mtbr member

backyard obsticals

Anyone have any designs of blue prints for stable features that can be taken down and put away. Skinnies and things like that?, looking to make some skill building stuff for the backyard.
    2012 Giant Reign 1

I build my own.
    OK it's not a feature because I never had to put mine away. this is a shavehorse/work bench. It would work well as a skinny and it comes apart. It's very solid and stable. It's a split log with the legs compression fit into round mortises. You can easily pull the legs out but the weight of the log holds the whole thing together.
    backyard obsticals-p30-11-11_18-43.jpg
    I have a device that can access the total knowledge of man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and argue with strangers.

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    Some ideas:

First your going to have to be more creative if you want stuff to play on then store away. It will have to fold or pack up to consume less room and you will have to figure a way to get it to stick to whatever you have to put it on, dirt, concrete?

Think light as possible since you have to haul it in and out

12 foot lengths of a 2x4, 2x6, 2x8, 2x10... ect layed on the ground as practice skinnys, easier to store but not very difficult. You can elevate them by making sawhorse type end to them. Elevate one side or both.

PVC pipe, costs a bit and can be slippy, but you can split it lengthwise and apply grip tape or cheap soda to make skinnys. You won't be too high off the ground either You can also screw wood planks to it for skinnys.

Heavier more work to store:

Logs of different diameters & lengths, can be bumped together to form a section, or stood on end to make a section, just depends on how high you wanna go. You can screw all kinds of wood sections to these.

Wood pallets(usually free) and can be hooked together to make a mirad of stuff.

Old wire wooden spools(usually free) You can cut off the ends to lower them and nail skinnys to them also.

An old 55 gallon drum layed on it's side makes a good go over section, bury it in the dirt a bit or strap wood to it so it doesn't kick out.

If ya wanna get more involved, make boxes of different sizes that fit together to store, but can be joined together to play on.

I have also built a big section on a flatbed trailer that we used in competitions, we would roll it out and stuff unfolded from it making ramps and different lines to get up on, and over the trailer.

I would say start small, make stuff that can adapt so you can change out your layout.

I build my own.
    This is made with about 7 sections just laid end to end on the ground. the directions of the curves can be switched around and if you put logs under it you can make rollers (sort of).
    I was building this for the middle school bike club to store in their shed and pull out into the parking lot on riding day. Never got it finished before my wife made a bonfire out of it and all my log furniture.

backyard obsticals-backyard3.jpg

Just a little log skinny. Not much to it.

backyard obsticals-backyard2.jpg
    I have a device that can access the total knowledge of man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and argue with strangers.

mtbr member
    im thinking i could poor cement into buckets with bolts in the top to create solid anchors to make angled or straight skinny set. then i can swap up the lengths and width of board and change the position on the fly, just undo the bolts and turn them..

Hmmm i think this will work. changing hight may be tricky, although if i dropped a block with an angel cut into it unto the bottom of the bucket then knocked it out after i would have a pre set resting place.

hmmmm

my yard isnt huge and i want to avoid permanent structures. although i can always stash pillars and block int he shed with the lengths. Just trying to get more comfortable with raised skinnies and doing step ups and step downs on them.
    2012 Giant Reign 1

I build my own.
    Deck blocks are already built like that. Check your neighbour's yards. they may have a few to give away. They're really sturdy too.