Results 1 to 74 of 74

Thread: Build season

  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: pascale27's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    486

    Build season

    This my really my favorite time of the year. The leaves are all down and there's less trail traffic because of the colder temps here in nj. This is also when we like to do our building (before the ground freezes). Just started a few minor projects and am excited about 2 extensions we'll be adding to existing trails. Just getting pumped to cut some trail.
    Salsa Timberjack 27+
    Misfit diSSent 1x10
    Niner Jet 9

  2. #2
    saddlemeat
    Reputation: bsieb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    3,295
    I agree, I always get the trail building urge when that autumn nip hits the air. Got a new 14 mile trail to tread in, working name is Big View, hope to have it rideable by summer. Too much snow cover right now tho, so it's xc ski and snowshoe til spring melt.
    I ride with the best people.




  3. #3
    Ride da mOOn Moderator
    Reputation: NEPMTBA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    8,226
    At least here in the North East...No bugs, gnats, skeeters, bees, pollen, snakes, leaves on trees, among other attention getters.

    So, much easier to see flow before the build.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: boostin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    905
    yup, this is the good time to be out throwing dirt for us. The ground is saturated with moisture and it sticks and packs like a boss. We extended some berms and added some kickers to the local trails yesterday!

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: HypNoTic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    322
    Around here, winter season (mid-november/mid-april) restrict trailbuilding to "GIS analysis" because of the pretty intense snow cover. We got 5ft just in the last week...
    I build trails for moose & beaver
    PTBA member

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: pascale27's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    486
    We rarely get significant snow in south jersey anymore so it's prime time to add or fix trails
    Salsa Timberjack 27+
    Misfit diSSent 1x10
    Niner Jet 9

  7. #7
    The White Jeff W
    Reputation: jeffw-13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    5,370
    Just finished flagging 1.6 miles of new singletrack yesterday. I think ill call it 'red baloon' because I keep seeing this up there

    Build season-uploadfromtaptalk1356364308541.jpg
    No moss...

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    241
    Here in the "sunny south", deer season ends January 1, I hope to get back to working on my trail. I lease to deer hunters so in hunting season, I leave the woods to them. So many deer/car collisions, it doesn't hurt to thin them out, plus it leaves more food for the other deer.
    ANYWAY, I hope to get my trail raked, marked and ready to ride. Cold doesn't bother me that much, of course my "cold" doesn't compare to the "cold" some of you have to put up with. But after watching Coast Guard Alaska and watching my fellow Coasties surf and spearfish in Alaska, what's a little cold on a bike?

  9. #9
    Terrain Sculptor
    Reputation: Trail Ninja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    4,686
    The ground is good and frozen here in Eastern Ontario & I haven't been able to build for over a year due to medical reasons. (I had to look out the window to see where I was when I woke up this morning.) In a couple of weeks I'll be back out on Vancouver Island where you can't tell the seasons apart & I'm pretty sure I'm in good enough shape to start building again. The trails I built for the middle school bike club are being logged at this moment so there should be lots of clean-up to do. I should be able to build some new features as well. The kids will get a whole new set of trails and I'll have lots to do.

    I think I'm going to have a pretty good year.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail Ninja's Son
    You may be happy to hear that my dad has kicked cancer's ass. Now he's looking for whoever sent it.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: OscarW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    1,688
    Down here we may be able to ride year 'round, but building in the summer heat is about a 4 hour deal as it is too hot in July/August/Sept timeframe, and not much gets done except the bare minimum repair. We are now cooling off and will get, and have already, major projects done. We just finished a 150 ton fill job on a re-route of a major trail. This Jan we will tweak the project with one more 'dozer rental and staging of fill in various spots.

    Our main problem is the tropical rain that erode the trails in a big way and we have to buy double crushed lime rock to repair the damage. Fortunately this stuff lasts a very long time. We are now also using pavers in the big wear area's as well to keep from having to come back. Fortunately the races we organize pay for all this material and tools we use.

    This season looks like we will have more volunteers too, as people are now seeing what has been achieved by just 2-3 people over the past 3 months.. Maybe we shamed a few riders into paying back with some effort, in what is a free trail system.
    Current ride(s) 2011 Santa Cruz Blur LT and a Norco Threshold SL with Di2

  11. #11
    XXIX
    Reputation: GatorB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    457
    Bam!





