Thread: builders dream

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

builders dream

Yesterday I was riding my quad across the street from my house in a somewhat new construction site. I found a pile of loose soil that is about 40 feet high and 70 feet long. The dirt in that pile is perfeact for building Dj's. It packs so well and all I have to do Is shovel it into a trailer and bring it across the street to my house. Since their building houses there will be a awful lot of lumber. I already know I can take stuff from there because the guys that work there pretty much allow me to do anything I want to on the land plus I've taken stuff in front of them and they just asked if I needed any help.

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    You problem might be is the guys working there are probably not the property owner or the boss man contractor. Having spent a lot of years in the construction industry I can say most contractors and property owners get very paranoid about liability issues on job sites.

Keeping track of employees and subs and providing a safe site is difficult enough, having people who don't belong there shoveling fill dirt and rooting through the construction dumpster would be a no no on any of my job sites. My insurance company would go ape **** if they caught wind of something like that and insurance is a huge cost of doing business, it's one of the reasons i got out of the construction trades.

Not to say don't take advantage, but don't be surprised if you get shut down either.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    No when my family had our pool put in we neede a extra dirt, my da talked to the company owner said he would bring 4 loads of dirt over to our house for free. He also said if we neede any more to just go over a get it. The guy is pretty cool.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Usually a big pile of dirt on a construction site means that they are trying to get rid of the dirt so the contractor would gladly give it away so he can lower costs of transporting it. Liability for the owner would be a great concern--if you get hurt on his property and end up in court you could cost the owner/contractor much needed profit. Just try asking the actual owner/contractor before you waste a bunch of your time building something that will be destroyed in minutes without permission.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by dmgrapid
    Usually a big pile of dirt on a construction site means that they are trying to get rid of the dirt so the contractor would gladly give it away so he can lower costs of transporting it. Liability for the owner would be a great concern--if you get hurt on his property and end up in court you could cost the owner/contractor much needed profit. Just try asking the actual owner/contractor before you waste a bunch of your time building something that will be destroyed in minutes without permission.
    I just found out today that the company ran out of money for that project. I heard a rumor that they were going to just keep the land and not do anything with it, I have no idea why.