mtbr member

Best folding saw

Hi, I need a folding bow saw that can take out saplings of 6 inches or less. It needs to fit in a small backpack or preferably jersey pocket. What do you all recommend?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    carona folding saw. locking blade. they have 'em at Lowe's.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009

Silky

I carry a Silky 210 in my hiking pack. It's a great saw. They make them from around 5 inches up. I use it alot to cut firewood. Bahco makes nice stuff for the money.
    Theres alot of youtube videos about both brands.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I also carry a Silky 210 with me. Quality feeling tool that cuts well, I really like it.

mtbr member
    Absolutely the Silky -- forget the bow saw.
    Quiring KVA MS2 Stainless 29er SS
    Tallboy Carbon
    Fisticuff
    ARR | GHORBA | IMBA NMBP

mtbr member
    What do you all think about the Silky Bigboy 2000?

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I think bone saws last much longer: Amazon.com: Gerber 22-41140 E-Z Saw II: Home Improvement

sore member
    Quote Originally Posted by chomxxo View Post
    Cuts through wood like a hot knife through butter. Several trail crew guys in my area carry them for clearing deadfall. Fits in a camelback.

Single Speed Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by chomxxo View Post
    That is the version I carry and have cleared 14" diameter or better downed trees over the trail.

Blade can be a little flexy if your form is sloppy on the push cut, but cuts like butter on the pull. Fits in the pack easily and never noticed any ill effects after carrying one after 5 years.

local trails rider
    For "just in case", I'd consider a Pocket Chainsaw. I've seen something like 12" downed trees cut with those in a pretty good time. In that size it seems to work best if there's two persons using the saw.

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

i'm schralping yer thread
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by perttime View Post
    For "just in case", I'd consider a Pocket Chainsaw. I've seen something like 12" downed trees cut with those in a pretty good time. In that size it seems to work best if there's two persons using the saw.
    Yeah..."just in case" your regular CrossFit routine just isn't doing it for you. I've got one of those things, and the only cutting tool with more cardio value I've ever used is my buddy's antique 8' Misery Whip.

I'm a fan of the Gerbers, both the Exchange-A-Blade folder and Sportsman slider styles. The blades are super-sharp and not too flexy/brittle considering how compact it is.

featherweight clydesdale
    Quote Originally Posted by crux View Post

Blade can be a little flexy if your form is sloppy on the push cut.
    +1. You can break the blade on the Big Silky if you don't have a keen understanding tension and binding. However it is a great saw for someone with some experience.

If it's your first saw, get the Corona from Lowes. That's a great saw too, particularly for the price.
    Charlottesville Area Mountain Bike Club
    www.cambc.org

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Yup...Silky BigBoy is great. The XL one has the larger teeth for cutting through Stuff faster. Order replacement blades when you buy the saw to save on shipping.

14 stuff takes a bit longer but any 10 inches and under goes quick.

Cheers,
    Mike

local trails rider
    Quote Originally Posted by GeePhroh View Post
    I've got one of those things, and the only cutting tool with more cardio value I've ever used is my buddy's antique 8' Misery Whip.
    The one I saw those guys using must be another brand then.

My old folding Fiskars saw does pretty well at cutting small trees in the garden and on trails. Seems to work best with a light touch, cutting mainly on the pull.

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

Off the back...
    Quote Originally Posted by GeePhroh View Post
    Yeah..."just in case" your regular CrossFit routine just isn't doing it for you. I've got one of those things, and the only cutting tool with more cardio value I've ever used is my buddy's antique 8' Misery Whip.
    I have to agree on this - I've used a Silky Katanaboy and a couple of bow saws, and the pocket chainsaw requires significantly more effort. That said, it's great for those "just in case" moments.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    This is the largest I've done with the Silky BigBoy 2000. you can see the cut on the left is a bit waves but this log was 14" across.
    Cheers,
    Mike

Best folding saw-imageuploadedbytapatalk1340755707.480032.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Any folding saws that have a thick blade?

I used a non-folding Corona that was like a 13" blade that is thicker than any folding saw blade I have used, including a 10" Corona I just bought. That thick blade is great, but I can't fit it inside my camelback.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Big Silky Gomboy in one back pocket and a pair of nippers in the other for the branches that are 1/2" or less.
    Bill

'95 Raleigh 400, STX-RC (road, touring)
    '00 Santa Cruz Superlight, XTR
    (Northern N.J.)

mtbr member
    I use one of these:
    Corona® Folding Pruning Saw (RS7245) - Bow & Pruning Saws - Ace Hardware
    It's been great for so many years.

I've recently picked up one of these (not folding):
    Amazon.com: Oregon PowerNow CS250E 14-Inch 40 Volt Max Lithium-Ion Chain Saw With Endurance Battery Pack: Patio, Lawn & Garden

I pack the thing on my back (strapped to my pack) and ride out and clear trail debris.

humber river advocate
    best portable buck saw i ever used. 24" blade is the way to go. i have two, one for trail work and one for the jeep. carry spare blades, a small axe i can nail with, and plastic wedges.

Portable Buck Saws - Lee Valley Tools

Support TORBA
    Sunnyside Bike Park Working Group
    Albion Hills Conservation Area Master Plan Public Advisory Committee