Thread: Advocacy Help

mtbr member
    May 2004

Advocacy Help

This may be a little outside the normal relm of this forum, but seems like the group here is the most likely to be able to help. The race team I've started is working with some local schools to get kids out riding bikes and trying to build interest in the sport. We have some activities planned but having never done any type of rider education before any help in forming our program would be great. A few topics that would be great to hear on (if anybody has done this type of program before) include:

1. Information to include in pamphlets to hand out

2. How to structure rides with younger kids (6-10)

3. Resources that might help in getting kids interested in riding that might donate materials

4. Anything else that you think may be helpful in getting kids out enjoying their bikes

Thanks for any feedback/info you can provide.
    Blogging about nothing since 2005
    http://devinrides.blogspot.com/

Single(Pivot)and Happy

Go to www.imba.com

A wealth of information. Click on "resources" . Good luck.
    The suspension of your bike sucks if it's different than mine. Really. It sucks. Big time.

Probably drunk right now

I know someone who can help you....

Quote Originally Posted by dmccune
    This may be a little outside the normal relm of this forum, but seems like the group here is the most likely to be able to help. The race team I've started is working with some local schools to get kids out riding bikes and trying to build interest in the sport. We have some activities planned but having never done any type of rider education before any help in forming our program would be great. A few topics that would be great to hear on (if anybody has done this type of program before) include:

1. Information to include in pamphlets to hand out

2. How to structure rides with younger kids (6-10)

3. Resources that might help in getting kids interested in riding that might donate materials

4. Anything else that you think may be helpful in getting kids out enjoying their bikes

Thanks for any feedback/info you can provide.
    I can't help you but if you go to the Passion forum and page Berkley Mike, you'll tap in to a wealth of knowledge. He runs a kids racing program in CA.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Thanks for the direction, IMBA has some good stuff and I just sent Berkeley Mike a PM.
    Blogging about nothing since 2005
    http://devinrides.blogspot.com/

It's about showing up.

Got your PM

We need to talk on the phone but it really comes down to this. Gather them together adn bring them back alive.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    The Flagstaff Biking Organization has some very active programs regarding introducing kids to mountain biking and for bike safety. Here is a link to one of their programs.

http://flagstaffbiking.org/youth-mountain-bike/