mtbr member

Action Packer for storing trail tools

I feel like I've seen pics on here before of someone using an action packer with a slot cut out of the bottom to store/ cache trail tools out on the trail... searched and can't find the example anywhere... any help?
    "There are two kinds of mountain bikers in the world: those who are faster than me, and me."

That makes me smart
    This doesn't make sense to me, at least in my case. It's too much of a hassle to go back & forth to a certain spot to fetch tools. This might save me a ton of money though, I have a boatload of tools out there that I forgot where I left them. But they wouldn't fit in there anyway, the handles are too long. Is that what the slot is cut out for, the handles? Now it makes even less sense.

These days, I wrap my B&D clippers in a heavy-duty plastic bag & hide them near where I last finished.

mtbr member
    On the Front Range of Co, we have lots of different Open Space Parks that consist of trail systems. Working with the local land manager, we have set up some "Adopt-a-trail" type groups for some of the parks. Right now, we are stashing tools trailside (hidden, etc), but these are very high-traffic areas, and as we get more and more volunteers involved, there is more vulnerability, thus looking for a way to lock them up. Job boxes are too big, heavy and expensive. An Action Packer could be easily moved from one project day to another, and still allows for volunteers to ride into the trail system (vs hiking with tools from the parking lot, which is the alternative).

With a 2" slot cut along the bottom of one end (or on both ends of the short sides), you can stick the handles through the slot, but the heads of the tools remain inside the action-packer and can be locked up. Again, I saw this somewhere a year or so ago, but can't seem to find it now...
    "There are two kinds of mountain bikers in the world: those who are faster than me, and me."