I think we should go back
    Nov 2008

Anyone have this problem?

Well yesterday I went up to the mountains and did the wide trail and it was a little snowy up there but my backtire kept on slipping like crap. Front and back tires are .80 x 24.0 inches. Coming down just doing the slightest turns I was about to slip and when I even touched the brakes almost always the tires would just skid. Since I had such little traction I was afraid to go any faster than about 5 mph coming down when I want to be doing at least 10 mph and my tires slip even on dirt when I turn kind of sharp. I can imagine how much fun it would be to have a higher traction tire and never have to worry about turning really easy and slipping on every little thing. It looks really fun when people are just cruisin right through the woods on their single track down hill trail and they turn so fast and sharp and I think to myself, How do they do that without spinning out? I weigh about 90 pounds if that has anything to do with it? Could it just be I need a better, wider tire with more traction? Thanks

turtles make me hot
    I would guess a skinnier tire would be better for you. A fatter one would probably float over the surface even worse. I weigh 260, so I have no such problems. Actually, I rode in a little snow yesterday as well and it was slippery.
    I did notice that I got the best traction when my tires cut through the snow and reached the dirt.
    I like turtles

I build my own.
    This isn't the best forum for tire advice.

Try Wheels & Tires

In my experience, deep snow and mud requires huge knobs but for anything else that is loose (light snow, gravel, sand, dry dirt) a skinny tire with a "groove" or "track". That is treads in the middle of the tire and treads on the outside but a noticeable space between them.

Prez NMBA
    Jul 2005
    my initial thought is its a tire pressure issue, I think a wider tire with a lower pressure would be the ticket for traction, assuming its not just ice, then studs are the answer