mtbr member
    Aug 2005

Boulder County Seeks Trail Builder

Job Title: Parks Technician I-Trails
    Closing Date/Time: Wed. 12/17/08 11:59 PM Mountain Time
    Salary: $2,479.00 / Month
    Job Type: Full-time

http://www.bouldercounty.org/jobs/index.htm

The Boulder County Parks & Open Space Department has an opening for a Parks Technician I (Trails) to perform a variety of duties, within specific guidelines, in the development, construction and maintenance of County trails and related facilities.

Examples of Duties:
    Duties will include: constructing, maintaining and improving natural and manmade surface trails, performing unskilled and semi- skilled operations with hand tools, power tools, heavy equipment and vehicles; training and monitoring the work of hourly employees and volunteers; performing general maintenance and construction on other park facilities; and performing related duties as required.

Typical Qualifications:
    Requires a high school diploma or equivalent and one year of trails/parks maintenance experience or any equivalent combination of education and experience. Previous experience with materials, equipment, and the procedures necessary for parks and trails maintenance and construction is preferred. An understanding of the hazards and safety precautions common to parks and trail work is desired.

Job offer is contingent on passing a pre-employment physical and must be at least 18 years old. Must possess and maintain a valid Colorado Driverís license with good driving record and be able to work out of doors for extended periods of time and in all types of weather conditions.

Supplemental Information:
    2009 Starting Salary $2,479 per month

featherweight clydesdale
    Quote Originally Posted by imba_pete
    2009 Starting Salary $2,479 per month
    Maybe they'll throw in a Titus at that price. I'd have considered that 10 years ago.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008

Gimme That

Oh darn, you'd only make $30,000 a year + benefits. I can think of worse things to do, as in sitting behind a desk making more but envying the guy only making the $30,000 enjoying what he does.

Excuse me while I scoot off to apply for the position.

Stiff yet compliant
    Thought about it for about a second. Besides all the "practical" reasons I can't apply for this job. If you do something for fun and then it becomes just a job, it may stop being fun.
    Trail work is dirty, sweaty, back-breaking work. You may smash a finger with a rock bar or get a sudden gust of headwind while broadcasting dirt, it's all good because you are having fun.
    Then the five people in charge of the project each give you conflicting instructions. Trailbuilding is the ultimate inexact science so you just do it how you want it. You are a volunteer, are they going to fire you?
    Getting paid would be nice, this girl is going to keep doing it for free and just enjoy it.

Builder of Trails
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Moustache rider
    Thought about it for about a second. Besides all the "practical" reasons I can't apply for this job. If you do something for fun and then it becomes just a job, it may stop being fun.
    Trail work is dirty, sweaty, back-breaking work. You may smash a finger with a rock bar or get a sudden gust of headwind while broadcasting dirt, it's all good because you are having fun.
    Then the five people in charge of the project each give you conflicting instructions. Trailbuilding is the ultimate inexact science so you just do it how you want it. You are a volunteer, are they going to fire you?
    Getting paid would be nice, this girl is going to keep doing it for free and just enjoy it.
    It seems like you're trying to talk yourself out of applying for the job. I volunteered for several years and was a trail steward before starting my own trail building company. That was one of the best decisions I've made as an adult.

Can the work be challenging? You betcha! That's one reason I do it. And it's physically hard, too. Just today I ran over 90 walk-behind skid steer loads up and down a small hill. Talk about worn out! But the finished product is well worth it. Also, watching the reaction of a mountain biker as she attempts a technical trail feature I built for the first time and cleans it is the icing on the mud cake!

Whether or not you decide to ever become a full time trail builder, keep volunteering. I do and learn from it every time.

D