    I got one of these for Christmas and Im itching to use it.
    14' Vassago VerHauen
    [URL="https://m.facebook.com/pages/Spruce-Creek-Mtb-Trail/572082766223954"]

  12. #12
    The White Jeff W
    Reputation: jeffw-13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    5,370
    Nice! I got 5 rolls of pink flagging tape!
    No moss...

  13. #13
    saddlemeat
    Reputation: bsieb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    3,295
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffw-13 View Post
    Just finished flagging 1.6 miles of new singletrack yesterday. I think ill call it 'red baloon' because I keep seeing this up there

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1356364308541.jpg 
Views:	697 
Size:	93.6 KB 
ID:	747683
    We have a new trail called Flight Of The Fawn, sometimes they name themselves!
    I ride with the best people.




  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: OscarW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    1,688

    ... and if we just ...

    ^ Yes thy do..We have a trail called Iguana Ridge as a huge Iguana scared the cr^p out of one of the trail crew..
    The name instantly stuck and a sign is in production..
    Current ride(s) 2011 Santa Cruz Blur LT and a Norco Threshold SL with Di2

  15. #15
    Hermit
    Reputation: swampboy62's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    942
    Too much snow in NE Ohio to actually build right now. But we were out flagging the first rough line of the first trail of the new mtb trail system at Lake Milton State Park. We'll be back out next weekend and likely have most of phase 1 roughed in.

    May start cutting corridor soon. Can't do a lot more with 10" on the ground.

    Steve Z
    Pedaling when it's dry
    And paddling when it's wet

    My insignificant blog:
    http://swampboy62.blogspot.com/

  16. #16
    I <3 Dirt
    Reputation: mealsonwheels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    724
    The wife got me a rogue hoe for Christmas too. Lots of rain recently where I am and my 7" hoe was cutting the DG like butter. Perfect trail building conditions in SoCal.

  17. #17
    boxcar
    Reputation: mtn.skratch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    564
    Quote Originally Posted by mealsonwheels View Post
    The wife got me a rogue hoe for Christmas too. Lots of rain recently where I am and my 7" hoe was cutting the DG like butter. Perfect trail building conditions in SoCal.
    haha! I got a rogue hoe too from my gal for Christmas. My buds come up to help build and the Rogue hoe always gets snagged up She bought me another so I always have one to use.

    Build season in full force right now, I agree. Ground is a little hard, but unstable("frozen" dirt breaks apart easily), so with the Rogue hoe and a pick maddox it's pretty easy to break up and form. The 5-6" of snow is adding some good moisture to drought ridden Colorado Front Range dirt. I like the way the snow mixes in with the dirt. A lot of tree work with my 290 too. Probably in my head, but I feel like Stihl runs better when it's cooler out. Gettin' beetle kill on the ground and limbed. Most logs get used for berms, trannies, or lips and the rest is bucked up for burnin'. Speakin' of all this, I'm out to cut and dig

    Happy buildin' in the New Year folks!

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: OscarW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    1,688
    Quote Originally Posted by mtn.skratch View Post
    haha! I got a rogue hoe too from my gal for Christmas. My buds come up to help build and the Rogue hoe always gets snagged up She bought me another so I always have one to use.

    Build season in full force right now, I agree. Ground is a little hard, but unstable("frozen" dirt breaks apart easily), so with the Rogue hoe and a pick maddox it's pretty easy to break up and form. The 5-6" of snow is adding some good moisture to drought ridden Colorado Front Range dirt. I like the way the snow mixes in with the dirt. A lot of tree work with my 290 too. Probably in my head, but I feel like Stihl runs better when it's cooler out. Gettin' beetle kill on the ground and limbed. Most logs get used for berms, trannies, or lips and the rest is bucked up for burnin'. Speakin' of all this, I'm out to cut and dig

    Happy buildin' in the New Year folks!
    Happy trail building to you!!

    Sounds you're getting some work done and you're right on the Stihl running better in the cooler weather. My saws did a lot of work in Northern Illinois before moving down here and they aren't too happy in the heat...
    Current ride(s) 2011 Santa Cruz Blur LT and a Norco Threshold SL with Di2

  19. #19
    Unpredictable
    Reputation: Ridnparadise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    2,105
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffw-13 View Post
    Nice! I got 5 rolls of pink flagging tape!
    Secret Santa or stingy family?

  20. #20
    Unpredictable
    Reputation: Ridnparadise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    2,105
    Summer here. Normally this would be a wet time of year, but so far it remains pretty dry. Shame, as water makes building far easier apart from the nappy (diaper) rash and I'd also like to avoid trail digger's lung. We can cope with the heat, but Dust = Bad. Oh well, it just makes you put more effort into line and grade selection, plus the amount of stone you add to the tread.

    Heres's some pics from this week including new trail work, test riding, a Witjuti Grub being released into the wild, saved dirt, a small ant checking out our work and the reason for it all.

    Happy New Year.

    http://forums.mtbr.com/attachment.ph...1&d=1357028334

    http://forums.mtbr.com/attachment.ph...1&d=1357028446

    http://forums.mtbr.com/attachment.ph...1&d=1357028498

    http://forums.mtbr.com/attachment.ph...1&d=1357028563

    http://forums.mtbr.com/attachment.ph...1&d=1357028655

    http://forums.mtbr.com/attachment.ph...1&d=1357028699

    http://forums.mtbr.com/attachment.ph...1&d=1357028764

    http://forums.mtbr.com/attachment.ph...1&d=1357028816
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Build season-p1090892.jpg  

    Build season-p1090858.jpg  

    Build season-p1090813.jpg  

    Build season-p1090871.jpg  

    Build season-p1090851.jpg  

    Build season-p1090853.jpg  

    Build season-p1090708.jpg  

    Build season-p1090876-1.jpg  


  21. #21
    Terrain Sculptor
    Reputation: Trail Ninja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    4,686
    What's going on in picture #2? Is that just a temporary blockage for construction?

    I might just have to get myself a little sailboat and come riding.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail Ninja's Son
    You may be happy to hear that my dad has kicked cancer's ass. Now he's looking for whoever sent it.

  22. #22
    Unpredictable
    Reputation: Ridnparadise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    2,105
    The majority of that trail is complete and we are just trying to discourage use until we close a section of the trail it replaces, add a new connecting section of trail between the two and then complete the last bit on either end of the new trail. Both ends have logs and other debris added for now. Looks crappy and prevents us riding it as well, but the trail is already too popular and too obvious.

  23. #23
    Terrain Sculptor
    Reputation: Trail Ninja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    4,686
    I always build the kid's trails that way, no entrance or exit. In the BC forest that means no one has a clue that the trail is there until I open it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail Ninja's Son
    You may be happy to hear that my dad has kicked cancer's ass. Now he's looking for whoever sent it.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mack_turtle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    6,232
    spent most of the day yesterday improving some un-used singletrack in a nearby park. I am getting over a cold, so I didn't want to go riding just yet. dang that is some back-breaking work!



    I need to get one of those hardcore shovel/rake things, because my rigid rake is not cutting it!

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation: pascale27's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    486
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail Ninja View Post
    I always build the kid's trails that way, no entrance or exit. In the BC forest that means no one has a clue that the trail is there until I open it.
    exactly, people are like how did you guys build that whole trail in 1 day not realizing that we only the "ends" when everything else is finished
    Salsa Timberjack 27+
    Misfit diSSent 1x10
    Niner Jet 9

  26. #26
    Terrain Sculptor
    Reputation: Trail Ninja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    4,686
    It's how I got my nickname. The kids would go riding one day and find a brand new trail that wasn't there the day before. One of them said "It must be Ninjas building these trails"
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail Ninja's Son
    You may be happy to hear that my dad has kicked cancer's ass. Now he's looking for whoever sent it.

  27. #27
    Unpredictable
    Reputation: Ridnparadise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    2,105
    Everywhere needs a trail ninja

    http://forums.mtbr.com/attachment.ph...1&d=1357109078
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Build season-p1090703.jpg  

    Build season-p1090704.jpg  


  28. #28
    WillWorkForTrail
    Reputation: Cotharyus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    3,359
    Man, I almost asked this yesterday, but I'm going to today. What's that red thing? Looks like some sort of psychotic fire ant from hell.

  29. #29
    Terrain Sculptor
    Reputation: Trail Ninja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    4,686
    Yeah, how big is that thing? The biggest ant we have here is maybe 3/4" long.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail Ninja's Son
    You may be happy to hear that my dad has kicked cancer's ass. Now he's looking for whoever sent it.

  30. #30
    Unpredictable
    Reputation: Ridnparadise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    2,105
    He's about 25cm (10 inches)

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation: OscarW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    1,688
    Cool!! I need a few for our trails to scare a few peeps..
    Current ride(s) 2011 Santa Cruz Blur LT and a Norco Threshold SL with Di2

  32. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation: boostin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    905
    Quote Originally Posted by Ridnparadise View Post
    He's about 25cm (10 inches)
    Dude, I bet it hurts when they bite!

