Thread: Back Yard Trail

Owner Epic Biking

Back Yard Trail

I live in a neighborhood that has 5 acre lots with a horse "trail" network. The horse trail has an official route, but for the most part doesn't really exist.

Over the years I have worked on the part behind my house, taking the trail out of the bottom of the gully where the water runs and making it to where it is actually usable. This fall I got ambitious and finished the trail through the gully. Then I started making the trail wind up a hill that will make a nice 5 mile single track loop when it is finished.

At this point I had a few other people join in with the trail building. We had a lot of fun working on the trail until the snow got too deep. Anyway here is a video of part of the trail that goes down Tickville Gulch.
    www.epicbiking.com
    Biked to the South Pole, check it out at:
    GoFundMe
    blog
    Facebook page

mtbr member
    Looks like a fantastic trail! Nice flowy singletrack, gorgeous views and scenery! What more could you ask for?

Where is this little gem located? Looks like the Rockies or possibly Sierras?

Owner Epic Biking
    Eagle Mountain, Utah.
    www.epicbiking.com
    GoFundMe
    blog
    Facebook page

mtbr member
    What a beautiful place to live!

I need to go see the Rockies one day. Those fields of wildflowers surrounded by blue, blue mountains is like something out of a storybook. Driving through the flats of Wyoming, it looked JUST like a perfect scenescape oil painting. Just as perfect as every perfect picture I have seen of it. I only saw the salt flats of Utah too, it was pretty ugly and boring You live someone quite a bit more beautiful Will have to head further east next time I go through!

Your trail takes great advantage of these beautiful natural elements of the area. Very nicely done!

Owner Epic Biking
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikemaya View Post
    I only saw the salt flats of Utah too, it was pretty ugly and boring You live someone quite a bit more beautiful
    Yeah, Utah has a lot of variety. I'm on the fringe of the ugly part of the state. :-) Big open basins with nothing much but sage brush. But when biking out there, it is amazing how nice it is to have views that stretch out for 40 miles or more.

Then in the mountain areas the single tracks through the pine, aspen, and maple forests are my favorite places to bike. And then of course everyone seems to be familiar with the red rock and desert mountain biking of southern Utah. It is beautiful down there but I still like the trails in the Wasatch mountains the best.
    www.epicbiking.com
    GoFundMe
    blog
    Facebook page

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbeagle View Post
    I live in a neighborhood that has 5 acre lots with a horse "trail" network. The horse trail has an official route, but for the most part doesn't really exist.

Over the years I have worked on the part behind my house, taking the trail out of the bottom of the gully where the water runs and making it to where it is actually usable. This fall I got ambitious and finished the trail through the gully. Then I started making the trail wind up a hill that will make a nice 5 mile single track loop when it is finished.

At this point I had a few other people join in with the trail building. We had a lot of fun working on the trail until the snow got too deep. Anyway here is a video of part of the trail that goes down Tickville Gulch.
    Really fun looking trail. How did you get the dirt on the trail, did you dig up all the grass or spray chemicals. When I build them I find that its hard to get the whole thing dirt.
    Typo, it's supposed to be Trevor4
    By B

Owner Epic Biking
    Quote Originally Posted by tevor4 View Post
    How did you get the dirt on the trail, did you dig up all the grass or spray chemicals. When I build them I find that its hard to get the whole thing dirt.
    Well, this is a very dry place, we are lucky if we get 11 inches of precipitation a year, and most of that comes in the winter as snow. So between me and horses riding it the path turns to dirt real fast. There were also quite a few places where I had to dig into the cliff or side of the hill to create a tread, so these places naturally end up free of vegetation. It is amazing though how if a trail doesn't get used, even with the lack of water, the natural vegetation grows back quickly.
    www.epicbiking.com
    GoFundMe
    blog
    Facebook page

mtbr member
    Excellent! It would be awesome to have dirt singletrack behind my place instead of paved paths...

Owner Epic Biking
    Tried to ride the trail today with my snow bike. Utah's famous light fluffy powder isn't the greatest for biking.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Back Yard Trail-image.jpg  

www.epicbiking.com
    GoFundMe
    blog
    Facebook page

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    That's awesome! I lived in Logan fort part of this year and I regret not mountain biking more.