mtbr member
    Apr 2013

X9 shifter and rear derailleur extra click?

So I was working on a family members bike. It has x9 click shifters and a x9 rear derailleur. The hanger was bent so I used a dag-2 to adjust it. So then I started working on the derailleur and didn't actually have to do much to it. It shifted fine all the way up to the biggest cog but then once the chain was on the biggest cog the shifter still had one more click. Is there any reason for this? The click also didn't seem like a regular shift click, it felt more "empty" if that makes any sense, and nothing happened after the click, the chain stayed on the biggest cog. So I dropped the chain back down to go through all the gears several more times. If I did a fast click, like pressed it all the way in, I felt this "empty" click and it wouldn't shift a cluster of gears, just maybe 2. This didn't happen every time though. If I could make it through all the gears it happened after the largest cog every time though. Does anyone have any thoughts?

mtbr member
    stop forcing the mechanism, you're wearing down the plastic ratchet parts inside. pretty soon you'll kill it for good.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    What do you mean?

mtbr member
    It's normal for sram shifters to still shift once your in the lowest gear / largest cog. It just doesn't go anywhere and feels a bit stiffer than a normal click.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Sounds like either your cable shifter cable is not adjusted or your H and L screw is not adjusted correctly.

To adjust... remove/loosen shifter cable from the rear derailleur. Next adjust the H screw so it is just under the highest gear (smallest cog) just right in the middle the jockey pulley.

Next reattach the shifter cable to the rear derailleur (this is to assume you had your shifter already set to highest gear prior. Now move the rear derailleur to the lowest gear (Largest diameter cog).

Now adjust the L screw. When you try to shift to the next gear up...it shouldn't let you. It will move some the rear derailleur but not jump into the your spokes. This is to adjust your high and low limits.

B screw adjustment is to help you jump up 2 gears. The knob on your rear shifter will be adjusted high and low and play with it until it doesn't chatter and it's quiet..do this in both directions...do this through various gears... you should be adjusted correctly then if your drive train is straight.