  33. #33
    boxcar
    Reputation: mtn.skratch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    564
    Quote Originally Posted by OscarW View Post
    Happy trail building to you!!

    Sounds you're getting some work done and you're right on the Stihl running better in the cooler weather. My saws did a lot of work in Northern Illinois before moving down here and they aren't too happy in the heat...
    Yeah, I've learned that trail building is addictive, especially with free reign so the work goes easy and thanks for validating my thoughts with the chainsaw

  34. #34
    Unpredictable
    Reputation: Ridnparadise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    2,105
    I know Australia has a reputation for nasty crawlies, but he's made of metal guys

    However, 10m from him I was bitten by a 2cm red ant and my arm swelled up for a week. That's why he's there - to scare the s#!^ out of the mongrel that bit me!

  35. #35
    WillWorkForTrail
    Reputation: Cotharyus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    3,359
    Quote Originally Posted by Ridnparadise View Post
    I know Australia has a reputation for nasty crawlies, but he's made of metal guys

    However, 10m from him I was bitten by a 2cm red ant and my arm swelled up for a week. That's why he's there - to scare the s#!^ out of the mongrel that bit me!
    Now that's funny!

  36. #36
    Terrain Sculptor
    Reputation: Trail Ninja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    4,686
    Quote Originally Posted by Ridnparadise View Post
    I know Australia has a reputation for nasty crawlies, but he's made of metal guys

    However, 10m from him I was bitten by a 2cm red ant and my arm swelled up for a week. That's why he's there - to scare the s#!^ out of the mongrel that bit me!
    Bravo!

    We were thoroughly taken.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail Ninja's Son
    You may be happy to hear that my dad has kicked cancer's ass. Now he's looking for whoever sent it.

  37. #37
    boxcar
    Reputation: mtn.skratch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    564
    Here are a few pics of the work I am doing. The last is a pic of one of the critters that hangs out in our trees, not metal, but still keeps ya' on your toes

    Happy diggin' folks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Build season-img_2703sm.jpg  

    Build season-img_2713sm.jpg  

    Build season-home-sweet-home-australia-2012-394sm.jpg  

    Build season-mt-lion-2012-1.jpg  

    Last edited by mtn.skratch; 01-04-2013 at 08:14 AM. Reason: to correct grammar

  38. #38
    mtbr member
    Reputation: OscarW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    1,688
    ^ Soft kitty, warm kitty Little ball of fur. Happy kitty, sleepy kitty Purr purr purr...
    Current ride(s) 2011 Santa Cruz Blur LT and a Norco Threshold SL with Di2

  39. #39
    WillWorkForTrail
    Reputation: Cotharyus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    3,359
    All you have to do is call them: Here kitty kitty kitty.... You know you're safe then, because no cat ever comes when it's called.

  40. #40
    Single Speed Junkie
    Reputation: crux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,108
    That is a big kitty.

  41. #41
    mtbr member
    Reputation: OscarW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    1,688
    Kiity looks positively pissed off.....
    Current ride(s) 2011 Santa Cruz Blur LT and a Norco Threshold SL with Di2

  42. #42
    boxcar
    Reputation: mtn.skratch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    564
    Quote Originally Posted by OscarW View Post
    Kiity looks positively pissed off.....
    haha! It was! Our husky treed it. The cat looks full too or else it may have been a different story...

  43. #43
    boxcar
    Reputation: mtn.skratch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    564
    Here's a few more pics( it's 6 degrees so I'm not building today)

    The first shows the little rock gap from the top into the left bermed sweeper.

    The second better shows the log transition. They are braced into the rocks on the far end and the long log that is closer, which is wedged between two large rocks on either end. All the logs are all rebar'd in and now a fixture of the mountainside.

    The last is a steepish, kinda rocky switchback that I scraped in before the snow...rides okay currently but want to try and make it flow a little more while retaining the technical feel, not really sure what to change. May log in the outside edge of the corner with small diameter logs to provide something to push against while cornering...

    Hope y'all are gettin' some good buildin' in!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Build season-gopr1486sm.jpg  

    Build season-img_2699sm.jpg  

    Build season-otter-rd-bungalo-2012-257sm.jpg  


  44. #44
    mtbr member
    Reputation: OscarW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    1,688
    Dang Dude, good for your dog on the kitty issue...
    Looks like you're doing a great job on your trail there, although 6 degrees is a bit on the cool side to do any work...
    As for us, we are adding a 1/4 mile of trail using a Toro Dingo and it is working well so far as it is our first time using one.
    I must say that 82 F is way too fricking hot this time of the year for us too btw..
    Current ride(s) 2011 Santa Cruz Blur LT and a Norco Threshold SL with Di2

  45. #45
    boxcar
    Reputation: mtn.skratch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    564
    Quote Originally Posted by OscarW View Post
    Dang Dude, good for your dog on the kitty issue...
    Looks like you're doing a great job on your trail there, although 6 degrees is a bit on the cool side to do any work...
    As for us, we are adding a 1/4 mile of trail using a Toro Dingo and it is working well so far as it is our first time using one.
    I must say that 82 F is way too fricking hot this time of the year for us too btw..
    Thanks Oscar

    I've never used a Toro Dingo either, you have any pics of the trail addition/build process?

  46. #46
    mtbr member
    Reputation: OscarW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    1,688
    Quote Originally Posted by mtn.skratch View Post
    Thanks Oscar

    I've never used a Toro Dingo either, you have any pics of the trail addition/build process?
    Yes we have pics on our FB page as we had a massive turnout yesterday!
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

    Just click on the album and you'll see more of what we have build and how we do it. In Florida we have to build our own hills and so we need tons of fill. Last year we added 500 tons of lime rock to the trails and this year we expect to get 700 tons going, IF all the races bring us the $$ we need to do this.
    Current ride(s) 2011 Santa Cruz Blur LT and a Norco Threshold SL with Di2

  47. #47
    boxcar
    Reputation: mtn.skratch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    564
    Quote Originally Posted by OscarW View Post
    Yes we have pics on our FB page as we had a massive turnout yesterday!
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

    Just click on the album and you'll see more of what we have build and how we do it. In Florida we have to build our own hills and so we need tons of fill. Last year we added 500 tons of lime rock to the trails and this year we expect to get 700 tons going, IF all the races bring us the $$ we need to do this.
    Very Cool Oscar! Looks like a rad area! That's a lot to move around, good thing ya got the Dingo, that thing looks like it get's it done

    Your trails look fun, well constructed and flowy, and with some jump areas

    Is that area the TOE or like it?

  48. #48
    mtbr member
    Reputation: OscarW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    1,688
    TOE?? Sorry don't know that abbreviation.
    Current ride(s) 2011 Santa Cruz Blur LT and a Norco Threshold SL with Di2

  49. #49
    boxcar
    Reputation: mtn.skratch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    564
    I may have the name wrong. A buddy of mine grew up riding in Florida. He was always talking about a riding area they frequented called the TOE. I guess it's an acronym for Trail Of Experience. Your pics reminded of me of the pics he showed me.

    At any rate, you guys have some good things goin' on there

  50. #50
    mtbr member
    Reputation: OscarW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    1,688
    Thanks!!
    Current ride(s) 2011 Santa Cruz Blur LT and a Norco Threshold SL with Di2

  51. #51
    boxcar
    Reputation: mtn.skratch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    564
    Cold snap let up last week, so went from single digits last weekend to 40F-50F this weekend, and got out for a bit...

    When we bought this property, there was a lot of leftover landscaping/building material here, so we use it wherever we can, especially in the trails. Landscaping stone and brick, rebar...all has come in handy for drainages, reinforcement...

    This past Saturday my brother, gf, and me shaped this corner headin' into a traverse. Took most the afternoon as it is deceivingly rocky. Some spots we can put in a 150-200' section of trail and this maybe 40' section took the same amount of time
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Build season-1-19-2013-1.jpg  

    Build season-matt-1-19-2013-1sm.jpg  

    Build season-1-19-2013-1-2sm.jpg  

    Last edited by mtn.skratch; 01-23-2013 at 06:21 AM. Reason: added photo

  52. #52
    boxcar
    Reputation: mtn.skratch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    564
    Couldn't get this photo to upload with the others....using the bricks to help guide the drainage across the trail. Don't know if it is the best method, but water flows here with enough rain or snow melt when we have it so trying to limit it to a smaller section of trail.

    Anyone else got some pics of some of the work you're gettin' done this build season?!
    Post em up!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Build season-1-19-2013-1-2sm.jpg  


  53. #53
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    335

    Idea!

    Water bars? Rebar? Bricks? Piling up dirt on the critical edge? You may want to sign up for a trail building class; there are lots of things you could do better.

    Instead of building water bars you really should be putting in rolling dips. They hold up better, are easier to build, look better, and are more fun to ride.

