mtbr member
    Mar 2008

Become an Agent of Flow in Moab!

No, not your great aunt Florence. I'm talking about that quality everyone looks for in singletrack.

Ride with Respect's rock drill is working so well that we're taking it along the entire route to transform square-edge bumps into rounded rollers.

As always, lunch and hand tools will be provided. Bring water, work gloves, sturdy shoes, and a raincoat. Meet on the north side of Uranium Cycles (between Wendy's and Chip's Grand Tire), then we'll carpool to the trail.

SOVEREIGN TRAIL MAINTENANCE
    Sunday 11/2/08, Wednesday 11/5/08, Saturday 11/8/08, Thursday 11/13/08, Tuesday 11/18/08, or Friday 11/28/08 from 10AM - 3PM

Clif notes:
    1. If you plan to join us from outside Moab, then call me to arrange meeting at the trailhead. That way you don't have to backtrack the last ten miles north of town.
    2. Also, I'd be happy to ride singletrack with anyone who pledges to join the trail crew. Again, call in advance to schedule a ride date (435-259-8334).
    3. Want more than just one Moab singletrack to be designated (instead of closed)? Then send a donation via RideWithRespect.org. Be one of the proud, the few, the supporters of our sport!
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    So much for low impact.
    The way we ride today shapes mountain bike trail access tomorrow. -IMBA

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    BRKNSPOKE- I'm glad you raised that point.

You're not the first person to turn his nose at the use of motorized equipment on trails. The response tends to be on emotional grounds. Personally, I believe that what little impact the drill has is dwarfed by the long-term benefits.

Unfortunately, it's not always possible to properly design a trail without moving rocks. In the photo, we're removing a cubic-foot of an inanimate object to slightly widen a switchback. The result is more momentum, less wheel spin, and less erosion.

I'm all about your signature that "The way we ride today shapes mountain bike trail access tomorrow." Last weekend our nonprofit educated a hundred recreationists how to minimize their impacts, through a humorous quiz and prizes. But education is not a panacea.

Today I used the rock drill to shave part of a ledge along the trail. Adjacent to the trail are dozens of bicycle tracks trampling vegetation, partly because this section of trail is way more difficult than the trail is rated to be. Drilling here will restore the nearby plants.

As illustrated in IMBA's Trail Solutions book, the way we maintain trails today shapes mountain bike trail access tomorrow. After seven years of caring for trails, I can safely say that the lowest impact in the long run sometimes requires accepting some impacts up front.

Still I guess one could argue that curtailing erosion and off-trail travel does not justify the temporary noise. In that case, please help me maintain the trail with our old set of hand tools. Otherwise, send a donation in place of an eye-roll, and come enjoy Sovereign Trail.