Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mtbr member
    Anyone have a good source to replace a broken Corona handle?
    I used to build these: www.bikesonsnow.homestead.com
    I now build trails: www.sinuosity.net

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    We have a lot of 70's and also a few 80's and the 80 is the best tool to replace Mcloeds. Far more effective in bench cutting can cut through all but the largest of roots. Has a good broad face for tamping.

is down to roll...
    i just found this one today:
    Interchangeable Mcleod hoe/rake tool head with 2-4ft Telescopic pole - Inteletool - The Tool Solution

INTERCHANGEABLE MCLEOD HOE/RAKE TOOL HEAD WITH 2-4FT TELESCOPIC POLE

$$$

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailYoda View Post
    We have a lot of 70's and also a few 80's and the 80 is the best tool to replace Mcloeds. Far more effective in bench cutting can cut through all but the largest of roots. Has a good broad face for tamping.
    When you say 80's, you are referring to the 80RH (Rhino)?

mtbr member
    I go with the Rogue Hoe 70HRH with a 40" handle 95-98% of the time.

CP
    Sep 2005
    Another vote for Rogue 70HR54. We have a trailer with (4) ZACs and (2) Rogue 70HR54 and (2) Rogue 70HRH, and the Rogue Hoes (new to us) are far superior now that I've tried both. The balance, size, weight, and sharp-edges all make the Rogue better IMO. YMMV...

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Found 4 coronas at a closeout store, they were marked as roofing shingle removers. $10 each!!! What a deal.

I build my own.
    Quote Originally Posted by peteuga View Post
    Found 4 coronas at a closeout store, they were marked as roofing shingle removers. $10 each!!! What a deal.
    I love when that happens. I found a bark spud at my local hardware store for $9.99. They thought it was an ice scraper. No one would buy it because it was only 3" wide.
    I have a device that can access the total knowledge of man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and argue with strangers.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by bart.taylor.sucks View Post
    When you say 80's, you are referring to the 80RH (Rhino)?
    Yes, I am referring to the 80RH. I just bought another 6 of them. For most volunteers the 70H is a better tool since it is lighter. But if you want to get a lot of benching done and have the fitness to match the 80RH is the ticket.

mtbr member
    May 2011

New question here.

Ok so I'm looking for a wood handle McLeod and after reading about 10 threads here and looking online have it narrowed down to 2:

Zac
    BuyZacTools.com
    Name:  Zac.JPG
Views: 572
Size:  4.7 KB

and

Lamberton Rake
    12" X 9" Heavy Gauge Trail Rake Wood Handle (Weight ~ 8 lbs.)
    The Lamberton Rake
    Name:  Lamberton.jpg
Views: 600
Size:  62.1 KB

The details: Already have a Rogue hoe for benching, root cutting and most of the swinging that doesn't require an axe or pick mattock. So the McLeod will be for raking the loose organic material out of the surface, for final finish raking and for most of the tamping.

I like the boltless face of both of these and read lots of good things here on the Zac. Anyone used the "Heavy Gauge Trail Rake" version of the Lamberton? For my purposes I don't think the extra weight will be an issue so I am leaning towards this.

Thanks in advance for any feedback

I build my own.
    For raking, it's 6 of one and half a dozen of the other. Go with the widest one that you can handle. You'll get your work done faster.
    I have a device that can access the total knowledge of man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and argue with strangers.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    My Corona McLeod has a bolt on the bottom thus it does not tamp to good, dirt sticks to the bolt area really bad. I am thinking of buying a heavier dedicated tamp.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I own one of the Lamberton heavy gauge McLeods and the head is extremely heavy. It works well if you are pulling the head along the tread like a road grader. It is too heavy to get much work done using the McLeod with a chopping motion.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Markhpnc View Post
    Ok so I'm looking for a wood handle McLeod and after reading about 10 threads here and looking online have it narrowed down to 2:

Zac

and

Lamberton Rake
    12" X 9" Heavy Gauge Trail Rake Wood Handle (Weight ~ 8 lbs.)

I like the boltless face of both of these and read lots of good things here on the Zac. Anyone used the "Heavy Gauge Trail Rake" version of the Lamberton? For my purposes I don't think the extra weight will be an issue so I am leaning towards this.

Thanks in advance for any feedback
    Mark,

As bweide pointed out the heavy duty is really too heavy for effective building of single track tread. Get the 12"x9" size head being 6 lbs. not the 8 lbs. I got Merritt at Recycles that one since he uses it for the most part in shaping jumps and berms which makes it a good rake and tamp more for jump park construction than for building single track. If you would like to try either the Zac or the 6 lbs lamberton before you pull the trigger you can try either out of my stockpile. Mark in GSO, NC aka Singletrackmind.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailYoda View Post
    ..........I own Corna, Nupla, Lamberton, and Zacs.
    +1 on the Lambertons. Have much better luck in tough soil with my Lamberton than with my McLeod (large one is heavier with more blade surface). They also cost less!
    PrOxY

saddlemeat
    As a retired carpenter I much prefer a wood handle for it's shock absorbing and balance characteristics. A heavy handle makes the tool less responsive and transmits more shock to your joints. I don't break tools so I prefer the lightest and best balanced. I prefer a tool that doesn't need to be swung if possible, I find I can use my legs to more advantage with a sharp zac trail shovel, especially when dealing with scrub oak roots and sage brush removal.

Our local YCC crews use the heaviest and most durable tools they can find, and still are constantly breaking, repairing, and replacing all their tools. They tend to use Nupla becasue there is a local supplier. According to the superintendent, the most durable mcleods are the repaired ones where an extra 6" x 6" x 1/4" plate has been welded between the handle socket and the head. This eliminates a lot of flex and allows for fatter welds... but they still only last so long, two years is exceptional performance, even for tampers and digging bars.
    A Useful Bear is a handy thing.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by bsieb View Post
    As a retired carpenter I much prefer a wood handle
    Im not a carpenter but I prefer the same. Sand off whatever crappy finish is on there then rub it down with boiled linseed oil

Oh and Im about to order the Lamberton "trail" with a wood handle. Even though they only list the wood handle on the "heavy gauge", I emailed him and they can put the wood on any of them.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013

Collapsible Mcleod alternative.

Due to repeatedly getting frustrated that I'd see small maintenance jobs on the tracks that I couldn't fix without the whole saga of going home, packing tools in the car, driving to closest point and walking in just to attend to a few 5 minute tidy up jobs, I've started making collapsible rakehoe type tools.

These aren't a replacement for regular full size fixed Mcleods etc, but are intended to be carried in a small pack (it fits in the Camelback Mule and other 10Litre'ish size packs) while riding. It can tackle many typical maintenance tasks but certainly isn't intended to be used for hours on end, or for serious trail construction.

I've had a bit of interest in them, so I've started a simple web page.
    home.exetel.com.au/peterbmack/packhoe.php

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by BikerPeteOz View Post
    Due to repeatedly getting frustrated that I'd see small maintenance jobs on the tracks that I couldn't fix without the whole saga of going home, packing tools in the car, driving to closest point and walking in just to attend to a few 5 minute tidy up jobs, I've started making collapsible rakehoe type tools.
    I have started using the Rogue Hoe and find it works great for the above mentioned problem. It is lighter and smaller than a McLeod and digs similar to the Polaski.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I use a gravel rake from Lowes. Works pretty well for roughing in a trail in the woods behind my place. Nobody else is riding my trail, so it ain't worth spending $80+ bucks on a mcleod and bench cutting. North Carolina jungle.
    There, I said it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Are there any other options to the intellitool for take-down portable McLeods?

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    My answer would be my Packhoe, but have you got a link to the Intellitool, I haven't seen that.
    Quote Originally Posted by beechnut View Post
    Are there any other options to the intellitool for take-down portable McLeods?

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by BikerPeteOz View Post
    My answer would be my Packhoe, but have you got a link to the Intellitool, I haven't seen that.
    The intellitool was listed up above in the thread.
    Firefighting Tools - Inteletool - The Tool Solution

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Ahh. Quite right. For some reason I was thinking that had a different name.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2