mtbr member
    Mar 2008

Bike Patrol. Anyone here a member?

Hello. I recently saw someone in NMBP attire and it got me thinking about advocacy and community service; in particular, helping riders in distress.

Is anyone here a member? Do you find the experience rewarding? Is it a major time committment such that you have to ride every weekend? Would you do it again?

Perhaps I should also ask: Has anyone here every needed help from the bike patrol and did you find their assitance worthwhile?

Thanks

Don't worry, be happy!
    You might ask on GD or Passion.

I know a lot about National SKI Patrol, on which parts of the NMBP are based, but not much about the bike parts.

mtbr member
    Down here in South Florida, we have a pretty cool thing going on here in that Broward County (Parks Dept.) has embraced the whole NMBP thing to help riding and risk management issues here and to keep lawsuits down, trails open, and trails ridable, safe, and keep riders in protective gear and from being stranded. BCPD has done this in a major way to the tune of actually perchasing jerseys for patrollers if they do a minimun 50 hours of patrolling per year. We ride all the time at 2 trail systems here in Broward Co. and ride for free to boot (park admission is waived for patrollers). We ride like usual..... and watch mostly for riders without helmets....give directions....administer minimal first aid when needed...help with repair advice and training....sometime give tours to newbies showing where to ride the easier sections and bypasses, expert sections to avoid when obvious, smile alot 'cause we're riding and helpin out our brothers and sisters!

Overall, it's more of a tour guide, towtruck operator, hospitality/recreation director type of job than police man position although some people just don't want to ride with helmets and have no sense of concern for the old gray matter. Then again, some of us are just rebels!!

There are around 30 NMBP members here!

Broward County also just incorporated a system of numbered ID cards that require you to register with the county, sign a waiver form to ride our dangerous sport, watch a 3-4 minute video covering the trail rules, signs, and stuff like that BEFORE you can enter the trails! BCPD was extremely surprised when they now have almost 3000 registered riders between Markham Park and Quiet Waters Parks (2500 and 500). They had NO idea that that many riders were using the trails here!

Who'da thunk!?!?!?

Oleta River State Park down in North Miami is just starting their own NMBP group although I ride in "uniform" down there all the time.....again it's mostly helmets and directions....but always with a smile. We always ask if everything's OK when someones on the trail side to make sure. We are ambassadors for our sport. atleast that's the way I look at it.

It's not a job...it's an adventure!
    IF YOU CAN READ THIS, YOU'RE NOT RIDING (or building)!

Ride Responsibly
    We have a local patrol that I am a member of, You apply to state parks to become an unpaid employee so you have workman's comp if you are hurt. mostly answer questions, report trees on the trail.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    In New England NEMBA has a Trail Ambassador program that I am part of and it is fun. Basically you ride with NEMBA Trail Ambassador 'colors' on, due some trail upkeep and help people, then track ride hours to help with demonstrating mtn bikers giving back to the community. For me this is stuff I would do any way, but it is fun. Every once in awhile I fix a bike, but usually it is help lost people find their way back to the car.

mtbr member
    I am the newest member of the Moab Bike Patrol.

http://www.moabbikepatrol.com/
    It's not an adventure until someone BLEEDS!