one sliver can result in amputation of a finger in a couple days. Took 11 years of thousands of amputations prior to doing something about it. Even though illegal to have exposed PT for building homes, it was commonly used for bridges etc... crazy.

    Plastic, or Trex stuff is horrible. Grows mold like crazy, degrades with sunlight and is toxic if it burns.

    We use local cedar due to its resistance to rot. Like redwood, it is brittle so you must utilize different span calcs. We also use lots of rock like photos I have provided.

    There is a killer time lapse of a stone faced culvert bridge we built last week at our FB site Forest Trails Alliance | Facebook

    Here are a couple concrete bridges we are working on

    Attachment 769411Attachment 769412