    Rebar should be used sparingly, if ever, since it becomes a hazard as whatever it was pinned thru breaks down over the years.

    Bricks are not a part of the environment and look out of place. Chances are you can find some decent rock around somewhere rather than hauling in bricks.

    Piling up dirt on the critical (downhill) edge invites rutting. It creates a natural dam that will keep water on the trail. Disperse the dirt far down the hill. For a really clean edge get in the habit of piling dirt in the middle of the tread and then shoveling it far down the hill. You will get a much cleaner looking trail.

    I like your enthusiasm, but with a bit of research I think you can vastly improve the quality of your work. At the very least start with the IMBA Book - Trail Solutions | International Mountain Bicycling Association

  54. #54
    boxcar
    Reputation: mtn.skratch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    564
    Quote Originally Posted by BonkedAgain View Post
    Water bars? Rebar? Bricks? Piling up dirt on the critical edge? You may want to sign up for a trail building class; there are lots of things you could do better.

    Instead of building water bars you really should be putting in rolling dips. They hold up better, are easier to build, look better, and are more fun to ride.

    Rebar should be used sparingly, if ever, since it becomes a hazard as whatever it was pinned thru breaks down over the years.

    Bricks are not a part of the environment and look out of place. Chances are you can find some decent rock around somewhere rather than hauling in bricks.

    Piling up dirt on the critical (downhill) edge invites rutting. It creates a natural dam that will keep water on the trail. Disperse the dirt far down the hill. For a really clean edge get in the habit of piling dirt in the middle of the tread and then shoveling it far down the hill. You will get a much cleaner looking trail.

    I like your enthusiasm, but with a bit of research I think you can vastly improve the quality of your work. At the very least start with the IMBA Book - Trail Solutions | International Mountain Bicycling Association
    Thanks for the input and advice! Sorry if saying we used bricks for drainage and showing that picture was misleading. I also apologize if I implied this was finished trail. I am just showing what we are getting done with our trails in between bad weather spouts. As you have noted, I am not a professional trail builder Just a dude with some property, a couple rogue hoes, and a bike.

    You can see the main drainage from that section of trail is the flat rock below the bricks in the first pic two posts ago. When we have water flow it will drain in an approx. 6-8" channel in front of that rock which was there naturally. The line got formed over it because it had apparently been in place for some time. The bricks are about 2' above and 12' in front of it so am confident the steepness and the natural drainage will be good.

    The bricks are a base for a small drop out of the corner that will be built up with dirt, natural rock and cut log. I think we will use up the supply of leftover landscaping material because it is here, and in our opinion, a good way to re-use stuff that we "inherited."

    This is private property(that welcomes guests) and previous owners had it riddled with steel fence posts, various markers and basically tons of garbage. I am curious to know the time frame and negative effects of using steel bars for staking in logs and brick. This place was built in 1973 and I can tell that whatever the original folks drove the stakes into, that I've pulled out, was solid to say the least.

    I am not familiar with the term "critical edge." I like it though and don't wanna screw it up We built a trail on the other side of the property the same way and it's great. Holding the original benchcut after a lot of riding and inclement weather. I am going to look into that though to make sure we're gettin' the most bang for our buck for the long haul.

    Again, thanks for your advice. Duly noted and appreciated

  55. #55
    Delirious Tuck
    Reputation: thefriar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    2,436
    I used rebar 5 years ago on some steps for a foot only trail, the wood didn't do so well in the freeze thaw cycle and humidity of New England and I either have to pull it or keep driving it in... dangerous if we miss a pull/drive event.

  56. #56
    boxcar
    Reputation: mtn.skratch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    564
    Quote Originally Posted by thefriar View Post
    I used rebar 5 years ago on some steps for a foot only trail, the wood didn't do so well in the freeze thaw cycle and humidity of New England and I either have to pull it or keep driving it in... dangerous if we miss a pull/drive event.
    I haven't noticed any rebar getting higher in the ground around here I haven't sunk any into wood though, mostly just on the downhill side of rocks and logs to keep them from following gravity. The ground where I am is what I would refer to as unstable and from what I've noticed as a novice/hobbyist trailbuilder the rebar has actually stabilized the ground around them, getting firmer and more "set" with time and weather cycles.

    I'm lookin' at my trails very often, multiple times a week, anxious to do maintenance, add-on, improve, change lines....

