Thread: Basic Stuff

Killer of Chains
    Feb 2004

Basic Stuff

Just cutting some logs.

Simple stuff.

Our goal is to minimize ATV traffic on this trail, hence not cutting all logs, and cutting notches at angles to limit the ability of dirt bikes to get through them in tight spots.

It's not much, but we're pretty much the only people doing it.

mtbr member
    Not to bum you out...but the ATV's by us would either:

A) Go right over that

B) (even worse) go around and make double track braids thru the bushes...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Where's your FSTA approved outfit? he he he he.... (or not so funny).

I had used a chain saw prior to my training, but know somebody who got their face rebuilt thanks to a chainsaw, and the training gave me even more respect.

I also suggest the training because you learn how to work with the saw more effectively too.

Good luck.

Killer of Chains
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Nebraska
    Not to bum you out...but the ATV's by us would either:

A) Go right over that

B) (even worse) go around and make double track braids thru the bushes...
    Well down here they won't bushwack too much, because it slows them down, and if they get stuck, they risk getting arrested.

Most guys zip up and down the trails once, and I've noticed over the years that one log will slow them down, multiple logs will piss them off, and active attempts to block the trail work pretty good.

Up river more the trails are wider, and there are less trees, and that allows the atv's to go wherever they want, but they don't build trails, just ride ones other people build. So long as you block the path ever 50', they'll give up.

This is why we leave the logs and cut narrows.

fountainheadproject.org
    Quote Originally Posted by bitflogger
    Where's your FSTA approved outfit?.
    I got my Forestry Certification this year and was out Saturday doing three hours of blow down clean up.

Long Story Short - I broke a guide bar tooth on a tree under multiple different directional tensions. The chain spun right off the bar and hit me in the leg. Admittedly it was a SMACK and not a cutting strike but man I was glad I was wearing certified chaps, 8 inch boots, a helmet, ear protection and eye protection. So ten minutes later I was replacing the chain and flipping the bar and not heading to the hospital.

I'm a believer in the safety gear...............

L