mtbr member

Zinn and the Art of Mountain Bike Maintenance

For those that work on their bikes and have read Zinn and the Art of Mountain Bike Maintenance; How would you rate this book on a scale of 1 to 10? (10 being the best).
    LIVE! - RIDE! - LIVE!

mtbr member
    Aug 2005

Its a great book, well written and humorous. I know most of the stuff (Pats self on back...) but it is a great reference when you brain cramp or get caught with your pants down. Also has some great info on bike set up.

Riding or Fishing
    It's saved me quite a bit of cash, and helped built my wrenching skills.
    I'd give it a 9 for sure.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the replies. I've been a general wrench for years, but I just want to no more about how to maintain and repair my bike... besides it really helps to impress my non-wrench bike buddies.
    LIVE! - RIDE! - LIVE!

Perpetual Hack
    I have it as well. Awsome resource. However, check the revision date to make sure it's current.

michael

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    it is good. but for some of the newer parts, the park website is better.
    i have used the book alot.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by crackhead
    it is good. but for some of the newer parts, the park website is better.
    i have used the book alot.
    I like to have a book to look things up in... I know sometimes I'm hopelessly old school. I figured I could use the park site as a good companion to the Zinn book.
    LIVE! - RIDE! - LIVE!

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    After working on cars, and just starting to work on bikes, the drawn diagrams used in the Zinn book are superior to photographs used in other books. They show exactly how the parts come together and what they look like separated. As opposed to photographs which show the part as you see it put together.

Happy Trails,
    Maxwell Jones

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by titanmax
    After working on cars, and just starting to work on bikes, the drawn diagrams used in the Zinn book are superior to photographs used in other books. They show exactly how the parts come together and what they look like separated. As opposed to photographs which show the part as you see it put together.

Happy Trails,
    Maxwell Jones
    That is exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for... thanks for the input.
    LIVE! - RIDE! - LIVE!

mtbr member
    A long time ago I bought Zinn's book about a month after I bought my very first bike.

I learned how to do everything on my bikes using that book without ever having to take it in to a shop. Every winter, I tear all my bikes down and rebuild them and will still always have the book out and at the ready "just in case". As mentioned, the diagrams are awesome, it's written in a good tone, and there's a reason why whenever a thread comes up about "which repair manual should I buy" it's usually the only paper one recommended (as you know most of the other recommendations are for the online manuals). I'm a bit old school, and much prefer it to any of the online manuals I've seen - although I will sometimes recommend the online manuals to someone that is just looking for specific information regarding a single repair.

I'd give it a 9.3, with the loss in points coming from the fact that it will eventually become out of date as parts advance. As it is, I've only updated my copy once in all my years of riding.

mtbr member
    Thanks again to everyone for your replies... it looks like this book is just what I've been looking for. I'll be picking up a copy after I get paid this week.
    LIVE! - RIDE! - LIVE!

mtbr member
    thanks again to all that replied... I just ordered a copy Zinn and the Art of Mountain Bike Maintenance along with a few other things from Price Point.
    LIVE! - RIDE! - LIVE!

Wanderer
    Also check out http://www.parktool.com/repair/ which I prefer more than Zinn tho my copy of the book is rather old now and out of date.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Toff
    Also check out http://www.parktool.com/repair/ which I prefer more than Zinn tho my copy of the book is rather old now and out of date.
    The Park Tool website has been pointed out to me and it is useful, but as I've dicussed before I'm a bit old school sometimes and I prefer to have a hard copy of a repair/owners manual in my hands.
    LIVE! - RIDE! - LIVE!

ride like you stole it
    Nov 2007
    yea the park tool website is great for specific issues but I like having Zinn's book because it was great to just read through it when I was just a newb working on my bike (I'm still kind of a newb but at least now I'm informed)
    I lubed my disc brakes because they squeaked.
    Man was that fun to work out

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I keep it above my bench and never go to a wrenching session without it. It has saved me bank on shop maintenance fees, made me more confident in my equipment.

1-10? 10.

banned
    Feb 2008
    I must rush out and find a copy of this book ASAP. I don't even have the patience to order it online. I'm also stoked to have just bookmarked the aforementioned Park website for future reference.

Thanks to all for the awesome thread!

mtbr member
    The big brown truck dropped off my copy of Zinn today along with my new riding shades. Even after just quickly thumbing through the book I can tell that it's going to be an invaluable element of my bike repair "tool box".
    LIVE! - RIDE! - LIVE!

Wanderer
    Oh you will *easily* save the cost of the book the first time you use it.

mtbr member
    I would give it an 8.5-9.

As with any "How To" type book dealing with a topic that has technology constantly changing, I found my copy became out of date quickly. It does provide good fundamentals but I bought mine just as disc brakes were getting popular so they aren't covered. I would really like to have a good reference for dealing with brakes other than what I own so I can help friends on their rigs.
    Ventana El Rey
    On-One Inbred EBB SS
    Felt F35

here today
    Quote Originally Posted by Strong Steve
    Zinn and the Art of Mountain Bike Maintenance- on a scale of 1 to 10? (10 being the best).
    Goes up to 11, in certain sections. Off the top of my head, I remember that he suggests greasing the fork crown race prior to fitting it. Road days, I learned you don't do this, but half the web sites differ.

local trails rider
    It has been a while since I had a copy in my hands ... but I think the Zinn books (various editions) are great for getting an understanding on how things work in general.

For stuff on a specific component, the manufacturer's instructions are very useful. For example, I've gone to Shimano's website pretty often to find product manuals.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Good repair manuals never go out of style...I'm still using my 12 year old copy of Zinn's book, and although it might not have the latest and greatest info on some parts (suspension for example) the nitty gritty stuff that never really changes, like hubs, drivetrain and wheels, it is still invaluable. I've considered picking up a new edition, but have neve really figured ou why I need it, since my 12 year old copy does everything I need it to do.

Tim