    I would have to imagine any trail or section of trail will need maintenance yearly if not more so personally I would expect to perform different measures of maint. over a 5 year span no matter what materials and guidelines were being used/followed. I don't hike my trails(they are for downhill bike traffic only) and actually ask people to not hike up the steep sections of trail here. I can hike up a trail once and see more disruption in the dirt from my boots than dozens of runs down the same section of trail on my bike.

    Good luck with your trail!

    Post some pics of your work!

  57. #57
    boxcar
    Reputation: mtn.skratch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    564
    Trying to utilize some good advice I got from Trail Ninja and Bonked Again...

    The dirt that was piled up along the critical edge I pulled back onto the trail and tried to build up some rolling grade dips or maybe these are more like little rollers....at any rate, it's good use of the dirt. I was surprised how much dirt I actually had sittin' there doin' nothing
    The trails look better without the dirt piled up there, feel more "open" when riding while maintaining the same width, and are certainly more sustainable.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Build season-mt.lion1.jpg  

    Build season-mt.lion2.jpg  

    Build season-mt.lion3.jpg  


  58. #58
    Terrain Sculptor
    Reputation: Trail Ninja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    4,686
    Two questions. How do you like the ride now?
    Is that a jump/gap in the last picture?
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail Ninja's Son
    You may be happy to hear that my dad has kicked cancer's ass. Now he's looking for whoever sent it.

  59. #59
    boxcar
    Reputation: mtn.skratch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    564
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail Ninja View Post
    Two questions. How do you like the ride now?
    Is that a jump/gap in the last picture?
    The ride now is better and I like it more.

    The third picture is just a little "popper" jump into the corner. My original line went around this large, protruding rock and as it got ridden, figured could build it up for a little jump...
    It's fairly linear to the top of the tranny and 9' out so you sets you real well into the outside edge of the corner, then just as you come out of the g-out from the landing/right hander you can unweight/manual over the first roller(2nd pic, wish the pic showed it better) into the left 90, short straight, left 90 into the first pic, then that goes into the little rock gap/step down from previous posts....

    It flows so well now

  60. #60
    Terrain Sculptor
    Reputation: Trail Ninja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    4,686
    Quote Originally Posted by mtn.skratch View Post
    The ride now is better and I like it more.

    The third picture is just a little "popper" jump into the corner. My original line went around this large, protruding rock and as it got ridden, figured could build it up for a little jump...
    It's fairly linear to the top of the tranny and 9' out so you sets you real well into the outside edge of the corner, then just as you come out of the g-out from the landing/right hander you can unweight/manual over the first roller(2nd pic, wish the pic showed it better) into the left 90, short straight, left 90 into the first pic, then that goes into the little rock gap/step down from previous posts....

    It flows so well now
    Looks great, glad I could help.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail Ninja's Son
    You may be happy to hear that my dad has kicked cancer's ass. Now he's looking for whoever sent it.

  61. #61
    Rider, Builder, Dreamer
    Reputation: sambs827's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    1,177
    I need to got off my A$$ and go dig. Haven't gotten out for any real digging in almost 4 weeks.

    This weekend is a trip to Ray's in CLE, then a week off of classes. Hopefully I'll be able to get some good digging and mapping done then.
    Go ride your bike.

  62. #62
    Terrain Sculptor
    Reputation: Trail Ninja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    4,686
    Just killing time while waiting for them to finish logging so I can get to work fixing the damage. This is a reroute around a "rake & ride" that someone (I know who) put through a swampy area.

    Build season-2013-01-21-12.23.58.jpg

    Build season-2013-01-21-12.25.08.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail Ninja's Son
    You may be happy to hear that my dad has kicked cancer's ass. Now he's looking for whoever sent it.

  63. #63
    Terrain Sculptor
    Reputation: Trail Ninja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    4,686
    Oh, a before & after of the logging.


    Build season-2013-01-20-10.56.56.jpg


    Build season-2013-01-20-10.11.45.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail Ninja's Son
    You may be happy to hear that my dad has kicked cancer's ass. Now he's looking for whoever sent it.

  64. #64
    mtbr member
    Reputation: OscarW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    1,688
    OMG! R U sure it was logging and not WW III???
    Current ride(s) 2011 Santa Cruz Blur LT and a Norco Threshold SL with Di2

  65. #65
    Terrain Sculptor
    Reputation: Trail Ninja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    4,686
    Quote Originally Posted by OscarW View Post
    OMG! R U sure it was logging and not WW III???
    Positive.

    Build season-hpim1001.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail Ninja's Son
    You may be happy to hear that my dad has kicked cancer's ass. Now he's looking for whoever sent it.

  66. #66
    mtbr member
    Reputation: OscarW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    1,688
    I was sure of it too, but it looked pretty bad even though I have seen it for myself in Idaho and BC.. I hope you can rebuild the trails again soon.
    Current ride(s) 2011 Santa Cruz Blur LT and a Norco Threshold SL with Di2

  67. #67
    mtbr member
    Reputation: DABIGSEAT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    154
    Quote Originally Posted by pascale27 View Post
    This my really my favorite time of the year. The leaves are all down and there's less trail traffic because of the colder temps here in nj. This is also when we like to do our building (before the ground freezes). Just started a few minor projects and am excited about 2 extensions we'll be adding to existing trails. Just getting pumped to cut some trail.
    hey pascale27 if you don't mind me asking where are you riding in nj I too am riding (just starting back out but) in jersey im in the central jersey (cheesequake) area

  68. #68
    The White Jeff W
    Reputation: jeffw-13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    5,370
    I've got a 1.5 mile loop flagged in and started some clearing. Slowly chipping away at it as weather & schedule allow. Bought a 18" chainsaw yesterday to expedite things Not the best but after 1 day of use Im very happy with it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Build season-20130211_104831.jpg  

    No moss...

  69. #69
    boxcar
    Reputation: mtn.skratch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    564
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail Ninja View Post
    Oh, a before & after of the logging.


    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2013-01-20 10.56.56.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	375.2 KB 
ID:	770831


    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2013-01-20 10.11.45.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	325.0 KB 
ID:	770830
    Wow, so are you going to rebuild the original trail as much as possible or will the re-route replace the original? How long does it take for the loggers to get through an area like that?

    That re-route looks nice!

    That dirt looks awesome too.

  70. #70
    Terrain Sculptor
    Reputation: Trail Ninja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    4,686
    The reroute I've been working on is a new trail that was hastily built when we heard they were going to log. those trails are for the local middle school bike club and as you can see, they have lost a lot of their network. The pink area is what they logged. It took them just 3 weeks. there is about 15 miles of trail in the pink area. The rest had already been logged so now the entire thing is clearcut. The red lines are logging roads and the green are trails I built.
    I'll have to take a good look & decide if I want to follow old routes or build new. It's a unique opportunity.

    Build season-qbmsmaplogging.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail Ninja's Son
    You may be happy to hear that my dad has kicked cancer's ass. Now he's looking for whoever sent it.

  71. #71
    memento mori
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    370
    Trail Ninja,feel you logging pain. We've got about 2 miles of trail to rebuild due to logging. Not clear cut but a extensive thinning. The trails run thru a tree farm so it was inevitable. The land managers are great to work with so when the snow melts it's go time. It does make for a unique opportunity to rebuild.

  72. #72
    The White Jeff W
    Reputation: jeffw-13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    5,370
    A couple years ago the county let a logging company come in and log several acres of our local park. We were upset at first but rebuilt everything better than it was and even got a new parking lot out of it.
    No moss...

  73. #73
    mtbr member
    Reputation: pascale27's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    486
    Quote Originally Posted by DABIGSEAT View Post
    hey pascale27 if you don't mind me asking where are you riding in nj I too am riding (just starting back out but) in jersey im in the central jersey (cheesequake) area

    South Jersey....Ceres, CCC, Wiss, White Clay
    Salsa Timberjack 27+
    Misfit diSSent 1x10
    Niner Jet 9

  74. #74
    boxcar
    Reputation: mtn.skratch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    564
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail Ninja View Post
    The reroute I've been working on is a new trail that was hastily built when we heard they were going to log. those trails are for the local middle school bike club and as you can see, they have lost a lot of their network. The pink area is what they logged. It took them just 3 weeks. there is about 15 miles of trail in the pink area. The rest had already been logged so now the entire thing is clearcut. The red lines are logging roads and the green are trails I built.
    I'll have to take a good look & decide if I want to follow old routes or build new. It's a unique opportunity.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	qbmsmaplogging.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	98.7 KB 
ID:	771657
    That's a lot of trail to get wiped out, sorry to hear this for the kids and for you. I guess the upside is that you do now have a clean canvas, however seein' as how you built the trails in the first place, they were probably already exactly what you wanted. I suppose it's hard to find the upside with this one. I'm stoked to hear what you decide to do as far as building new vs. re-building the old routes.

    Good on ya' Trail Ninja, those are some lucky kids

Members who have read this thread: 2

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •