Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Build season

mtbr member

Build season

This my really my favorite time of the year. The leaves are all down and there's less trail traffic because of the colder temps here in nj. This is also when we like to do our building (before the ground freezes). Just started a few minor projects and am excited about 2 extensions we'll be adding to existing trails. Just getting pumped to cut some trail.
    Misfit diSSent 1x10
    Jet 9

saddlemeat
    I agree, I always get the trail building urge when that autumn nip hits the air. Got a new 14 mile trail to tread in, working name is Big View, hope to have it rideable by summer. Too much snow cover right now tho, so it's xc ski and snowshoe til spring melt.
    A Useful Bear is a handy thing.

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    At least here in the North East...No bugs, gnats, skeeters, bees, pollen, snakes, leaves on trees, among other attention getters.

So, much easier to see flow before the build.

mtbr member
    yup, this is the good time to be out throwing dirt for us. The ground is saturated with moisture and it sticks and packs like a boss. We extended some berms and added some kickers to the local trails yesterday!

mtbr member
    Around here, winter season (mid-november/mid-april) restrict trailbuilding to "GIS analysis" because of the pretty intense snow cover. We got 5ft just in the last week...
    A trailbuilder from the north

mtbr member
    We rarely get significant snow in south jersey anymore so it's prime time to add or fix trails
    Misfit diSSent 1x10
    Jet 9

The White Jeff W
    Just finished flagging 1.6 miles of new singletrack yesterday. I think ill call it 'red baloon' because I keep seeing this up there

Build season-uploadfromtaptalk1356364308541.jpg
    No moss...

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Here in the "sunny south", deer season ends January 1, I hope to get back to working on my trail. I lease to deer hunters so in hunting season, I leave the woods to them. So many deer/car collisions, it doesn't hurt to thin them out, plus it leaves more food for the other deer.
    ANYWAY, I hope to get my trail raked, marked and ready to ride. Cold doesn't bother me that much, of course my "cold" doesn't compare to the "cold" some of you have to put up with. But after watching Coast Guard Alaska and watching my fellow Coasties surf and spearfish in Alaska, what's a little cold on a bike?

I build my own.
    The ground is good and frozen here in Eastern Ontario & I haven't been able to build for over a year due to medical reasons. (I had to look out the window to see where I was when I woke up this morning.) In a couple of weeks I'll be back out on Vancouver Island where you can't tell the seasons apart & I'm pretty sure I'm in good enough shape to start building again. The trails I built for the middle school bike club are being logged at this moment so there should be lots of clean-up to do. I should be able to build some new features as well. The kids will get a whole new set of trails and I'll have lots to do.

I think I'm going to have a pretty good year.
    I have a device that can access the total knowledge of man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and argue with strangers.

FloridaKeys Fishing Guide
    Down here we may be able to ride year 'round, but building in the summer heat is about a 4 hour deal as it is too hot in July/August/Sept timeframe, and not much gets done except the bare minimum repair. We are now cooling off and will get, and have already, major projects done. We just finished a 150 ton fill job on a re-route of a major trail. This Jan we will tweak the project with one more 'dozer rental and staging of fill in various spots.

Our main problem is the tropical rain that erode the trails in a big way and we have to buy double crushed lime rock to repair the damage. Fortunately this stuff lasts a very long time. We are now also using pavers in the big wear area's as well to keep from having to come back. Fortunately the races we organize pay for all this material and tools we use.

This season looks like we will have more volunteers too, as people are now seeing what has been achieved by just 2-3 people over the past 3 months.. Maybe we shamed a few riders into paying back with some effort, in what is a free trail system.
    Current ride(s) 2011 Santa Cruz Blur LT

XXIX
    Bam!

I got one of these for Christmas and Im itching to use it.

The White Jeff W
    Nice! I got 5 rolls of pink flagging tape!
    No moss...

saddlemeat
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffw-13 View Post
    Just finished flagging 1.6 miles of new singletrack yesterday. I think ill call it 'red baloon' because I keep seeing this up there

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1356364308541.jpg 
Views:	657 
Size:	93.6 KB 
ID:	747683
    We have a new trail called Flight Of The Fawn, sometimes they name themselves!
    A Useful Bear is a handy thing.

... and if we just ...

^ Yes thy do..We have a trail called Iguana Ridge as a huge Iguana scared the cr^p out of one of the trail crew..
    The name instantly stuck and a sign is in production..

Hermit
    Too much snow in NE Ohio to actually build right now. But we were out flagging the first rough line of the first trail of the new mtb trail system at Lake Milton State Park. We'll be back out next weekend and likely have most of phase 1 roughed in.

May start cutting corridor soon. Can't do a lot more with 10" on the ground.

Steve Z
    Pedaling when it's dry
    And paddling when it's wet

My insignificant blog:
    http://swampboy62.blogspot.com/

I <3 Dirt
    The wife got me a rogue hoe for Christmas too. Lots of rain recently where I am and my 7" hoe was cutting the DG like butter. Perfect trail building conditions in SoCal.

boxcar
    Quote Originally Posted by mealsonwheels View Post
    The wife got me a rogue hoe for Christmas too. Lots of rain recently where I am and my 7" hoe was cutting the DG like butter. Perfect trail building conditions in SoCal.
    haha! I got a rogue hoe too from my gal for Christmas. My buds come up to help build and the Rogue hoe always gets snagged up She bought me another so I always have one to use.

Build season in full force right now, I agree. Ground is a little hard, but unstable("frozen" dirt breaks apart easily), so with the Rogue hoe and a pick maddox it's pretty easy to break up and form. The 5-6" of snow is adding some good moisture to drought ridden Colorado Front Range dirt. I like the way the snow mixes in with the dirt. A lot of tree work with my 290 too. Probably in my head, but I feel like Stihl runs better when it's cooler out. Gettin' beetle kill on the ground and limbed. Most logs get used for berms, trannies, or lips and the rest is bucked up for burnin'. Speakin' of all this, I'm out to cut and dig

Happy buildin' in the New Year folks!

Quote Originally Posted by mtn.skratch View Post
    haha! I got a rogue hoe too from my gal for Christmas. My buds come up to help build and the Rogue hoe always gets snagged up She bought me another so I always have one to use.

Build season in full force right now, I agree. Ground is a little hard, but unstable("frozen" dirt breaks apart easily), so with the Rogue hoe and a pick maddox it's pretty easy to break up and form. The 5-6" of snow is adding some good moisture to drought ridden Colorado Front Range dirt. I like the way the snow mixes in with the dirt. A lot of tree work with my 290 too. Probably in my head, but I feel like Stihl runs better when it's cooler out. Gettin' beetle kill on the ground and limbed. Most logs get used for berms, trannies, or lips and the rest is bucked up for burnin'. Speakin' of all this, I'm out to cut and dig

Happy buildin' in the New Year folks!
    Happy trail building to you!!

Sounds you're getting some work done and you're right on the Stihl running better in the cooler weather. My saws did a lot of work in Northern Illinois before moving down here and they aren't too happy in the heat...

Unpredictable
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffw-13 View Post
    Nice! I got 5 rolls of pink flagging tape!
    Secret Santa or stingy family?

Unpredictable
    Summer here. Normally this would be a wet time of year, but so far it remains pretty dry. Shame, as water makes building far easier apart from the nappy (diaper) rash and I'd also like to avoid trail digger's lung. We can cope with the heat, but Dust = Bad. Oh well, it just makes you put more effort into line and grade selection, plus the amount of stone you add to the tread.

Heres's some pics from this week including new trail work, test riding, a Witjuti Grub being released into the wild, saved dirt, a small ant checking out our work and the reason for it all.

Happy New Year.

http://forums.mtbr.com/attachment.ph...1&d=1357028334

http://forums.mtbr.com/attachment.ph...1&d=1357028446

http://forums.mtbr.com/attachment.ph...1&d=1357028498

http://forums.mtbr.com/attachment.ph...1&d=1357028563

http://forums.mtbr.com/attachment.ph...1&d=1357028655

http://forums.mtbr.com/attachment.ph...1&d=1357028699

http://forums.mtbr.com/attachment.ph...1&d=1357028764

http://forums.mtbr.com/attachment.ph...1&d=1357028816
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Build season-p1090892.jpg  

Build season-p1090858.jpg  

Build season-p1090813.jpg  

Build season-p1090871.jpg  

Build season-p1090851.jpg  

Build season-p1090853.jpg  

Build season-p1090708.jpg  

Build season-p1090876-1.jpg  

I build my own.
    What's going on in picture #2? Is that just a temporary blockage for construction?

I might just have to get myself a little sailboat and come riding.
    I have a device that can access the total knowledge of man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and argue with strangers.

Unpredictable
    The majority of that trail is complete and we are just trying to discourage use until we close a section of the trail it replaces, add a new connecting section of trail between the two and then complete the last bit on either end of the new trail. Both ends have logs and other debris added for now. Looks crappy and prevents us riding it as well, but the trail is already too popular and too obvious.

I build my own.
    I always build the kid's trails that way, no entrance or exit. In the BC forest that means no one has a clue that the trail is there until I open it.

mtbr member
    spent most of the day yesterday improving some un-used singletrack in a nearby park. I am getting over a cold, so I didn't want to go riding just yet. dang that is some back-breaking work!

I need to get one of those hardcore shovel/rake things, because my rigid rake is not cutting it!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail Ninja View Post
    I always build the kid's trails that way, no entrance or exit. In the BC forest that means no one has a clue that the trail is there until I open it.
    exactly, people are like how did you guys build that whole trail in 1 day not realizing that we only the "ends" when everything else is finished
    Misfit diSSent 1x10
    Jet 9

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast