Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    mtbr member

Bermed corner photos?

Let's see your insloped (bermed) corners, folks...

Seeking inspiration for a spring work season filled with super-elevation

Thanks in advance!

Builder of Trails
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by fully
    Let's see your insloped (bermed) corners, folks...
    This is a bermed tranny, but bermed none the less.

Start with a cool drop-in rock feature:

Using the proper tool for the job, you shape a nice bermed transition:

Then you have triumphed!

A different trail, same mountain:

More:

This is a three berm chicane

Does that help?

D

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Nice.
    I wonder how hard it would be to get a grant for a track hoe?
    Just kidding.

Builder of Trails
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrench Monkey
    Nice.
    I wonder how hard it would be to get a grant for a track hoe?
    Just kidding.
    Some clubs have successfully applied for RTP grants to use to buy trail building machines. Just sayin....

D

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Just for fun I googled John Deer 200c. I found a used one for $187,000. YIKES!!
    Almost all of our trail tools,chain saws,weed eaters and our motorized wheel barrow have been payed for with grants. It is a great way to fund your trail building group. We take care of the trails in one state park and one county park. They both are good about sending a little money or materials to us. They get cheap labor and we get some great trail to ride and work on.

The Voice of Reason
    wow.
    I'm never gonna be a Rock Star

thats right living legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrench Monkey
    Just for fun I googled John Deer 200c. I found a used one for $187,000. YIKES!!
    I can get you one, for 150$ a day, for as many day's as you want. Usually takes about 1.
    Can't stop, Won't stop.

featherweight clydesdale
    Quote Originally Posted by blackagness
    I can get you one, for 150$ a day, for as many day's as you want. Usually takes about 1.
    $150? Isn't that what an SK 500 goes for....Seems cheap.

thats right living legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Fattirewilly
    $150? Isn't that what an SK 500 goes for....Seems cheap.
    I've got people.... "ie" I've got a few operators, I use frequently.

Never thought of calling in anyone for a trail though? ... but then I'd stand to loose.
    Can't stop, Won't stop.

I need skills
    Jul 2004

that is nice

that rock drop to berm, and the step up to berm photos are exactly why I come to this site. Cool stuff! I think I can recreate them in miniature!
    Charlie

mtbr member

Right...

Now, who else has a photo to share?

HIKE!

Old bulldozer line.

Utilizing an old bulldozer line, we made this with wheelbarrows, shovels and hand labor. Not exactly perfect, but we are certainly learning. It is signed "advanced" line, and pretty much sustainable as it is directional. The flow is really slow and swoopy, so braking is minimal. Obviously max grades, outslopes, and the 1/2 rule sorta got thrown out the window, but the line is holding together well, drains fine. And it is fun, there are 5 bermed turns in the line, a couple little jumps, and a couple little step-ups to jump outta the dozer line.

There is more planned to bring up the fun quotient along this little line. But, we got a chance to rent a DW SK500 for another project, and now that we know how much more work can get done with a little mechanized help..... well, it is hard to want to go back to this line without a machine. So we are working to get land manager okay to use a machine in there!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Rock Star!!!
    awesome berms, A back hoe is very productive but I would think a bobcat tractor would be more efficient, specially on tight terrain, they are excellent packing dirt , they are fast and have unlimited attachments for different jobs.....ride on... Byron
    Collaborate,Ride

Builder of Trails
    Feb 2004
    sparrow,

Where is that trail? The land looks beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by byron
    A back hoe is very productive but I would think a bobcat tractor would be more efficient, specially on tight terrain, they are excellent packing dirt , they are fast and have unlimited attachments for different jobs.....ride on... Byron
    Unless one is very skilled at using a Bobcat like that...and even when they are skilled, the potential to do more damage than good is high. First, they are heavy. Second, the wheels tear up the land more than tracks do and have a much higher ground pressure than tracked machines. For example, the DW SK500 we own exerts a mere 4.3 PSI with the seven inch tracks we have on it. I don't think Bobcat publishes ground pressure on their web site. Lastly, it's harder to shape jumps and stuff with the bucket on the Bobcat, though they can move a lot of dirt.

D

HIKE!

Black Hills of SD

Black Hills of SD:
    www.bhfattirefestival.com
    www.bhmba.org
    www.acmebicycles.com

Our club is on the verge of some really swell projects right now, and ATB riding and trails and land manager relations are getting better every season. Always more to go, more to do, but yee haw!

We may have a chance to do some machine built bermed turns on a leg of our current trail project. Any tips, rules, or numbers to keep in mind? I gotta consult the IMBA book for some of that, too, but any tips from the pros on here regarding insloped, or bermed turns?

Builder of Trails
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by sparrow
    Black Hills of SD
    We may have a chance to do some machine built bermed turns on a leg of our current trail project. Any tips, rules, or numbers to keep in mind? I gotta consult the IMBA book for some of that, too, but any tips from the pros on here regarding insloped, or bermed turns?
    Man, I was asked by IMBA's Trail Solutions if I could teach a class on running a DW somewhere in SD last fall, but they found someone else to do it. I really wanted to go. Now I really, really want to go!

As far as tips go, make sure you have to very good grade reversals before and after the bermed turns. Also make sure that the speed going into the turn matches the radius of the turn and the height of the berm. Otherwise, braking bumps will form. This is, IMO, one of the most difficult things to learn. The good things is that you can tweak the line with whatever machine you'll be using. Oh, in some areas people will shortcut the berm if it doesn't flow well or if they don't know how to ride a berm. To eliminate this potential no-no, make sure you have good anchors on the insides of the turns...rocks, trees, brush, etc.

D

HIKE!

Mini berm

One shot is a mini berm, we've rebuilt twice now. And it just may get a third massage, as it is a bit tight for the speed coming in. We'll see. Again, not much use (harder line) and directional, so it has held well coming up on two years. Any change to it would be for better speeds, which are hard to guage so early on in just learning and implementing trail layout. The IMBA classes and books have us on the right foot. But you still gotta long way to go, as all the pro builders already know.

We hauled in rocks to fill the back side and dirt from a donor pit to build the berm. We've seen too many bmx kid's efforts where they dig a trench and pile up the dirt over rotten logs, resulting in a wet trough of mud that is bad bad bad. So this entire berm is built up above the existing surface, rather than vice versa. 5-6 guys with a wheelbarrow took about 6 hours to build it (total, over a few days here and there, so I'm estimating).

I see what you mean by keeping folks on the berm with anchors.... After a couple trips to Whistler, where all I wanna ride in Dirt Merchant/A-Line, I am now excited about berms.

We got Ben Blitch up here for our DW SK500 training. He did design for a DJ Park we are trying to build on City Park's land. He'll be back here in May to make piles of dirt and bermed turns. Another chance for us to learn

mtbr member

Check these.

Tim, A bit of a sample from some of the stuff around here. Dwayne, dude you do need to go to RC the place is crazy fun. And a bobcat (wheeled) builds fantastic berms for the record. The wheels give you the perfect concave pocket so you can give some extra BRRRAAAP!! coming out.

Builder of Trails
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by redriderbb
    Tim, A bit of a sample from some of the stuff around here. Dwayne, dude you do need to go to RC the place is crazy fun. And a bobcat (wheeled) builds fantastic berms for the record. The wheels give you the perfect concave pocket so you can give some extra BRRRAAAP!! coming out.
    Ah, the RC is tracked like the ASV, neither of which have I driven yet. That kind of machine I can see working out. Good photo, btw.

D

Coastal Rider
    Nov 2006

I love to ride bermed trails!

Nice Photo's!
    I would like to work with earth moving equipment some time.
    Hand building trail is hard work but I like the narrow tread.

This is a trail I have been working on near Caspar, CA in Jackson State Forest.

Builder of Trails
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Clutton
    This is a trail I have been working on near Caspar, CA in Jackson State Forest.
    Hey, you're not that far from Redway/Garberville. You should check out the stuff being built at the King Range National Conservation Area on the Lost Coast. There's a 13-14 mile loop being built that uses an old mine road (Queen Peak Mine Road) for the down hill leg with table top jumps, optional drops, and berms.

D

Coastal Rider
    Nov 2006

King Range Bike Trail

Quote Originally Posted by dburatti
    Hey, you're not that far from Redway/Garberville. You should check out the stuff being built at the King Range National Conservation Area on the Lost Coast.
    D
    Hi D,
    I've worked with the Bigfoot Bicycle Club on the King Range Trail over the last few years. The Queen Mine Road work was not totally done last time I was up but it was a ripping trail already. Hear the loop is almost complete and I will be checking it out in the spring for sure.
    Chris

Builder of Trails
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Clutton
    Hi D,
    I've worked with the Bigfoot Bicycle Club on the King Range Trail over the last few years. The Queen Mine Road work was not totally done last time I was up but it was a ripping trail already. Hear the loop is almost complete and I will be checking it out in the spring for sure.
    Chris
    Joey Klein and I, along with some BLM staff and owl counters, built all but 90% of the old road stuff. What's left to build is to take a particularly steep section of road that crosses three drainages and make it a long singletrack in the trees. I believe the BLM wants to have the trail opened by late summer/early fall.

D

tjp
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004

King Range

Ride report and a link to photos. Make sure to look at the photos-a great on of a bermed turn. Right on topic.

http://www.piratedh.com/page8.html

Builder of Trails
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by tjp
    Ride report and a link to photos. Make sure to look at the photos-a great on of a bermed turn. Right on topic.

http://www.piratedh.com/page8.html
    Nice write up and photos! I'll see if I have any from that trail to contribute.

I'd love to ride the trail after this winter/spring, after it's settled and maybe ridden a bit. It will be supa cool!

Okay, here are a few pictures from the King Range Trail:

Joey Klein crossing the creek

Me crossing an unbuilt, wet rocky section

Mixing it up on National Public Lands Day with the volunteers

Here's Joey on the drop-in

Joey on the next TT

And a view from the trail

D

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast