mtbr member

Backyard pump track - need help with possibilities for a narrow part of yard

I'm trying to design a pump track for my triangular shaped backyard (see attached image). From what I've read, a 180 degree turn needs a 10' radius, but if I do that , I lose the use of at least half my yard. Even at 8' radius, I lose a lot. I marked the image with widths so you can see where the turn would have to be. I was hoping to do a figure 8 style track with straight lines connecting the sides of the 8 to offer different routes.

How can I get the track to use that space down at the bottom? How narrow can I reasonably make that turn at the bottom?

Backyard pump track - need help with possibilities for a narrow part of yard-backyard.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by guaps View Post
    From what I've read, a 180 degree turn needs a 10' radius, but if I do that , I lose the use of at least half my yard. Even at 8' radius, I lose a lot.
    Reference? Here's a counterpoint, inparticular:

If you have speed, 10 feet is a nice, railable 180-degree radius. If you’re trying to make speed, about six feet is better. – If your top turn is too big (say much more than r12 feet), people won’t be able to pump it for speed.
    Our block has 20m in length but only 4-5m in width for a pump track, so I guess you have to work with what you've got. Good luck!

mtbr member
    check out this one . . . .

My Backyard: Zach Dank and Friends - Mountain Biking Videos - Vital MTB

you can have a 180 berm as tight as 6 foot radius. but it will be super-quick. you have to build it tall and steep--almost to vert, so you can dive sideways into it and immediately boost out.

mtbr member
    This is all great news. Source? Doesn't " I read it on the interwebs" count? haha. I'm sure I'm mixing up all the different numbers I've read in the forums about bump height to distance ratios, turn radius for speed vs pumpable, etc, etc. I can do a 6 foot radius pretty easily.

I really like that Zach Dank track. I like those rollers that are kind of double rollers (one higher than the other) that can be used to pump or double up and jump it. Very cool. What do you think the radius of the two 180 degree turns are there? 6'? I hope my track turns out that fun...

i'll post a my design idea when I get something on paper. Thanks for the help!

mtbr member
    Info and pic of tight 180 berm. Remember your bike is about 5 1/2 feet front of front tire to back of rear tire.

Lee Likes Bikes

With a 6 foot radius, you're going to get 18.8 feet of surface around the 180. That's barely more than 3 bike lengths. If you imagine a 180 berm as a sideways half pipe, 6 foot radius is very tight. Definitely rideable but tight.
    You also need to factor how much the backside of your berm slopes out. The most outer edge of where there is dirt may well be like an 11 foot radius.
    Check this out:
    DJ , Pump Track plans
    Last edited by cmc4130; 04-05-2013 at 11:55 AM.

mtbr member
    I personally would build a wood quarter pipe in that corner. For only 8 wide you get to turn 180 and pump for speed ....

mtbr member
    Great article from Lee, thx. I like the idea of building a small support wall so the berm isn't as wide from the back filled dirt. I could save a lot of space that way.

Quote Originally Posted by cmc4130 View Post
    I personally would build a wood quarter pipe in that corner. For only 8 wide you get to turn 180 and pump for speed ....
    I thought about this, and I love the idea. But the way I got sign off from the wife was to sell this track as a place me and my kids could ride. My kids are 8 and 5 so a quarter pipe could be a tough sell. Besides, it adds significantly to the cost - my budget for this is $0. I think the quarter pipe will be an upgrade in a couple years...