Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Build season

boxcar
    Cold snap let up last week, so went from single digits last weekend to 40F-50F this weekend, and got out for a bit...

When we bought this property, there was a lot of leftover landscaping/building material here, so we use it wherever we can, especially in the trails. Landscaping stone and brick, rebar...all has come in handy for drainages, reinforcement...

This past Saturday my brother, gf, and me shaped this corner headin' into a traverse. Took most the afternoon as it is deceivingly rocky. Some spots we can put in a 150-200' section of trail and this maybe 40' section took the same amount of time
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Build season-1-19-2013-1.jpg  

Build season-matt-1-19-2013-1sm.jpg  

Build season-1-19-2013-1-2sm.jpg  

Last edited by mtn.skratch; 01-23-2013 at 06:21 AM. Reason: added photo

boxcar
    Couldn't get this photo to upload with the others....using the bricks to help guide the drainage across the trail. Don't know if it is the best method, but water flows here with enough rain or snow melt when we have it so trying to limit it to a smaller section of trail.

Anyone else got some pics of some of the work you're gettin' done this build season?!
    Post em up!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Build season-1-19-2013-1-2sm.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2005

Idea!

Water bars? Rebar? Bricks? Piling up dirt on the critical edge? You may want to sign up for a trail building class; there are lots of things you could do better.

Instead of building water bars you really should be putting in rolling dips. They hold up better, are easier to build, look better, and are more fun to ride.

Rebar should be used sparingly, if ever, since it becomes a hazard as whatever it was pinned thru breaks down over the years.

Bricks are not a part of the environment and look out of place. Chances are you can find some decent rock around somewhere rather than hauling in bricks.

Piling up dirt on the critical (downhill) edge invites rutting. It creates a natural dam that will keep water on the trail. Disperse the dirt far down the hill. For a really clean edge get in the habit of piling dirt in the middle of the tread and then shoveling it far down the hill. You will get a much cleaner looking trail.

I like your enthusiasm, but with a bit of research I think you can vastly improve the quality of your work. At the very least start with the IMBA Book - Trail Solutions | International Mountain Bicycling Association

boxcar
    Quote Originally Posted by BonkedAgain View Post
    Water bars? Rebar? Bricks? Piling up dirt on the critical edge? You may want to sign up for a trail building class; there are lots of things you could do better.

Instead of building water bars you really should be putting in rolling dips. They hold up better, are easier to build, look better, and are more fun to ride.

Rebar should be used sparingly, if ever, since it becomes a hazard as whatever it was pinned thru breaks down over the years.

Bricks are not a part of the environment and look out of place. Chances are you can find some decent rock around somewhere rather than hauling in bricks.

Piling up dirt on the critical (downhill) edge invites rutting. It creates a natural dam that will keep water on the trail. Disperse the dirt far down the hill. For a really clean edge get in the habit of piling dirt in the middle of the tread and then shoveling it far down the hill. You will get a much cleaner looking trail.

I like your enthusiasm, but with a bit of research I think you can vastly improve the quality of your work. At the very least start with the IMBA Book - Trail Solutions | International Mountain Bicycling Association
    Thanks for the input and advice! Sorry if saying we used bricks for drainage and showing that picture was misleading. I also apologize if I implied this was finished trail. I am just showing what we are getting done with our trails in between bad weather spouts. As you have noted, I am not a professional trail builder Just a dude with some property, a couple rogue hoes, and a bike.

You can see the main drainage from that section of trail is the flat rock below the bricks in the first pic two posts ago. When we have water flow it will drain in an approx. 6-8" channel in front of that rock which was there naturally. The line got formed over it because it had apparently been in place for some time. The bricks are about 2' above and 12' in front of it so am confident the steepness and the natural drainage will be good.

The bricks are a base for a small drop out of the corner that will be built up with dirt, natural rock and cut log. I think we will use up the supply of leftover landscaping material because it is here, and in our opinion, a good way to re-use stuff that we "inherited."

This is private property(that welcomes guests) and previous owners had it riddled with steel fence posts, various markers and basically tons of garbage. I am curious to know the time frame and negative effects of using steel bars for staking in logs and brick. This place was built in 1973 and I can tell that whatever the original folks drove the stakes into, that I've pulled out, was solid to say the least.

