mtbr member
    Sep 2009

ZS Headset install...just to make sure

Cane Creek ZS-3. I'm pretty sure I got it right, but it def didn't match the parts list/instructions.

Instructions say install crown race, then lower seal, then cart bearing. Well the headset only came with an upper seal and it looks like the crown race has the seal built in? So I'm assuming crown race then cart bearing (no seal required)?

Second issue is I have 3 leftover shims that the instructions fail to mention what I'm supposed to do with. I think they're extra parts for an IS install, but want to make sure I wasn't supposed to stick them somewhere?

So my install went crown race -> cart bearing -> lower cup -> upper cup -> cart bearing -> comp ring -> upper seal -> tube cap... obviously start nut and screw too.

Other than that I gotta say I saw no reason to take it to a shop. This was my first time doing it and it took me about 1.5hrs including beer drinking. Only pita was getting the head tube length right (I was afraid of cutting it too short so I errored on too long twice.
    08 Bar 2.1 FS
    09 Rockhopper frame 17" FS

http://theboyaintright.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by jahkneefive
    ...Second issue is I have 3 leftover shims that the instructions fail to mention what I'm supposed to do with....
    From the Cane Creek owners manual.....

"2.If the headset binds when tight be sure that the
    preload bolt is not too tight. If binding occurs
    while the headset is still loose check the gap
    between the top cover and upper bearing cup.
    If there is interference you can insert spacers
    between the compression ring and the top cover
    to increase this clearance. A lack of clearance
    here is likely due to a steerer tube that is less
    than 28.45mm in diameter."

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    ha i read that and for some reason assumed when I saw the word spacers it was talking about the stem/handlebar clearance and breezed right off the rest of the sentence. Lol that what I get for not completely reading the whole sentence.
    08 Bar 2.1 FS
    09 Rockhopper frame 17" FS

http://theboyaintright.blogspot.com