mtbr member
    May 2013

New question here. Yet another creaking bike ... but only with a twist

I've been using my custom build steel hardtail for little more than 6 months now and for at least 3 of those there has been a creaking coming from the front end of the bike. I've been through all the usual stuff, i.e. BB, headset, bar/stem interface, seatpost, dropouts ... you name it I've checked it. At one point I had an issue with a set of carbon bars that weren't correctly torqued, but I wrote them off in a crash a month ago and now have a set of aluminium ones.

The issue I have seems to be fairly unique as I can't find it any forums. The main difference is that it only occurs while track standing the bike and turning the bars at through at least a quarter turn at the same time. I managed to reproduce it repeatedly by holding the wheel in between my legs and twisting the bars with a fair amount of force. I decided to clean the dropouts again, and check the bars and stem. I then did this without any pre-load through the headset to eliminate the bearings and sure enough the noise was still there.

If anyone can help me with this I'd be very grateful.

If it helps the kit up front is a 2013 Reba fork with a 9mm dropout, a hope hub based wheel with a 9mm rws axle, a hope stem and Spank Spike Evo 777 Bars.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    fork steerer to crown connection

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Why do I get the feeling that short of a new CSU there's no real fix for that :P

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Is your QR lever really tight on the front wheel? You can also try a different wheel off another bike to see if it's your wheel.
    Can you say Full XO #22.68 salsa moto rapido

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Being an RWS bolt instead of a normal QR they don't get much tighter and as for the wheel I'd be very surprised as its relatively new and hope. I did try twisting the bars with the fork clamped rather than the wheel and was able to produce the same noise.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Take the headset, stem, bars and wheels out, clean everything with degreaser where appropriate, if you have press in cups, I would make sure they are pressed in all the way, up a super thin layer of grease in the races, if it is sealed. Grease all your threads, and torque everything. If it persists, I would try your saddle. Make sure the post is cleaned, and then regreased take your saddle off and drip some light lube on the place where your rails attach to the seat and where the clamp attaches to the post and the seat/clamp arear is lubed too.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    If he can do it while standing over the bike and holding the tire between his legs I would think that effectively rules out anything with the seat post.
    2013 Giant Anthem Advance 27.5-1

2014 Giant Propel Advance w/ Ultegra