I am not familiar with the term "critical edge." I like it though and don't wanna screw it up We built a trail on the other side of the property the same way and it's great. Holding the original benchcut after a lot of riding and inclement weather. I am going to look into that though to make sure we're gettin' the most bang for our buck for the long haul.

Again, thanks for your advice. Duly noted and appreciated

Delirious Tuck
    I used rebar 5 years ago on some steps for a foot only trail, the wood didn't do so well in the freeze thaw cycle and humidity of New England and I either have to pull it or keep driving it in... dangerous if we miss a pull/drive event.

boxcar
    Quote Originally Posted by thefriar View Post
    I used rebar 5 years ago on some steps for a foot only trail, the wood didn't do so well in the freeze thaw cycle and humidity of New England and I either have to pull it or keep driving it in... dangerous if we miss a pull/drive event.
    I haven't noticed any rebar getting higher in the ground around here I haven't sunk any into wood though, mostly just on the downhill side of rocks and logs to keep them from following gravity. The ground where I am is what I would refer to as unstable and from what I've noticed as a novice/hobbyist trailbuilder the rebar has actually stabilized the ground around them, getting firmer and more "set" with time and weather cycles.

I'm lookin' at my trails very often, multiple times a week, anxious to do maintenance, add-on, improve, change lines....

I would have to imagine any trail or section of trail will need maintenance yearly if not more so personally I would expect to perform different measures of maint. over a 5 year span no matter what materials and guidelines were being used/followed. I don't hike my trails(they are for downhill bike traffic only) and actually ask people to not hike up the steep sections of trail here. I can hike up a trail once and see more disruption in the dirt from my boots than dozens of runs down the same section of trail on my bike.

Good luck with your trail!

Post some pics of your work!

boxcar
    Trying to utilize some good advice I got from Trail Ninja and Bonked Again...

The dirt that was piled up along the critical edge I pulled back onto the trail and tried to build up some rolling grade dips or maybe these are more like little rollers....at any rate, it's good use of the dirt. I was surprised how much dirt I actually had sittin' there doin' nothing
    The trails look better without the dirt piled up there, feel more "open" when riding while maintaining the same width, and are certainly more sustainable.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Build season-mt.lion1.jpg  

Build season-mt.lion2.jpg  

Build season-mt.lion3.jpg  

I build my own.
    Two questions. How do you like the ride now?
    Is that a jump/gap in the last picture?
    I have a device that can access the total knowledge of man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and argue with strangers.

boxcar
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail Ninja View Post
    Two questions. How do you like the ride now?
    Is that a jump/gap in the last picture?
    The ride now is better and I like it more.

The third picture is just a little "popper" jump into the corner. My original line went around this large, protruding rock and as it got ridden, figured could build it up for a little jump...
    It's fairly linear to the top of the tranny and 9' out so you sets you real well into the outside edge of the corner, then just as you come out of the g-out from the landing/right hander you can unweight/manual over the first roller(2nd pic, wish the pic showed it better) into the left 90, short straight, left 90 into the first pic, then that goes into the little rock gap/step down from previous posts....

It flows so well now

I build my own.
    Quote Originally Posted by mtn.skratch View Post
    The ride now is better and I like it more.

The third picture is just a little "popper" jump into the corner. My original line went around this large, protruding rock and as it got ridden, figured could build it up for a little jump...
    It's fairly linear to the top of the tranny and 9' out so you sets you real well into the outside edge of the corner, then just as you come out of the g-out from the landing/right hander you can unweight/manual over the first roller(2nd pic, wish the pic showed it better) into the left 90, short straight, left 90 into the first pic, then that goes into the little rock gap/step down from previous posts....

It flows so well now
    Looks great, glad I could help.
    I have a device that can access the total knowledge of man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and argue with strangers.

Rider, Builder, Dreamer
    I need to got off my A$$ and go dig. Haven't gotten out for any real digging in almost 4 weeks.

This weekend is a trip to Ray's in CLE, then a week off of classes. Hopefully I'll be able to get some good digging and mapping done then.

I build my own.
    Just killing time while waiting for them to finish logging so I can get to work fixing the damage. This is a reroute around a "rake & ride" that someone (I know who) put through a swampy area.

Build season-2013-01-21-12.23.58.jpg

Build season-2013-01-21-12.25.08.jpg

I build my own.
    Oh, a before & after of the logging.

Build season-2013-01-20-10.56.56.jpg

Build season-2013-01-20-10.11.45.jpg

FloridaKeys Fishing Guide
    OMG! R U sure it was logging and not WW III???
    Current ride(s) 2011 Santa Cruz Blur LT

I build my own.
    Quote Originally Posted by OscarW View Post
    OMG! R U sure it was logging and not WW III???
    Positive.

Build season-hpim1001.jpg

FloridaKeys Fishing Guide
    I was sure of it too, but it looked pretty bad even though I have seen it for myself in Idaho and BC.. I hope you can rebuild the trails again soon.
    Current ride(s) 2011 Santa Cruz Blur LT

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by pascale27 View Post
    This my really my favorite time of the year. The leaves are all down and there's less trail traffic because of the colder temps here in nj. This is also when we like to do our building (before the ground freezes). Just started a few minor projects and am excited about 2 extensions we'll be adding to existing trails. Just getting pumped to cut some trail.
    hey pascale27 if you don't mind me asking where are you riding in nj I too am riding (just starting back out but) in jersey im in the central jersey (cheesequake) area

The White Jeff W
    I've got a 1.5 mile loop flagged in and started some clearing. Slowly chipping away at it as weather & schedule allow. Bought a 18" chainsaw yesterday to expedite things Not the best but after 1 day of use Im very happy with it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Build season-20130211_104831.jpg  

No moss...

boxcar
    Oh, a before & after of the logging.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2013-01-20 10.56.56.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	375.2 KB 
ID:	770831

Name:	2013-01-20 10.11.45.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	325.0 KB 
ID:	770830
    Wow, so are you going to rebuild the original trail as much as possible or will the re-route replace the original? How long does it take for the loggers to get through an area like that?

That re-route looks nice!

That dirt looks awesome too.

I build my own.
    The reroute I've been working on is a new trail that was hastily built when we heard they were going to log. those trails are for the local middle school bike club and as you can see, they have lost a lot of their network. The pink area is what they logged. It took them just 3 weeks. there is about 15 miles of trail in the pink area. The rest had already been logged so now the entire thing is clearcut. The red lines are logging roads and the green are trails I built.
    I'll have to take a good look & decide if I want to follow old routes or build new. It's a unique opportunity.

Build season-qbmsmaplogging.jpg

memento mori
    Feb 2004
    Trail Ninja,feel you logging pain. We've got about 2 miles of trail to rebuild due to logging. Not clear cut but a extensive thinning. The trails run thru a tree farm so it was inevitable. The land managers are great to work with so when the snow melts it's go time. It does make for a unique opportunity to rebuild.

The White Jeff W
    A couple years ago the county let a logging company come in and log several acres of our local park. We were upset at first but rebuilt everything better than it was and even got a new parking lot out of it.
    No moss...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DABIGSEAT View Post
    hey pascale27 if you don't mind me asking where are you riding in nj I too am riding (just starting back out but) in jersey im in the central jersey (cheesequake) area

South Jersey....Ceres, CCC, Wiss, White Clay
    Misfit diSSent 1x10
    Jet 9

boxcar
    The reroute I've been working on is a new trail that was hastily built when we heard they were going to log. those trails are for the local middle school bike club and as you can see, they have lost a lot of their network. The pink area is what they logged. It took them just 3 weeks. there is about 15 miles of trail in the pink area. The rest had already been logged so now the entire thing is clearcut. The red lines are logging roads and the green are trails I built.
    I'll have to take a good look & decide if I want to follow old routes or build new. It's a unique opportunity.

Name:	qbmsmaplogging.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	98.7 KB 
ID:	771657
    That's a lot of trail to get wiped out, sorry to hear this for the kids and for you. I guess the upside is that you do now have a clean canvas, however seein' as how you built the trails in the first place, they were probably already exactly what you wanted. I suppose it's hard to find the upside with this one. I'm stoked to hear what you decide to do as far as building new vs. re-building the old routes.

Good on ya' Trail Ninja, those are some lucky kids

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3